Zimmer next generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2667

Country
United States United States
I will be going in for a Bilateral TKR in July. The Doctor will be using Zimmer Next generation. Has anyone had this replacement and has anyone had any problems with Zimmer Next generation ?

I have Zimmer Nexgen CR. It feels so natural and has never felt like there is something foreign in my knee. It's not a high flex one as my OS told me he won't use them as National Registry records are indicating they are showing early signs of wear at the back. I have enough flex to do what I want to do on a daily basis.

I had a slow recovery but nothing was related to the type of implant as it was all to do with femoral nerve damage from the nerve block I had.

I have a Zimmer as well. No problems with implant and the OS is pleased with what he has seen on the X-rays. I'm 10-weeks today. Recovery started slow - heavy damage inside the knee compartment due to OA, two previous injuries, a knee scope and years of wear and tear. BTW, I'm back at work full time. You can read my recovery thus far on my thread.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

Thank you, Campervan and TLH Photo. I have been over 6 years with total bone on bone in both knees, can't take it anymore. As everyone here is saying ''I want my life back". I work for a company that makes medical implants, our sister company makes knee replacements. Not Zimmer. Like car makers, every company say they make the best. I just wanted to hear from people that have them. Thanks again.

I have two Zimmer knees done about 5 years apart. So one is 6 years old now. Both are just fine. But, as most surgeons will tell you, it is really their expertise with whatever implant they use that makes the greatest difference. If you have carefully researched your surgeon and he does a lot of knee replacements (not counting other knee procedures) each year --- like 200 or more --- then you should be just fine.

I have to agree with Jamie that the surgeon has the most to do with the surgery. I have Depuy Trumatch's and I could not be happier with my results. Good luck to you and welcome to Bonesmart.

RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Hi Mark, it's good that you seem to be approaching the issue with a healthy degree of cynicism, and aren't seduced by marketing hype. These companies always claim theirs is new, advanced and better, don't they, and dream up wonderful meaningless descriptions. "Rotating platform" comes to mind, among others.
I once saw a TV programme about engineering bridges, and it pointed out that each bridge was "improved", until one fell down (eg Tacoma Narrows), then they went back to the last design which didn't fall down. Is joint design driven by the same approach?
So, enough of my hang-up's, have you had a browse through http://www.njrcentre.org.uk/njrcentre/default.aspx ?
It's a UK site so might not cover your proposed implant, but it might help. There seems to be a patient feedback section, but I haven't explored it.

• Agree
Reactions: pdx
(I must be invisible - just checked to make sure my post is showing ... :wink:)

Mark , congratulations on the commitment to have a bilateral . Im your age with 1 new knee . I was bone on bone for about 7 years. Im alittle over 2 months out from surgery. But its already a miriacle how I feel . Obviously a single replacement is much easier recovery than a double. But im riding my motorcycle, walking with no pain or popping, cracking or cruntching. Even without a limp. I can pick things off the floor without thinking twice. Its like Christmas.!! Now, the first several weeks are unlike anything I have ever experienced but its very doable with proper medication and extensive amounts of elevation and iceing . Its never to early to start gathering up home aids for your recover, such as shower chair and commode riser. Best of luck , you found the treasure trove of information here on bonesmart .

Thank you, Jamie, Jozilla, Tykey and icep707 for your kind replies. Yes Josephine I see you, sorry i didn't the other day. I do understand that it is mostly the techniqe of the OS, but the proformance of the inplant is very important to me. My job that I have 20 yrs. to go, before retiring, as a Machine repair tech, consist of walking on hard concrete floors, climbing ladders, climbing in/out of machines, carrying heavy parts and getting into postions ( knees bent up and kneeling ). I have done a lot of research on each company that makes inplants, every one of them makes a "better then the next guy" slogan. But hearing from people that really have the inplants, how well they feel and work, is very inportant to me and finding this site, to hear from the driver and not just the OS and manufactures has set me at ease. Thanks again all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Mark, you can now go into it confident that you have done everything you can to make it a success, I look forward to hearing about it:friends:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020