Zero gravity chair for recovery?

Sabine

Country
Canada Canada
Has anyone used a zero gravity chair for after hip surgery? Any feedback?

I had to google it to see what it is. I'd say no way unless someone physically picked you up and put you in it and then lifted you out of it. Backing up to and sitting in a chair with steady arms is challenging at first and getting up is a trick too.

Do you mean this one? Because I'd call it an 'advanced' recliner ....

zero gravity chair.JPG

Only if it complied with the requirements I laid down in this article Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery!

Hi Sabine

I tested one out recently and fell off sideways. It wasnt stable enough for me.Too low, difficult to get out - as I tried to get out it tipped sideways.
I will be buying a recliner lift automatic chair...more stable and comfy.
Id say dont take chances with a new hip straight out of hospital.
What ever you use ensure its stable and there is not a risk of tipping and high enough-higher than your standard couch chair.
P.s. I am having my 1st THR soon but since im currently walking with a stick and limping, I wanted to test the chair in my current condition to best simulate trying to use a chair in not the best of hip health.
Hope this helps
all the best

I have a rocking recliner, didn't work post op as I couldn't get in and out easily. Bought an electric recliner that's not an ejector. On some recliners you have to push the foot section down with your legs as they don't have a lever, just a button. That doesn't work well post op as it's not easy to do that motion with strength. One problem with electric is if the power goes out, some have a battery backup.

very good points Eman85.

I bought my father a recliner a while back. It was a manual non electric push button of which he found it hard to reach the button and tbe foot section not only flips up frightenly fast but he cant push foot lever back down as requires a lot of leg strength and its the foot recliner being pushed down that brings the recliner back up.

I bought a regular electric leather recliner. It reclines the feet first then the back....so, I am hoping it will be ok. It looked like one of the recommended ones from this site. The one you are asking about seems pretty cool...but, I have no idea.

Does anyone think we have to buy electric recliner for one total hip replacement? I have couch with a couple lever recliners. Won't that be good enough?

Does anyone think we have to buy electric recliner for one total hip replacement? I have couch with a couple lever recliners. Won't that be good enough?

*Have* to? Nope - I did just fine with a sofa and an armchair for both THRs, using thick cushions to keep the height higher than normal.

I'd suggest you try a twin motor one - one controlling the footrest and the other the tilt back function. I imagine there are some leading brands in Canada. Only know about European ones.

I didn't have a recliner when I came oUt of hospital but someone lent me one a couple of weeks later. It's definitely comfortable but as I was ok for the first 2 weeks anyway it's definitely not necessary.
This recliner is electric and does the leg lift and back separately. It also has a heat facility (we were in the middle of a heatwave so haven't used that) it also has a massage function. Quite nice but a bit of a novelty really.

Thanks everybody for your feedback, for my first recovery are used a reasonably inexpensive outdoor recliner and it worked well and was comfortable with the addition of another question.
I’m going to have a look if I can find a used recliner that I can get rid off once I’m done with it. I really don’t like them and don’t want to spend the money on a new one that I have to keep

Hi Sabine, I'm in BC also and was humming and hawing about the recliner thing. I read the article and with the couple of furniture stores I went into, learned how to fit the recliner to me and my height, so what fits me wouldn't work for my 6'5" husband and our also very tall son. I made the recliner purchase in the end, along with an ice machine, as I'm having two hips replaced, 8 weeks apart. Had one replaced Sept 14, and will get a date from OS when I see him for check up on Tuesday. Even after the recliner arrived pre-surgery, I was doubting the purchase. However, once I got home from the hospital, and found sleeping in bed extremely uncomfortable, I've slept every night in the recliner and spend most of the day there as well, when I'm not doing my walking around! I keep rechecking sleeping in our bed, but it isn't working yet! I purchased an electric recliner with back and legs operating separately. It does not rock or lift me up out of it. It is also space saving...I think it is called a wall recliner or something along those lines. It is much smaller than the big rocker recliners I saw in the stores. We had a planned power shut off by BC Hydro on Wednesday, so they could work on the lines in our area. My Hubby fired up the generator for me, bless his heart! Anyhow, that is my two cents for what it is worth! :)

Thanks Altim, would you be able to tell me where you went for the 'fitting' of the chair and what you ended up buying?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back