TKR Zombies Love to Dance<

Sounds like you're doing well! You're right that once you've been through it once PT is of limited or no use-- depending on your circumstances (and your PT.)

@Zommom Sounds like you're doing great, good job shutting down the PT.

Glad to hear you're doing so well. Wow, a near perfect gait already! :walking: I knew I'd feel jealous. :sick:
It sounds as if you've got a good handle on everything this time round. Does it feel easier in that sense that you've been through it once?

So happy for you but be careful of those sit to stand exercises because my kneecap broke in the middle of doing one. Strengthen later, I say!

Well I entered into the prestigious over did it club! Stupid as I knew better. Went to the cabin Monday and today to meet with a realtor on selling our summer cabin. Well of course I felt I needed to clean up and wash windows, vacuumed and sweep before their arrival. My 3 week knee is now screaming at me. not enough knee time and pampering so as I lay here with a double dose of everything my bratty knee is reminding me that it’s in charge.
@Motherbone i am so sorry about your sit to stand exercises and your broken kneecap! I will not be doing those for many weeks to come. One of the many reasons I am skipping this boot camp mentality these PT drill sergeants have
@Lindylee Hello my UK pal. To answer your question this knee is not behaving like the first. So as far as saying this may be an easier go because of the other surgery my opinion is yes and no ! One minute I think I know what to expect and then boom! It is different. Anyway I’m glad I did it and happy that my future will be better with 2 brand new shiny knees. I wish you luck on your second!

Hi, Zommom. I'm leaving you the activity progression as a reminder not to do too much, or too little, at any given point in your recovery. I read this article every day to remind me what I should or should not be doing, and it may be helpful for you also.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/

Also remember to ice and elevate as much as possible for a while to come, along with your daily living activities as outlined in the above article.

At least you know it's over and you can move forward as long as you don't keep overdoing it!:no-fin: We all do it though. It's easy to become complacent when we're feeling better, but those knees soon let us know about it. I hope it settles down again soon.

Well of course I felt I needed to clean up and wash windows, vacuumed and sweep before their arrival
No, you didn't???? Oh my goodness, a three week old knee should never be treated like this. Do nothing except ice and elevate that knee until she settles down. It will probably take at least a week or more so don't get worried. This was probably a pretty big set back in your recovery. Baby that baby knee!

@sistersinhim yes you're right and I am suffering from my stupidity. My quad muscle is tight and painful and the knee has swelled up. So yes this is a big set back. Haven’t moved around today just icing and elevating the knee and a heating pad on the upper thigh. Pain meds back on full schedule :tantrum:

I hope you feel better really soon. These visits to the ODIC, (over did it club) require big payments afterwards. It's best to stay out of there! I bet the vast majority of us learned that after an unwanted visit there.

Tough setback for sure. I feel I’m in early week 2 instead of 3. I will not and I repeat not be doing that again. The realtor wants to meet again this coming weekend for pictures. daughter and grandson coming to help hubby who has his own shoulder pain straighten up and organize. Yard work, stain deck, paint touch up. Guess what I’m doing. Your right I’m staying home elevating and icing and babying this knee. I feel so guilty but lesson learned not worth further pain and possible damage.

I know exactly how you feel. It is so frustrating when we have these setbacks. I could have kicked myself when I overdid it, took me 2 weeks to get back to where I was. You and your knee need lots of TLC now. I hope things improve very soon. :console2:

4 week anniversary! So glad I did this. I am still having pain so still on pain killers but have cut down. When comparing knee 1 with knee 2 I must say this one is a brat. I have had a set back and it is not easily forgiving but we are slowly improving. I am so glad I am doing my own bonesmart activities instead of formal PT as I can’t imagine (yes I can ) how the brat would feel. For the first time in 2 years I am excited to take a trip! South Dakota for a Car Show the 22nd. I actually am confident that I will enjoy it. Of course I need to cool it and not overdo but will be able to enjoy a change of scenery. Then back to work 1/2 days on the 26th! Hard to believe....

That's great to hear, so pleased for you. No overdoing it now :no-fin: Enjoy your car show and take it easy at work.

Hi good neighbors. Thought I would check in as it’s knee number 2’s 8 week anniversary. This one is sure taking its sweet time recovering. I developed a couple of nasty hematomas and they are painful. The medial and outer knee is still painful. OS was concerned about only 90 degree flex and 8 extension at 6 weeks and sent me up to PT. I wasn’t concerned but to make sure I was on the right track I went. I have a great PT this time around and have slowly reached about 110 flex and 3 extension. The pressure is still on about those numbers but I pretty much ignore them and do my thing. I have been back to work for half days and that has been good. I”m still on Tylenol extra strength 4000mg daily and also Tramadol at night. A lot of pain and zingers at bedtime! All in all I’m in a good place I just wish I was further along than I feel. Patience is not one of my attributes.

Yes, patience is difficult, but it sounds like you are making good progress. Sometimes pain at bedtime is just related to the cumulative activity you've had. Just keep an eye out for overdoing. If you can notice if it's worse when you've done certain things or a lot of extra things, reduce your activity a bit.

I think we all struggle with patience through this long recovery, you're not alone there. 8 weeks is very early. I was just at the stage of not thinking I should have kept well alone for the first at 8 weeks. The haematomas and pain can't help, but you know you'll get there with your determination and at least both are done now :yes!: unlike me! Back at work already :wowspring:that's amazing! By Christmas you'll be leaping around like a teenager :happydance:

That's great that you have a gentle physio this time. How's the other knee holding up and did you enjoy your car show?

Had a bad weekend - over did it. Hubby is having his shoulder replaced this Friday so I was the fetch and carry worker to help him out -We had a garage sale or as my brother in England calls it a Boot Sale. I regret my stupidity. Two days! Suffered all night. No sleep, back to icing full time. I was going to go to full days at work but half days for this week again. Not sure I will ever learn :gaah:. What a pair my hubby and I make with my knees and his shoulders! Looks like we will be in competition for my cooling machine. We have had rain the past couple of days and my knees informed me of the barometric pressure and dampness change in the weather so this is new development to add to my already inflamed angry knees!

My first knee is doing well. It will get a bit stiff and achy now and again if I over do it especially after this past weekend - but a couple of Tylenol and some TLC and it bounces back.

I am eager to enjoy the holidays this year with 2 good knees! Heck I may even go trick or treating!

Oh dear! It's so easily done though. I hope you hubby's op goes smoothly and that your knees soon calm down. I think you should definitely go trick or treating. Take a cane with you ready to trick anyone that doesn't treat you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member