THR Zbest85 in recovery!

Please don't do any type of leg raise at this point. You are only 2 weeks out and all that results is what you are feeling - aches and pains. Your op leg is healing. It does not need training of any kind including building ROM. That will come naturally when you start moving around more.

4 weeks yesterday!
I saw my OS this morning, he said all is well, x-rays look good and released me from restrictions and I can drive and go back to work.
We agreed that I should start off slow, so I'll work 4 hours a day next week then full time the week after.
The pain that I experienced with PT has pretty much gone away, the OS thinks we may have pulled apart some scar tissue, but as long as the pain was gone not to worry.
I only need my cane to get going after sitting or lying down for long periods.

All in all it wasn't a bad experience, very happy to not have the hip pain, and greatly appreciate the advice and guidance I received here.

@zbest85 At only 4 weeks out you are still very much in healing mode. Please take things very easy and you may want to stick to the shorter working hours for longer than just one week. Recovery can take many months for some and you just can't rush it.

Congratulations on your 4 week anniversary! Glad things are going well. I’ll be 4 weeks on Monday. The time seems to be flying by for me, not what I expected. I’ve been going cane-less a little here and there, I’m reluctant to push it even though I feel like I can. I hope all goes well when you return to work.

Have a great weekend!

@zbest85 At only 4 weeks out you are still very much in healing mode. Please take things very easy and you may want to stick to the shorter working hours for longer than just one week. Recovery can take many months for some and you just can't rush it.

I run the location where I work, my office is on the ground floor steps from where I park, and I'll have a scooter available if I need to move around.
I plan on doing the least amount possible and will pull back if I feel I'm doing damage.

Hope everything continues to get better and better, Z.
Life without hip pain is z best.:egypdance:

Slow and easy, tiger :heehee: It sounds like you're doing great.
Very early into recovery though and would hate to see you suffer any set backs.
ODIC is no fun.
Sounds like you can take it easy at work which is helpful in these early days of recovery.
A great week to you and best wishes as you continue healing!
@zbest85

Just wanted to give a quick update on my return to work, 4 hours a day since Monday, 1/2 hr drive each way.
Monday night I was somewhat sore, each day after that less so.
My range of motion and stair climbing has improved nicely, little to no pain.
Very happy with my progress at week 5.

Glad you are doing well, Z.
Onward...:walking:

Great news! Take it slow....just as you're doing.
Ice at night while you're relaxing on the days you're sore.
It's going to get better and better :yes!:
Enjoy the weekend!
@zbest85

Great news! Take it slow....just as you're doing.
Ice at night while you're relaxing on the days you're sore.
It's going to get better and better :yes!:
Enjoy the weekend!
@zbest85

I am amazed how different everyone’s progress is. I was doing fine till I sneezed and put my back out and got a bug . Three days on and off high temperature . Do folks making such fantastic progress take pain relief?

I am amazed how different everyone’s progress is. I was doing fine till I sneezed and put my back out and got a bug . Three days on and off high temperature . Do folks making such fantastic progress take pain relief?

I was pretty much done with the narcotic pain med at about 2 weeks, then Tylenol only, but as others have said, I kept forgetting to take it as the pain lessened.

6 Week update.
Back at work full time, moving pretty well, I am still weak/stiff when standing up from prolonged sitting, it takes a second for everything to fall into place to take my first step.
I was very stiff on my left side before surgery, I'm waiting another week before starting outpatient PT so I can heal a bit more.
Hopefully they can loosen me up.

Hi there @zbest85
Thanks for the update. It sounds as though you're doing well!
When you begin PT, take it slow and don't do anything that hurts.
I'll bet then can help loosen whatever needs loosening through gentle stretches and possibly
even some massage. Let us know how it goes.
A great weekend to you!

I am still weak/stiff when standing up from prolonged sitting, it takes a second for everything to fall into place
Super normal...I had the same.
I also went to work very early out of necessity...really wiped me out and not the best for recovery...
Hope you are able to ice while sitting and can get up and stretch out often.
Hope your weekend is relaxing, Z!

Beautiful day here near Cape Cod, I spent about 4 hours outside aerating and fertilizing my lawn, I'm happy to report that my back hurts.

Welcome to the ODIC (Overdid it Club)
Sit, ice, and elevate for the next two days!:unsure:

Hello just stopped by to share a new type of therapy in my neck of the woods after THR. I see your way across the country in Cape Cod. Lovely beautiful place. So nice to get out in the yard and do things to feel normal again. Hip hip hurray for you!

When your ready and surgeon has given the OK for Physio therapy ask about zero gravity treadmill. In the US all my physicians for all three hip surgeries prescribed PT I was up the next day.

The last hip revision I had I was introduced to the new zero gravity treadmill at the largest teaching hospital in the northwest in the US. Its the AlterG anti gravity treadmill. It's comfortable and safe with a anti gravity chamber created by air pressure. It helps preserve muscle and walking memory while strengthening patterns in movements.

The anti gravity treadmill helped build up my muscle and endurance without creating the usual trickle down effect of normal walking after surgery with total weight bearing. After each of my hip joint surgeries in my experience all the body weight and pressure is on the new hip, knee and ankle joints seemed to cause swelling and pain. Also had IT band /tendons and weak muscles after surgery. The anti gravity gravity chamber can be adjusted to different degrees of body weight from partial weight bearing to full weight bearing over time. Similar to water therapy except more control over muscles while walking/exercising with less body pressure. It took me about 22 days to get back on track without the usual back, knee and ankle problems I have experienced in the past. I was in convalescence while recovering and had therapy ordered by the surgeon three times a day beginning at small increments building up to as tolerated. It's truly amazing. Oh my goodness the technology created by NASA. Dont forget Velcro !

Many healing blessings sent your way!

Last edited:
Its the AlterG anti gravity treadmill. It's comfortable and safe with a anti gravity chamber created by air pressure.
I used it also after a few months into recovery.
Is wonderful!
Except wedgie from space pants!

I'm actually glad that only my back is sore!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back