THR Zumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

@sandra

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Am 2 months post op and am doing well with hydro and physio but would like to do a Zumba class. Any info please?
Sandra

I'm six weeks post op. I did the Zumba warm up at our gym last Wed. I just did ten mins. I spent the rest of the hour on the machines. I'm taking things slowly and carefully...

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart. I'm going to post some general recovery articles for you that will help you understand the complete healing process for your hip. It actually takes more than a couple of months to be really back to normal again. You know what your body can tolerate, but I recommend you give it at least another month before doing Zumba. And even then, start slowly until you see what you can tolerate without pain. You'll know you've overdone it when you have pain and/or swellling in the days following the activity. This is why you must be careful and start with short times working up to longer ones over time. It is rare to hurt while you're doing the activity....the discomfort (or agony) comes in the day or two following. You want to avoid that as it can set you back in your overall recovery.

Now for the articles:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a therapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties