TKR Zombies Love to Dance<

@Lindylee rollercoaster ride for sure. sorry about your setback but hopefully getting back on track gets quicker and further apart each time.

This is a great report. Seems you are moving right along. Oh how I remember those long weeks in the beginning. It seemed like it would never end but guess what it did. I am back to living again and it has been so long since I can say I can walk pain free with my right knee but I can! This was the hardest recovery I have ever had in my entire life but I can say it has been 100% worth it. So happy to see you are doing so well. Congrats to us!! :dancy::happydance:

@donnag1108 I'm happy to hear your doing well and your right Congrats to us :yes!::friends:we worked hard and endured a lot!

Zommom A day of taking it easy, icing, elevating and paracetemol and my knee is much better tonight thanks. You're right, recovery is quicker the further along we are.:happydance:

Easter blessings to all. Went to an Easter Buffet today which was strange as I am the holiday cook but it was a nice break and the meal was great. On the knee news front - my operated knee is coming along nicely no pain and minimal attention but my other knee is now at agony def con one! I don’t remember being with this much pain with the other one. Driving is becoming difficult and walking is very painful. When I walk my foot turns out and it feels that the total knee has collapsed (not sure that’s medically correct) Nothing is helping it. Ice, TENS CBD oil. Hot tub, brace nothing. Tylenol does nothing. In desperation I called my OS office and had my May 10 appt moved up to May 1st. Even sooner if there is a cancellation. Best case scenario is I can have this done by end of May.
The weather here was great this past weekend so hubby and I drove down to our cabin and opened it up for the season. We had a discussion about continuing maintaining the cabin. My hubbys shoulders need replacements and of course my knee issues. A lot to maintain as we have an acre and a half for our home and an acre with 2 cabins and large shop. We have enjoyed 20 years but maybe now a new get away with no maintenance by us!

Sorry to hear you are hurting, hopes and prayers you get some relief before the second TKR.

That's a lot of land to be taking care of. Downsizing and getting something maintenance free sounds a good idea. Sometimes we have to be realistic about the future and, as you say, you've had 20 years enjoying it.
Good news on your new knee, but sorry to hear the other us giving you so many problems. I hope you get a cancellation and get some relief soon. :console2:

Would it be possible to hire someone to some of that work? I know that as I have aged and things took more of a toll on my body I also reached a more secure financial situation where I could pay someone else to do some of that work. It was originally hard for me to do that because I had always done the work myself but it has been liberating in the long run.

The cabin has been a discussion the past few years. Its nice to have but entails a lot of work and less time to actually enjoy it. We also feel tied to the place in the summer and would like to do some traveling. Using the proceeds to take extended winter vacations in warm climates. My daughter has their own cabin and my other daughter and family (grandsons) live pretty far away to just plan a weekend with us we have hung on because the grandsons would spend a great deal of time in the summertime but they are now at an age that they would rather spend time on their phones, video games and dating! They also have a camper. As far as hiring someone to so maintenance not a lot of options. Most of the nearby candidates are our age! The younger group shows no interest. Financially we are sound, husband is retired and I am still working full time so quality time is precious to me. Hubby is also meeting with an OS in June to schedule his shoulder replacement surgery. I am not sad but actually looking forward to a new path.

Extra stiff and sore today due to all the activity the past weekend brought. Took my walker out to work and started using it. I almost cried having to use it but it does help take the strain off of that bad knee. I am able to stand straighter as I find I am bending over trying to alleviate the strain the cane just wasn't doing the trick as I wasn't coordinated enough to switch hands for the knee! Ha!

I have only 1 scab left its a stubborn one but it won't be long. Both knees are trying to figure out what they want. One day its ice and the next its the hot tub. Diva's for sure.

Brilliant idea! We'll be heading to the Caribbean in about 4 weeks. Looking forward to sand, sun, warm water, and hopefully if the new knee goes along some scuba diving.

I'm with you. My husband was on about buying a holiday home, but I'd rather not be tied to one place, still so many places I want to see.
Hope that scab falls off soon. It sounds sensible to revert to the walker rather than added pressure on either knee. I know how you feel though. Sometimes I have to put my sensible hat on and take my stick with me. It's a shame I forget it when it comes to using a lift over stairs!

I’m ready to put on my explorer hat! Might even end up in England as my brother is there working at the Air Force base, as far as the scab it is a deep so I’m not going to force it since I am on blood thinners I don’t need that to start. I got a paper cut at work today and it took forever to stop bleeding. My walker is again getting favorable comments because of the seat and the carry all pouch so I’m good with just going with the flow as they say. Big appointment this Friday with the neurologist and hematologist to review the mri I had. Then my os May 1st I’m hoping for a quick or I should say short wait to get this knee done. My operated knee is sore and twitching tonight which means I did too many things today. Went to the grocery store and helped gather items for a charity on line auction along with work and throwing dinner together aah well it’s still better than pre surgery. I am hoping by August I will have nothing but good reports to share

Great news Smokey! I'm only 2 days behind you and it feels like I'm really starting to turn the corner in recovery. Hope everything continues to improve!:) :-) (:

Whereabouts is your brother? We have a relative living near Lakenheath in Norfolk. Good luck with your appointments. These knees soon let us know when they need to rest up. I ended up walking further yesterday and mine's feeling a little sore now and the unoperated one is starting to complain now that I'm doing more, but not enough to send me back to the OS just yet. When you're bouncing around pain free I'll probably be regretting not having it done sooner!

Happy May Day everyone. Its dreary and raining here making everyone's mood less than bright and sunny. I am feeling pretty good 3 months out and doing well my bend is continuing to improve just with walking and regular daily activities. Swelling is minimal since stopping PT - it was just too much going back to work and living life and PT so something had to give.

I had my followup from the stroke with my neurologist on April 26. Everything looked good I have very minimal residual effects from it which he was pleased. He suggested to get off of the warfarin and placed me on Plavix which I almost hugged him for. This is less intrusive in my life and simplified for surgery before and after.

I had my OS appointment for my right knee this morning and he agreed it's time. The soonest I can be scheduled is June 11th. One minute I am happy to finally get on the schedule and the next minute I want to throw up! the first surgery is still fresh on my mind. I can now say I had a winter recovery and a summer one.

Zommom I certainly understand how scary it must be to have to start this whole recovery again when you are just past the worst of the first knee. A summer recovery may be nice, one of my issues was being cold all the time because of the icing. My wife complained that I was keeping the thermostat to high, that was a first!:rotfl:
The cabin fever may be a little worse in early days though. Here's hoping things go even better with knee #2. :cheers:

Great news from the neurologist Smokey.
Gosh, I can't say I envy you going through it all again so soon, but on the other hand you will be fully recovered from both ops sooner and by the time I get to my second I'll probably be feeling jealous! At least you won't have the snow to contend with this time either. I hope it all goes well for you and wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery. :console2:

Zommom I'll be a day behind you with right TKR on June 12th. Here's hoping both of us get the pain relief and functional increase we're looking for on the other side!

I have to agree that recovering in the summer will be less stressful that winter. At least I will be able to maneuver better without the ice, snow and yes being cold especially icing the knee. Sitting outside with the warm sun with a ice tea, a book and pain meds (ha) sounds good to me!

I need to add that I had my right medial meniscus removal August 2018 if someone can place that on my thread

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back