TKR 10 Days After Surgery Back Flaring

Say what!? A rationale to purchase more shoes! I'm there!! :dancy:

Jokes aside, you're right. I have had to take inventory once again of my shoe, eh' collection and another pair must go (heel too swept back for good balance). And for sure I put in new inserts into a few. A run down shoe is not good for our brand new knees.
@Cstucky Have you purchased new shoes since your TKR? Wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern can cause aches and pains. You don't have to replace every pair of shoes - just the pair you wear most often.

Last edited:
Hi Jaycey,
Oh my gosh! What a great tip. I’m going to get some ASAP! Thanks so much. Fingers crossed.
The pain is sharp and sudden, like a dentist touching a nerve in a tooth. And it’s on the knee replacement side. Happens several times a day. But I’m walking in old shoes 30 minutes a day 5x a week on the treadmill. I will keep you posted after I try my new shoes out.
Gotta love BoneSmart!

But I’m walking in old shoes 30 minutes a day 5x a week on the treadmill.
You might try easing off all this walking as well and see if this settles. Or try ever other day to give that knee a rest between walking sessions.

I had my TKR in August 2018. Last winter, I wore my winter boots a little bit; no problems. This year? Nope. Tossed them out and they’re the last of my pre op footwear to go.

I should say, all my left shoes were built up with a lift after my first THR in 2014 left me with a leg length difference. This may also be a reason they were uncomfortable.

I think for some of us going through back pain is inevitable. I had a few back problems prior to surgery but not too bad. About 3 weeks out back pain was nearly intolerable for a few weeks. My PT says it is a result of changing your gait. I limped a certain way for years and how my leg was straighter and everything's was different. I iced and elevated more, continued with PT and eventually my back settled down as I got used to new alignment and limped less.

Jakakio, thanks for the encouragement. What your PT says makes sense. The new knee is doing so well I’m hoping the back will follow! Appreciate your response!

YES! I think that IS a factor re. some back discomfort. My gait has changed a bit. Body still settling into the new knee. It takes time. Thankfully most of my shoes are still useable.
...My PT says it is a result of changing your gait. I limped a certain way for years and how my leg was straighter and everything's was different. I iced and elevated more, continued with PT and eventually my back settled down as I got used to new alignment and limped less.

This is a happy, grateful post! A little over 3 months since my TKR, I’m thrilled with my new knee. And finally my back issues are manageable, most days not very painful at all. I’m able to walk 30-40 minutes with no pain in my knee or back and no negative after effects, so knee newbies take heart!
Daily, I do strength and flexibility exercises given by my therapists. And these prompt my questions. I continue to have restrictions with my ROM in bending. When I stopped therapy outside the home at 8 weeks, because it was too aggressive and affected my back, I was at about 128 degrees flex. I am hoping to improve and that going down steps will get easier as I continue to work my new knee..
I’m hoping someone can tell me what to expect as I walk the walk with my new knee. Thanks BoneSmarters!

As time goes on, your knee will continue to improve and you'll forget about your knee completely. But, this takes time.

128 bend is great at 3 months! Good going.

Thanks for the input. I’ll keep doing the exercises I’ve been given and walking.

I'm Back! Bone Smarters--SCARED and need some input. I had TKR on Nov. 5th 2019. All has been going well. The back isn't flaring as much and I'm walking about 3-4 miles and biking sometimes around 10 miles, which I started earlier this month.
I've been very thrilled with my replacement, but today had a scary moment. After walking 3 miles on a chat, flat trail, my replacement knee felt like it move left, out of place. It was odd. It immediately felt swollen and tonight it caught again with some fleeing pain. I'm nervous that I've overworked it, but I have been stretching every night and doing light strength-building. Has anyone else had this happen to them with a perfectly preforming TKR? Thanks for any help you can offer!

I think you have overworked it, even though it seemed things were going fine. At 5 months you are not quite halfway healed, in this year long recovery.

Back off your activities and give your knee time to settle back down, then add activity again gradually.

You’ll be able to do those walks and bike rides, but you need to heal first.

I agree with Jockette. You have been doing quite a lot for a new knee that's not even halfway through its healing process. It was probably a combination of what all you've been doing that finally caught up with you. That shifting feeling could very well be fluid that has been building up inside your knee, making it unstable. Take a few weeks off of your excessive activities and see if it improves. If not, be sure to call your doctor.

Thanks to you both! I’ll take your advice and ice too. So appreciate the input. It’s easy to go to the worst case scenario at times. Love BoneSmart!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Flag100
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom