OATS - MACI Sowing my OATS

Excellent!

Yes the implanted nerve blocks are amazing at helping manage those first few days.
True that about the nerve block. If I weren’t going for an all day drive today I might have skipped the oxy.

Yikes! Sounds like a treacherous journey. Prayers for your comfort and safety. :prayer:
Please let us know you arrived safely once you're resting comfortably back home. Good Luck!
@ColoradoSnowman

Don't be surprised if you are very uncomfortable for a few days after getting home. Be sure to baby that knee and treat it just like a newborn baby, cause that's what it is!

I hope your trip home goes well.

I know we posted our Recovery Guidelines after your procedure last year, but I’ll leave them again as a refresher course for you now. Best Wishes!

Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello CS :wave:
How did your knee survive the journey home over the river and through the woods?
Actually, over the river and through the woods sounds safer than what you described. The 6.5 hour drive would have been be a nail biter for me fresh out of surgery. The close confines of a car seat isn't too comfortable. Hope you made it home safely and had a decent night of sleep. Let us know when you're feeling up to it.
Happy Wednesday!
@ColoradoSnowman

Hello CS :wave:
How did your knee survive the journey home over the river and through the woods?
Actually, over the river and through the woods sounds safer than what you described. The 6.5 hour drive would have been be a nail biter for me fresh out of surgery. The close confines of a car seat isn't too comfortable. Hope you made it home safely and had a decent night of sleep. Let us know when you're feeling up to it.
Happy Wednesday!
@ColoradoSnowman
All things considered the trip went ok. Had to do some real gymnastics getting in and out of the car with the leg brace on.

For what it is worth for other OATS curious folks. I’m 48 hours in and it hurts but the pain has remained manageable and the docs tell me the worst of it should be over shortly. It is challenging though maneuvering from locked brace to ice machine to fixed brace to continual passive motion machine, wash and repeat. All the time making sure not to put any pressure on the leg if it isn’t braced.

I’m getting better at it, but if I were in poor physical condition where I couldn’t do all these gymnastics I would probably need a caregiver.

Thanks for checking in. Spirits are pretty high but it is a long road ahead, so a marathon not a sprint.

All that maneuvering....
I remember thinking early on in my recovery from my first TKA "meds schedule, ice schedule, walk schedule, movement schedule... This is a full time job!"

Just checking in. I'm 6 days post op and was able to slowly make dinner last night and awkwardly drive the grocery store this morning and buy a few things. So though I am still spending 21 hours a day laying down, at least I am able to care for myself after 1 week.

I stopped all pain killers on day 4 and move better each day. I'm on a CPM machine for 4-6 hours a day and am up to 65 degrees.

Still get tired sometimes, knee is still very swollen, but the incisions all look very good, and the knee mostly doesn't hurt though too long in the CPM will sometimes get it a little achy.

Also any chance we can update the title, How about "Sowing my OATS"?

Hi! Sounds like you're coming along!
Are you able ice while in the CPM and taking several short walks as a break regularly?
I've asked moderators to update your thread title.

Hello and Happy Sunday!
I updated your thread title for you. Clever title!
Hard to believe you prepared dinner last evening and even made your way to the grocery store this morning. That must have worn you out. Icing should help with the swelling and being tired is normal. Your body is using energy first to heal, not leaving much for anything else. Best thing is...it's only temporary.
Hope you have a great week!
@ColoradoSnowman

Hi! Sounds like you're coming along!
Are you able ice while in the CPM and taking several short walks as a break regularly?
I've asked moderators to update your thread title.
Nope it is one then the other. But it is a short walk between the two!

Taking on and off the knee brace and swinging it around for CPM or ice machine without putting any bent leg pressure on it is undoubtedly my biggest challenge, but it get easier everyday.

2 week post op visit today and all looks good. Last of the sutures have been removed and x-rays of the knee show the plug being in place. I'm at 115 on the CPM as of this morning with just a feeling of a tight stretch at the top of the cycle.

Right now I don't really have any pain except when I'm in the CPM too long, on my feet too long, or as I did this morning I stretched while still half asleep and made my knee go ouch.

I have another 2 weeks until I start PT, 4 weeks until I get to start moving on from the brace, and 8-10 weeks until I get to walk without crutches.

One lesson learned on this for me was getting a temp handicap placard for my car. With my leg in a fixed brace I need a wide birth to open up my door all the way. If someone parked close to my car I'd never be able to get back in it.

That's it still a long long road ahead before I can start walking much less athletics but all seems to be going as it should.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing an update on your post op visit. Glad to read all appears as it should. Best Wishes as you continue healing!
@ColoradoSnowman

Hang in there! It will be great to read each milestone.

3 weeks down 3 more until I get to take off this brace.

I guess everything is going fine but I’m getting pretty achy from not being able to move much. Aside from some random aches, no pain. I use my CPM at 120 degrees for about 5 hours a day. Energy is getting better but I still get tired doing things. Some of it may be recovery but some of it is that it is really hard to do anything. For example getting up from the couch (CPM) to get a glass of water involves a couple minutes struggle to get the brace on then swinging the peg leg over the machine and then trying to brace myself awkwardly on the floor to allow me to rise with one leg sticking out.

So I kind of imagine that sort of additional effort to do things accounts for a fair bit of my exhaustion.

Yes I agree.
And you're still in the early stages of healing, so a lot of your energy is going straight into that metabolic process!

Hi ColoradoSnowman, :wave:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you're feeling a little less tired these days and doing well.
Enjoy the weekend!
@ColoradoSnowman

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cicada1952
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom