TKR Zombies Love to Dance<

You have been through it. I admire your attitude. My husband worries about me, often far more than I realise. He enjoyed his morning off.
2 hours at a time seems to be the normal sleep pattern for me at present. I felt great when I went 4 hours one night!

@SnowHare Ouch! I hope you manage to get the pain under control without upsetting your stomach.

Here we go .... all the advice is starting to pour in - some good - but most are comparing where I am (on day 6 mind you) with friends who had a sister in laws cousin who was back to work at 7 days! I called bull puckey on that one. You should be moving around more to keep the blood flowing and then You would not be swollen and stiff, your laying around too much and others saying not to move at all - I should have had the surgery in the summer , fall or spring but not winter! Another great one is that they know someone who didn’t have to have surgery because of a wonder cream, pill or oil just on the market, and my newest one is don’t take those opioids you’ll get addicted! I have had 7 surgeries all recovering with hydrcodone for a few days but now I’m abusing drugs cause I am taking a couple a day. Ok I’m venting and I even turned my phone off for a couple of hours just to recoup my normally patient self. :banghead::censored::holysheep:

Yep, we have all been there!!! Other people’s comments were one of the biggest shocks of my recovery.

I also got shocked/disapproving looks if I didn’t handle some aspect as well as they did (like the pool therapy at 4 weeks)

Turning off your phone was a great move!

Zommom, I want to circle back to one of the drugs you mentioned, Celebrex. You mentioned you cannot take Aleve and Advil because you're on coumadin. I know from my nurse training that Celebrex is the same kind of drug as Aleve and Advil and therefore cannot be taken with coumadin. Is this something your surgeon prescribed? I realize that your situation may possibly (though unlikely) permit it.

Yes,the OS, MD and the anti coagulation team approved the short term use of the Celebrex. I questioned it as well and was told it was for the inflammation. I even double checked with the anti coagulation clinic when they called me with my INR numbers Friday. Not sure it’s helping or not :shrug: But they stressed no NSAIDs I had also taken it before my torn meniscus surgery August 2018. Since I did the bridge therapy and was off warfarin and using love nox prior to surgery and still using it while adding warfarin back in they may have felt it ok during this short term.:chinstroke:but I am sure gonna triple check!

Last edited:
Celebrex is an NSAID. Be careful.

I am so on your page. Everyone seems to know everything and none of it is the same. I have learnt to switch off. I now spend time listening to meditation clips, trying to think of something else and switch off. Otherwise I’d go crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had an ugly painful night last night a clear 7-8 on the knee Richter scale! Up most of the night and ended up taking two tramadol 6 hours apart and 2 hydrocodone 4 hours apart along with 2 Tylenol PM. I had been managing up to last night on 1 tramadol about 6 pm and then a hydrocodone at 9pm with a Tylenol PM chaser about 10pm calmed down about 5 am and I managed a couple of hours of sleep. Clearly I need to up my Tylenol through the day and add another tramadol. So exhausted and slow moving this morning and had to go in to clinic for blood work. I called ahead of time and let them know of my experience 3 days out of surgery they practically met me at the door - got me in right away all told maybe 10 minutes! I’m finding that I do have a voice in my care and I better use it! Got home and leg up icing ready for a nap when phone rings it’s my OS office checking on my 1 week progress. Asked if I started weaning off my meds HA! How does the scar look FINE! And have a reached 90 degrees! WHAT! I don’t know to be honest what I am? I told him no and he stated no problem your out only 1 week but they want to see this at my follow up appointment on the 13th. I’m going to look through this forum to what all these numbers mean. My OS told me 2 weeks elevating, icing and short frequent walks around the house. Too many cooks stirring my pot!

It's too early to start weaning off your medications.

Don't worry about your knee flexion (bend). Most surgeons don't expect 90 degrees until about 6 weeks post-op.

This is what the numbers mean:
knee-rom-small-jpg.50489

If you have a numbers-obsessed surgeon or PT therapist, don't get caught up in their obsession. Range of Motion (ROM) can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a knee replacement. There's no window of opportunity within which time you have to gain good ROM or all is lost. That's just a myth. As your knee heals and its swelling goes down, it will gradually start to bend more.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Your OS gave you the right advice,by the way. His sidekick, who phoned you, did not.

I’m finding that I do have a voice in my care and I better use it!
Yes! It's your knee and your job is to speak up on its behalf. No one else but you can say what will happen to it. Others can advise, but you have the right to choose whether or not to accept that advice.

Sorry to hear you had a bad night, hope things are improving pain wise. You may already know this, but have you tried putting a plastic bag on your foot before putting on the stockings? It makes it much easier and I was able to do mine on my own. It doesn't need to go over the heel otherwise it's difficult to pull back out. Once you've got the stocking on you simply peel the foot of the stocking down and pull out the bag - easy peasy!

@Lindylee Wow! Thanks so much for the stocking tip! Simple and effective :yahoo:

Had another wicked night last night:sigh: I will be so happy when these rough couple of weeks are behind me. I clearly need to adjust my meds and take some stronger stuff during the day especially when I need to leave the house to get my blood work done I also decided I should make a homemade pizza it’s was so good but dang that was not the brightest thing to do on my one week anniversary.

This weather is also depressing, cold, snowy and windy ! But I am thankful it isn’t nice or I would feel even worse not being able to be out! My wardrobe is also a miss matched menagerie of summer shorts , my ted stockings, fluffy gripping socks, long sleeved pajama top under a big sweat shirt. :giggle: An online Bonesmart fashion show should take place to review our favorite ensembles. !

oh that's miserable, so sorry you're having rough nights, hope you get the meds sorted soon. I think you're probably right that it was a little ambitious making pizza. I found I suffered one day after spending just a little more time on my feet making a sandwich, putting some washing away and doing a bit of dusting. Have an easy day today, get plenty of rest, elevation and ice.

Glad you liked the tip. Fashion goes out the window at times like this, not helped by the look of the TEDS, it's better to be comfortable. Maybe we should have a Bonesmart fashion show - we could all have a good laugh!

I remember nights were awful with my first knee. I spent 5 weeks sleeping in the recliner...but it does get better! As for fashion comfy is the only thing! Thinking of you

@DLR
I love my recliner. It just seems to hug me. It’s good to hear it does get better a few weeks out I appreciate any encouragement given.
@Lindylee
I agree a good laugh would do us all a world of good! I am enjoying the no makeup and no bra part of this too! :heehee:

Question ? I have a TENs machine that I used daily before the surgery when would it be safe to use after?

I'm sure I read you could use them once clips are out, but maybe wait for someone who knows for sure.

@Lindylee Thanks I did read that info on TENs I was just checking how soon after surgery a person can use it I did not see any time line on that. I’m assuming it would be ok at 9/10 days out :unsure:

Lots of people use their TENs post op. The article from our Library has a good illustration of how to place the electrodes post TKR>

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom