TKR Zombies Love to Dance<

We’ll get that added for you.

@Cynof4 good luck to us both! June will be here before you know it!

@Lindylee gosh I was reviewing my latest posts and neglected to answer about the wearabouts of my brother. They live in Daventry I believe and commutes to the air base from there. He works the week there and heads home on the weekend

Daventry is a couple of hours away from us. I have a brother who lives not too far from there, lives on a narrowboat. Which airbase is he at? I hope you get your visit next year.

The countdown is on. Had my MRI on the right knee and it's severe degeneration of blah blah blah! I already knew that (I actually felt that knee collapse) but I guess the insurance company wants to hear it from them. Anyway, I am pleased we are starting the process - upcoming is the preoperative appointment. I received a call from the surgery prep people with a couple of changes since my last one in January. I will receive a different dressing one that i will need them to remove as the one I had before I was instructed to take off at the 5 day mark. Another change is that I will have a Scopolamine (anti nausea) patch placed behind my ear which will help with the nausea for 3 days. I also will not have to attend the 3 hour class. My favorite change is that now that I am on plavix I do not have to do the shots to bridge like I had to with the Warfarin - I stop 5 days prior and will be placed on Elequis after.

My left knee is doing pretty good. No pain. I will still get achy behind the knee and my bend will be great one day and not so good the next but I can do steps up and down (not pretty and its a slow process) and I am at 0 extension. I can't walk around a lot because of the right knee so that is holding me back quite a bit. My knee is also still a little warm to the touch but it does not want a lot of icing. I had quit PT at the 6 week mark and I have no regrets as I was back to work and walking on my own. I am still on the fence about starting PT after this one but will see....may be with a different provider if I do.

All sounding pretty good .Smokey. You'll be leaping around on two good knees in no time and I'll be jealous! Wishing you all the best for the operation and a speedy, successful recovery.

:headbang: OK, I went in for labs to have done for my preop appointment on Thursday. They check all the regular stuff and one of the main numbers they look at is your A1C. I have been very good about keeping it around the 6 mark. January before my 1st replacement it was at 7.1 and my surgeons office stated as long as it was under 7.5 they would proceed - well guess what, ladies and gentlemen today's reading was 8.3 :xmark: which according to the presurgical staff will be a no go! I am sick. This number has been rising due to inactivity with these painful knees! I feel like I'm in a catch 22. I am on metformin and victoza. My appointment with my PCG is coming up. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Surgery is scheduled for June 11th is that enough time to bring it down? I am just sick about this any comments would be appreciated

Zommom have you looked at the research on cutting carbs and fasting to bring down your glucose level quickly. Look at Diet Doctor and Dr Jason Fung, rather than thinking more or different meds that wont work in the long run.

@lisabl Yes the meds I am taking now are giving me severe digestive issues so I agree adding or changing them are not going to help. I hope the low carb and fasting will be enough to bring down those numbers by June 11th. I will try anything safe at this point. I need the surgery to get active!

I understand your frustration smokey. I spent a year trying and failing to recover from a bad PKR, and battling with my weight as I became more and more sedentary. Although not diabetic, I am obese and prior to knee problems had become very active over a few years, did traditional low fat diet and managed to lose 7 stone, then menopause and knee pain hit me and I put half stone back on. Desperate not to put all the weight back on I had worked so hard to lose I started to research in a big way how to change my eating lifestyle permanently. Then op number 1. (All health advisers say dont fast or restrict post op - so over 3 months I gained another half stone. Then started low carb and intermittent fasting which halted weight gain). Now at 2nd op recovery and naturally eating lowish carb diet, but not calorie restricting. Will start intermittent fasting properly again around week 8, and calorie restrict from week 12 (going on cruise week 18 so need to lose some weight before then!).

Keep posting, I will be praying that your op can go ahead as planned.

Oh that must be so frustrating Smokey. I'm not diabetic so can't help on a personal level, but all my husband's family are, except for him, and I'm pretty sure they can bring their glucose levels down quite quickly. On a separate note, someone I know gave up fruit juice, had eggs for breakfast and reduced hers quite quickly, but I don't know what time span. I'll keep everything crossed and hope the op can go ahead on schedule for you. :console2:

Update. I have been dealing with my OS team on the high AIC reading they absolutely will not do the surgery on my second knee if over 7.5. So my June 11 surgery has been postponed until July 9th. I was quite upset with the prospect of waiting another 3 months to have this test taken again but bless my Primary Care Physician who sent (with my permission) my readings since I was first diagnosed in 2014 to show that this number was not common and a "one off" they stated I should wait a month so I will retake it July 3rd. Unfortunately I will have a new deductible as of July 1st and will have to redo the preop exam but, I'm good with that. I have already lowered my daily numbers significantly by low carb, no sugar, and fasting! I have even lost 6 lbs in a week so I am certain I will be where I need to be.

I'm sorry your surgery date was postponed, but it sounds as if you're moving in the right direction. It should be all on for July.

Well done on lowering your readings and losing weight at the same time. It's a shame you have to wait,it must be disappointing, but your OS must have your best interests at heart. Good luck on 3rd July.

Hard to believe that it’s been 4 1/2 months since ole lefty was replaced. All in all I am pleased and anxious to get righty done. It’s been a challenge getting around as my gait is off. My right knee has collapsed and when walking my foot drifts to the right whereas my left is strong and I feel taller and my foot is straight forward. This makes for an unbalanced walk.
I have a question for anyone out there and I am experiencing some pain behind my operated knee any ideas on what’s causing that could it be tendons or ligaments and what can be done if anything sometimes my ankle will ache but for just a short period of time.
July is quickly approaching and I have been watching my sugars and carbs and getting good daily blood sugar numbers I just hope it will be enough to hit that number.
To add to everyone’s confusion I have changed my avatar! I found it hilarious and I love Zombie films!

Love the avatar, I change mine constantly depending on mood.

How about a new thread title, too?

I would think different things will bother your knee until you get your other knee done and complete the set.

Can you change my thread to Zombies Love to Dance

Yes we will.

Last edited:
Landmark day! I was dealing with some computer issues at work and without thinking got on my knees! I knelt for a few minutes and was able to get back up. My new knee felt just a little weird - no pain just a numbing sensation my other knee of course was not happy but I never thought I would see the day that I could kneel If I needed to.
4 1/2 months!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks