Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
gold
Oh granny, that's a bad knee! But now you have the hinged prosthesis that should take over from your 'given up the ghost' ligaments and it shouldn't go valgus any more. However, the repercussions onto other areas are bound to occur and having an unwilling quad is often one of them.

I just noticed - after scrolling up and down this thread half a dozen times! - that you haven't actually told us when you had the RH knee done. It must have been quite recently, I would imagine, for you to still be unable to do a straight leg raise.

Well, sometimes it can take a while to get that muscle going but it's not a big deal. Here are some little tricks you can use to try and help it;
1. hook your good foot under the ankle and use your good knee to help the leg raise
2. put a belt or similar around your foot and pull it up
3. put a rolled up blanket under you knee but above the joint and just try lifting the lower leg at first.

RestAssured

BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Interesting to hear about the developments of a new hinge joint 'rest assured'. Will be too late for me unfortunately but maybe an option when I get older. Any online references?

google legion hinged knee revision and several references will come up:biggrin:

OP
OP
grannyweasel

grannyweasel

Country
Australia Australia
Sorry about making a new thread :blush:

Josephine, my RH replacement was on March 28, 4 weeks today :)

wanna

Never had a Valgus or even a Rotating Hinged Joint (only a total Hinged Joint)

However, my ligaments were shot from an original rugby injury that shattered them and then the Carbon Fibre problem that finished them off.

I was moved onto the hinge joint because of ligament problems and (touch wood) so far so good. The Hinged Joint has certainly held the knee stable.

You mention about not being able to raise your leg straight during exercises - Do you have a lag on the leg?

For example I used to be able to push mine straight and then as soon as I used my knee extension and muscles, I then dropped a fair few inches and degrees. Think this was something to do with the numerous Ops which had damaged other things.

OP
OP
grannyweasel

grannyweasel

Country
Australia Australia
Wanna, I can lift my leg up, say, if I'm getting into bed, but I'm finding it very hard to do straight leg raises. If I'm sitting in my chair and lift my right leg, it has a 45deg bend. I've been doing what Jo suggested and putting my left foot under my right ankle to raise it straight.

The left tendon in my thigh is also damaged (my left hip's had 2 TKRs) so I used my crutch in my right hand in the past. I'm wondering if my brain thinks it's wrong to use the crutch in my left hand because of this :scratch:

You seem to have had a whole lot more operations on your knee than I would ever want - was it due to sports injuries or something else? I saw a post of yours where you said you were having another operation in May - is your hinged knee not working as you hoped?

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
gold
granny, would you be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do?
You can find the instructions here How to create a signature.
That also applies to anyone else who is reading this.
Thank you.

wanna

Grannyweasel, my original problems came from a very bad rugby injury remedied by an attempt to use Carbon Fibre to reconstruct the ligaments. The CF infected the knee many years after and has destroyed a number of TKR's and created big infection and tissue breakdown.

I am due for an op on May 17 but this is not due to the Hinged Joint which has been fine. Because of the massive infection before my last Operation and the knee leaking and been open in many places, I had to sit and was unable to move and start any sort of recovery for many weeks leading to a rapid formation of scar tissue which has led to very poor flexion and extension.

Sorry about the long story! But the Hinged Joint has been fantastic and very stable.

OP
OP
grannyweasel

grannyweasel

Country
Australia Australia
I am due for an op on May 17 but this is not due to the Hinged Joint which has been fine. Because of the massive infection before my last Operation and the knee leaking and been open in many places, I had to sit and was unable to move and start any sort of recovery for many weeks leading to a rapid formation of scar tissue which has led to very poor flexion and extension.
Sounds dreadful, Wanna! Well, here's wishing you all the very best for May 17. Hope you bounce back quickly ... and I'm very glad that your hinged joint is a success :dancy:

OP
OP
grannyweasel

grannyweasel

Country
Australia Australia
Well, I went to the shopping centre early yesterday morning with hubby. It was lovely to get out and mooch - I just stayed in one supermarket - then we came home and I flopped in the chair.

I must say the sensation in my knee was quite amazing ... never felt anything like it in the past. It felt like the right side ligaments of my knee were arguing with the left side ligaments ... left wanted to do the valgus bend while right was stopping it. It really was so weird :scratch:

Today the "arguing" has stopped but the pain is concentrated in the MCL area and is not very pleasant.

I've iced it twice today but it doesn't seem to have helped much :)

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
gold
Only twice? I iced all the time! Really, you can't ice too much. And did you take your pain pills as well? :wink1:

OP
OP
grannyweasel

grannyweasel

Country
Australia Australia
Just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone who's still on crutches ... make sure the tips of your crutches are not worn!!

I've been on one crutch for the past 5 years and I knew both tips were a bit worn but thought that being careful around the house would keep me safe. Hah!

Yesterday I walked into the bathroom, hit a wet patch on the floor and as I was slipping forward all I could think of was which side would be better to land on (both hips/knees have been replaced) :rolleyespink:

So - fellow crutch users - please check your tips and if you think they need replacing, do it before an accident happens :yes 4:

OP
OP
grannyweasel

grannyweasel

Country
Australia Australia
Thanks, Janet, but regrettably I ended up nose first in the shower stall :th_heehee:

It was a very slow "slip" rather than a "fall" and took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to get myself off the floor but I did it and found I got away with just bruises. Phew :)

Janet2012

big-cheese
I used my crutch going to the pool one day and noticed how slippery it was. They should have some sort of slip on cover for use in an indoor wet environment. I'l have to put my thinking cap on...glad you only had bruses!

bottomshollow

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
I am thankful that I was not required to use crutches. I would have found them more annoying than the walker and a lot more dangerous---probably would have hurt myself.

Walkers do get in the way a lot, but they are much safer than crutches or a cane if you are not really stable. I was lucky that I only had to use it for 3 weeks and then graduated to my two legs.

So relieved that you only have brusies and sore spots---you could really have hurt yourself seriously.

Janet2012

big-cheese
I am thankful that I was not required to use crutches. I would have found them more annoying than the walker and a lot more dangerous---probably would have hurt myself.

Walkers do get in the way a lot, but they are much safer than crutches or a cane if you are not really stable. I was lucky that I only had to use it for 3 weeks and then graduated to my two legs.

So relieved that you only have brusies and sore spots---you could really have hurt yourself seriously.

My crutches have a cuff below the elbow and a hand grip like a cane. More stable than a cane and easy to use going up and down stairs. And no sore armpits.

OP
OP
grannyweasel

grannyweasel

Country
Australia Australia
Janet, those are like the types I've got :snork:

I've never been able to use walkers - after operations for both my hips and my knees, I went onto a pulpit frame because both my biceps have "popped" and I have no strength in my shoulders, also due to torn tendons.

Judy -- I spent a couple of days on the pulpit then went straight onto crutches. I think it's great that you could go straight from a walker to walking without any aids :)

I saw my OS on Wednesday and he suggested I go to a rehab clinic at the hospital to help me strengthen the muscles so I can retire my crutches. Sounds like a good idea as I'm really wobbly on my feet ... had another slip in the kitchen last night so have more bruises :yay:

RestAssured

BoneSmart Staff
Country
My crutches have a cuff below the elbow and a hand grip like a cane. More stable than a cane and easy to use going up and down stairs. And no sore armpits.

Hi Janet,

I have the old fashioned crutches and they told me at PT, "If you get sore armpits, you are not using your crutches correctly!". So I have sore wrists instead.:hysterical:

OP
OP
grannyweasel

grannyweasel

Country
Australia Australia
It's amazing how these aids can cause pain, isn't it :biggrin: I have calluses on my right palm thanks to using my crutch so much! Sheesh! :)

Janet2012

big-cheese
It's amazing how these aids can cause pain, isn't it :biggrin: I have calluses on my right palm thanks to using my crutch so much! Sheesh! :)

I might pull out a couple of golf gloves so I don't get sore palms. And maybe wrist supports . Should make a sight!

What is a pulpit frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties