THR 19 Months Out - Weak muscles causing problems

Things continue to improve with the lift in place. I can feel my hip muscles getting stronger each day and I have little, if any pain anymore. Think it's just a matter of time for things to get back to normal now and my hip feels very stable. I'm impatient, of course, but it's so welcome to see progress again. Come June, I'll be able to do some water walking in the pool and I'm sure that will be a benefit too. Right now, the weather is doing it's typical Midwest thing and going from cold to warm almost by the day. That's March in Kansas! I can't wait to be able to tote those 40lb. bags of mulch for all the beds and garden! Come on, Spring!!

Glad to see things are getting better.
Spring is in full bloom here... Hopefully we won't get an errant frost as all the flora here are putting on their Easter colors...
Wysteria, Daffodils, crocuses, Knock out roses, dogwoods, pear and apple trees...
and the maples are budding!
Love Spring

Jamie,
Great update and happy to hear all is improving each day.
I'm so looking forward to Spring and watching bulbs we planted last fall (about 40), come up (hopefully)! LOL! We planted bulbs that squirrels don't like so if they dug them up they would discard them.
Weather is changeable here in New England as well but longer days are on their way.
Mojo,
Love Spring as well, gives us all hope for new beginnings. We went walking in neighborhood Monday and crocuses were up in one of the neighbors yards, hearty little people!
Years ago I used to walk my dogs with an older lady friend and around mid-April a daffodil field filled with thousands of daffodils would bloom near her house. To this day I make it a point to drive over there to see them.

@myglasshalffull .... I love daffodils and would be awed by a whole field of them!

One thing I meant to mention about my recovery and muscle strengthening process. I've discovered that if I wear stretch leggings during the day, they provide just enough compression and support to keep my out-of-shape muscles happier as I walk about and do stretches. I discovered this quite by accident, but think it would be a good recovery tip for both knee and hip patients. At least for me, this little extra support is very welcome. I normally don't wear leggings very often, but I found some Danskin ones with a brushed finish at Costco that were so reasonable I couldn't pass them up. I bought a pair in wine color and liked them so much I bought more in a dark teal color. They launder beautifully and were a real bargain at under $15 a pair. For some reason the brushed finish also doesn't attract my dog's long white fur either....double bonus! Oh, and they have pockets for my phone. The lack of a pocket on most stretch pants is the reason I haven't worn them in the past.

Yes!I have compression shorts….leggings definitely a thought!

Leggings with pockets, yes please! I love leggings this time of year but mine have no pockets so I will look for the ones with pockets for sure.
Thanks!

Leggings with pockets, yes please! I love leggings this time of year but mine have no pockets so I will look for the ones with pockets for sure.
Thanks!
These were Danskin. I purchased my last ones online at Costco. They come in wine, teal, and black and are only $14.99. They come in all sizes, including Plus sizes. I highly recommend them!

I'm still using the 1/2 inch lift in my left shoe and things are slowly improving. Today I was able to run some errands without using the cane. I had to walk slower than normal to get my gait right. Walking is a bit more challenging out there in the world rather than around the house where everything is flat. But, I noticed that by the time I got home I was walking better and my leg felt more "stretched out."

I stopped taking the Celebrex on Sunday to see how things go. But instead, I am taking one 500mg Tylenol each morning to allow me to have less tightness as I start my day. Today was the first day for that and it seemed to work fine. I'd rather take the Tylenol than an NSAID, so hopefully it will continue to work.

It was interesting on my errands. When I went into Home Depot, I took my cane because I knew I'd be doing a lot of standing and walking. Using it actually made my back hurt. I must have been leaning funny with it. So for the two grocery stores, car dealership, and vet clinic errands, no cane and it was much better. I even hauled in the groceries with just my own two feet! Hooray!

Jamie,
Don't forget to use the Eman's shopping cart therapy!
It's strange how you really have to make your brain go "heel/toe, heel/toe" when walking.
I think some of us have tendency to scuff along, especially for me if I have slides on and not closed in shoe.
Sounds like a very successful outing. Now let's get to some nice Spring weather.

Home Depot and the big box stores are demons to walk in!

I ended up having to go back to the Celebrex. After a couple of days, my hip muscles were getting tighter each day and I was not walking as smoothly because of it. So, I guess I'll do the Celebrex for another couple of weeks and try again. When the body is not ready, it's really NOT ready.

I did buy some rather cool new shoes for summer, though. Crocs now makes an "tennis shoe." They look like cloth mesh, but are really the Crocs foam made into a mesh style. The footbed is just like a Crocs slide shoe, which I find very comfortable. The price was really good on Amazon right now too, as they have a special promotion going on. Here is what I bought:

1678347764249.png

The blue color was only $29.94, which I think is a bargain. Since they have an enclosed heel, they are sturdier than my Croc slides that I like to wear around the house and garden. And I love that I can just throw them in the washer if they get muddy. I bought a couple more of the lifts so I don't have to keep switching them all the time and they are still working.

An update on my little brat of a hip…..

I guess I was meant to be a poster child for the “it takes at least a year for full recovery club.” I had my right hip replaced in August 2022 and have experienced a lot of soft tissue problems that resulted in a continuing muscle weakness problem, some pain, and limping.

First it was knotting up of my thigh muscle tissues. I had physical therapy for this for a couple of months after the first of the year and eventually the muscles stopped knotting up with consistent pressure point therapy applied to the knots. Fortunately my therapist taught me how to do this myself after a month or so with her, so I was able to do the process at home immediately when the knots would appear rather than wait for my sessions with her.

But, then just as I was getting ready to start working out in the yard and garden to help with the muscle strength, gait, and limp, I discovered I had a detached retina and ended up having emergency surgery on both eyes on April 2nd. That was some experience, as my vision was impaired for a couple of months as my right eye healed. There was a gas bubble placed in the eye after the surgeon did his magic and it took that long to get replaced by normal body fluid. In the interim, my vision was blurry and my depth perception was very bad. So, I didn’t get to be as active as I normally would have been during April and May.

But eventually I was able to get out there and do cleanup and planting. It has helped dramatically with my leg strength, balance, and gait. I have season tickets to dinner theater and I was so pleased this past week to not only be able to attend, but to walk up the long steps, get my food from the buffet, and carry my own plate to the table. Up until then I had used a cane on the stairs and had the staff make a plate for me and bring it to the table (a service that the theater provides for attendees who have mobility issues - GREAT program!). I was able to do the stairs just fine with no balance issues at all.

I still have more recovery to go, as my strength kind of comes and goes. But, it’s so wonderful to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was beginning to wonder if I’d ever walk normally again! I wore the lifts for a month or so, but was gradually able to transition away from them and still walk okay. I’m assuming that, as I got stronger, my tilted hip normalized again to where it was prior to the hip replacement. This was also a big relief, as I was hoping not to have to deal with lifts forever.

I suspect all this may have improved a bit faster had I gone back to therapy for assistance. But it takes so much time to go twice a week and do all the exercises, that I just decided to go it on my own instead. And slowly but surely, things are better. After all, my hip was wonky for a very long time before replacement and I think during that time all my muscles and soft tissue learned how to compensate. Some muscles became stronger and others atrophied. So, I‘m expecting full recovery to be a while longer and I’m okay with the gradual improvement.

I also may have developed some bursitis along the way because at times there was some pain on the side of my hip when I pressed on it. I have used my heating pad at night and that has pretty much gone away too. It would come and go over the months, but putting heat on the area and taking either and NSAID or Tylenol now and then seems to have done the trick.

Here’s to good days ahead with a strong, new hip!

Wow, Jamie, thank you for your detailed update! I, too, am undergoing the post THR "it can take a year (or more) to recover" process. I had the surgery in Oct 22. My lower spine began to give me issues, as you may remember, so I underwent a series of epidurals and that did help. But beginning in June I realized I also was dealing with soft tissue damage in knees and hips. I'm now doing myofascial release therapy. Still early days, but I'm hoping I'll feel gradual improvement.

I'm so sorry that you've encountered "one thing after another" in your recovery, but so pleased you're seeing progress with the latest therapy.

I admire your perseverance and courage!

Merrimay

I'm so sorry you've had so many issues this past year, but am very glad you're seeing improvement (pun intended!) and are able to do more and more. I totally understand how hard it is to have to depend on others for basic needs, and how delightfully freeing it is when you can do more and more on your own. Thanks for the wonderful update-I was wondering how things were going.

So sorry to hear about your problems but pleased to hear you are making progress. So thankful that these days we have the people with the expertise and technology to deal with things like detached retinas.
Best wishes for your ongoing recovery.

My saga back to normal hip functioning unfortunately is still continuing. I have some periodic episodes where I feel weakness in my hip muscles and some pain when walking for any distance. My movements are complicated by lumbar pain that makes me feel "stiff" a lot of the time.

The lifts work for a while, but then they don't. A recent visit to my podiatrist contained a discussion of custom orthotics. I had recently pulled out 20-year-old orthotics (could only find one, but thankfully it was the right for my surgery leg) and it actually helped my leg feel stronger and more stable. The podiatrist felt I definitely had a leg length difference, but it still could be related to a tilted pelvis, if that has not resolved. We ordered new orthotics and I'm going to give them a try. I also plan to visit a good neurosurgeon here in Kansas City to discuss the possible relationship between what I'm experiencing and a diagnosis of lumbar spinal stenosis and Ankylosing Spondylitis that I received many years ago based on some spinal x-rays.

It's been more than frustrating to not be beyond all these problems after my hip replacement. But, as we all know....everything is connected to everything else in our bodies and it is quite possible that what I'm experiencing originates from somewhere other than my hip joint.

@Jamie I'm sorry you're still struggling. I know what it feels like to hope a surgery will make everything better, only to be hit with the reality of our bodies. I hope you can find answers, and maybe some fixes, for your issues soon.

Hope you find some answers for your continuing hip challenges and back pain. Have you had a full length x ray to measure LLD? :flwrysmile:

I'm sorry, Jamie.
I do hope you're able to get to the origin of the pain and take measures to resolve it.

I pray that you find a permanent fix for your hip and back.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mahaan98
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom