TKR ‘Hard’ knee

Thank you! Yes, I'm doing fine. Walking without a limp and continuing with physio. Still have a long way to go before I'm 'back to normal'...whatever that is now!!? :) :-) (: All is good!

It has now been 8 1/2 months since I had a TKR on my right leg and 4 months with a TKR on my left leg. Right knee is at 125°. I still have a swollen numb area several inches wide right of the knee cap. Left knee is at 118° and is still quite swollen stiff and numb. I have been out cycling (today 3.5 km) even though it’s a bit painful. My PT said it’s good exercise to help get ROM back and to help heal.
I am a bit concerned with the swelling and numbness on my right knee especially being as I’m almost at 9 months post op. I doing scar tissue massage on each knee for a few minutes each day.
I know that everyone heals differently. I would like to know if I should or shouldn’t be doing something else.
Thank you

:thud:

I still have a swollen numb area several inches wide right of the knee cap. Left knee is at 118° and is still quite swollen stiff and numb. I have been out cycling (today 3.5 km) even though it’s a bit painful. My PT said it’s good exercise
Do you still ice at all? I carried on icing for about 8 months after exercise- as long as my knee was warm and any way sore.
I am not a cyclist- walking is my preferred exercise. But I do wonder if it's a good idea to push the distance if it is painful? Four months is still quite early on your second knee.
My numb area has shrunk and is now not really noticeable at 18 months- although if I test it carefully, the patch still feels slightly different. It also is more unpleasant if it is accidentally knocked but otherwise I really don't notice it.

Good to know that your numb area has shrunk and that it’s taken 18 months. I know it’s going to take time to heal, I just have to patient.
No, I haven’t been icing my knee. My PT says it’s not necessary now :what:
I do get confused with the different instructions on how to heal. My PT and surgeon say to push ROM otherwise it won’t come back fully, whereas BoneSmart says the opposite. Although I agree at 4 months I probably went a bit too far on my bike. I do walk also and that is obviously better for healing as it’s not so painful.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I do get confused with the different instructions on how to heal.
It is hard to figure out who to listen to. But, with so many differing opinions, it seems that they all work, to some extent, for someone. So, do what you feel is right for you. There’s no one right way to recover, there are many ways to recover.

This is why this next paragraph is part of the Recovery Guidelines:

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

No, I haven’t been icing my knee. My PT says it’s not necessary now :what:
I think your body is a better guide to what works than your PT.
I really liked my Aircast Cryocuff. It was lovely and cool but not as icy cold as ice packs. I would have a really good walk in the morning ( getting back to 10,000 plus steps after a few months) -then ice and elevate with the newspaper or a book in the afternoon.
I also did about 30-40 minutes of gentle pilates for my knee and back most days.
I found that got my ROM back to within a few degrees of my other side without any real pain or pushing.

I’ve never heard of a Aircast Crocuff, sounds better than ice though. I’ll look into that. Although I’m hoping that I won’t have a need to ice any more body parts from now on. :loll:
Now that a few days have gone by since my extended cycling trip, my knee feels better and I actually think I’ve gained a couple of degrees of ROM. So maybe that was worthwhile.

Like you said, we should trust our bodies more and depend less on what the PT says. I’m all for that.

Might go out for a wee cycle again now. :bicycle1:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin