BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Zbest85 in recovery!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by zbest85, Mar 15, 2018.

1. zbest85

zbest85 junior member

United States United States
    And I just pee'd for the second time!=)

So far so good, I was wheeled into the OR at 7:30 sharp and was lights out a Few minutes later, in what seemed like 5 minutes I was being woken up in recovery.
    I was very groggy for quite a while, even once they wheeled me into my room I was having a hard time staying awake,
    PT arrived shortly after and proceeded to get me on my feet, I didn't get too far before they saw I was turning pale and got me back to bed.
    I dozed off and on with my wife keeping me company, even though I was provided with a ice machine, I was told that my OS didn't want it used on the first day which I found odd but to be honest I haven't really had much pain.

I'm told the OS came and spoke to me, but I don't remember it, he told my wife that there was a lot of arthritis in the joint but that I had done well and said my incision was about 4" long, I haven't seen it yet.
    I requested a private room but ended up with an older very sickly man who requires constant attention not to mention the constant alarms and beeping.
    I had dinner and that woke me right up, my mouth and throat are very dry so I'm taking advantage of unlimited drinks and ice cream.
    They have me on low dose Oxycontin and Tylenol that seems to be doing the trick.
    Just waiting for my final dose for the night and hopefully my room mate and I can get a few uninterrupted hours of sleep.

I'll report back in the AM once I see what day 2 brings.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@zbest85
    Good for you!! Hope you get sleep tonite (keep the curtains pulled ) and the walking goes well tomorrow.
    At least you have an ice machine apparently some don't get ice at all. :shocked:

See you in the am!

3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:egypdance:glad all went well.
    Glad your pain is managed and you are on your way to Hip pain free life.
    Healing Mojo coming at you!:yes!:

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

5. zbest85

zbest85 junior member

5 days post op an I'm doing pretty well, very happy to be out of that hospital, the operation process was done very well, like clockwork.
    The recovery process not so good, the ward is right next door to the general ward, and being a city hospital, it sees it's share of people with mental issues, not the nice quiet setting I was hoping for, the bed was really uncomfortable, causing me to constantly need to shift position, or get up and sit in a chair, I pushed for a fast release so that I could get home and get some sleep.
    Once home, I finally slept and felt 100% better, I'm pretty much done with the narcotic pain killers and my Physical Therapist says I'm ahead of the program by a week and transitioning from the walker to the cane.
    I can get in and out of bed, shower, dress and feed myself without assistance.
    Oh, and the poop fairy paid me a visit this morning!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mojo333

:tada: all sounds great.
    Little forewarning...I had a bit of a honeymoon...I think it stems from a massive influx of endorphins stemming from massive relief!:) :-) (:
    Then, things started waking up and aggravating some.
    Might not be the same for you, but do take it slow and don't be surprised if there are ups and downs.
    Enjoy the ups, and I'm so proud for you that all is doing so well!
    Healing mojo coming at you.:yahoo:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Monday! Its so wonderful to be home.
    Showering, dressing and fairies visiting. Sounds like you're doing well.
    Hope you have a wonderful week as you continue on your healing journey.
    @zbest85

• Like Like x 2
  8. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@zbest85
    You're home! Sounds like you are doing well, I am super happy to hear you are so mobile!
    Don't do too much too fast though. Rumor has it there is a club here on BS
    you don't want to join...
    Did you get to take the ice machine home?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. NanaMama

NanaMama member

Look at you... "Unassisted Living" ... I'm sure 'getting home' helped with the recovery and getting to a cane already is awesome. (I used a crutch for a couple weeks!) The narcotics weren't user-friendly toward me ... I was on Tylenol from about day 5 also. Wishing you a speedy recovery.... and remember: "Ice ice baby" :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
  10. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Nice update @zbest85. I agree with @Mojo333, some days may be like a honeymoon, others not so much, but improvements continue. Transitioning to cane is a big milestone. I kept my walker handy for a few days, especially for middle of the night walks to the potty. Putting it away in the closet was a liberating experience.

11. Eman85

Eman85 senior

Glad it worked out. I laughed at your description of the hospital. I had very crazy hospital stays 50 years ago! Real experience for a kid stuck in the hospital!, lots of screaming and such through the night.

12. zbest85

zbest85 junior member

@BeBe, i was able to take the ice machine home, I'm using it now with the end of the bed raised watching some SyFy on Netflix.

@Mojo333, I hear you loud and clear, I can remember after having hernia surgery a few years back getting caught by my wife installing shelves in my garage, she startled me and the pull inside wasn't pleasant, neither was the earful that came with it.
    My PT warned me today to slow down and let the healing do it's thing.

@Eman85, What I witnessed in that hospital has me worried for our future, people today have total disregard for anyone but themselves, they feel they are owed something.

@Layla, you are so right, There's No Place like Home, I was clicking my heels together in the hospital trying to get home but the nurse scolded me for violating restrictions!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

Hey @zbest85 glad you’re doing well, but sorry about you hospital experience. Take it slow or you’ll end up a member of the Over Did It club, you don’t want to go there!

14. Eman85

Eman85 senior

My similar hospital experience happened a long time ago. My recent hospital experience was incredibly good. It really made me feel better about our healthcare system, it really surprised me. I live out in a rural area and went west to the big city on purpose for my surgeon. The hospital I was in is the old hospital in the group and will be shut down eventually. I was very pleased with the facility and the level of care. Every nurse was an RN day and night, trainees accompanied them but never came on their own. The trainees in some cases were LPN's that were back in school to be RN's, yet they weren't on their own. Plus we all had private rooms and my wife stayed with me.
    The ice machine is the berries! They placed it on me right away back at the room and I'm using it right now sitting in my recliner. I can't imagine anyone using ice packs.
    The restrictions are my biggest problem, constantly on your mind. It's actually worse when you get more limber to stop yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mojo333

You've got this...glad you are wanting this recovery to go well.
    Believe me, it's worth the patience...payoff is huge.
    I hope these hips of mine last forever...
    It was real...it was fun...but it wasn't real fun.:heehee:

16. zbest85

zbest85 junior member

So...
    My progress has been great, visiting nurses and PT all said everything was progressing better than expected. My PT was going well, increasing my walking distances and range of motion, almost completely off the cane, balance tests = 100%.
    I have been very careful following my restrictions and listening to all the experienced Hipsters here to not over do anything.
    Two days ago the PT and I walked a bit outside, came back in and did some of the basic exercises and then went on to stretching my hamstrings and glutes, which had been done gently and carefully, while on the glutes she hit a point that hurt a bit so we stopped.
    That night and ever since I have had pain in the hip area, walking today was painful on an incline where it wasn't the day before.
    Now I "think" I"m feeling a silent click when I walk, I can feel it at times if I put my hand on my hip while walking, I really don't know if it was like that before or if I'm now paranoid and worrying that we screwed something up.

I've been resting and and using my ice machine.
    Thoughts?

17. Eman85

Eman85 senior

What exercises is the PT doing with you, only PT I saw was one session at the hospital after surgery, after that just followed the handout myself. No one ever touched me or helped me. I did have the silent clicks early on, nothing now. I think it's more everything finding it's proper place.

18. zbest85

zbest85 junior member

@Eman85 the exercises are basic leg swings while standing, front back and side to side, stretching the calf muscles and then hamstrings, then some lying down leg motions, what hurt was when she had me hold my leg near 90 degrees and try to straighten my leg while lying down.
    I was very stiff on my left side for years prior to the LTHR, she was trying to increase that range of motion.
    Today I felt the same pain when I first got up after a full day of rest and ice yesterday.
    I'm back on the cane full time until this feels better.
    The visiting nurse is due here shortly and I'll run this all by her to see what she thinks.

19. Eman85

Eman85 senior

All of the starting,basic stretches I did and still do were lying on my back. I've heard others say they started doing the standing leg adduction/abduction and they had problems. I tried it and didn't go back to it until 4 wks, then it was a breeze. I lie on the bed and did the 6 basic stretches before anything. The hardest thing was straight leg raises lying down, but they also helped the most in the first 2 weeks. The other simple thing was heel slides in bed. Lying flat just slide your heel towards your butt slowly as far as you can go, it will get a little further every day. In 2 days I could see how much easier it was getting in and out of bed doing them. The only things I did standing up to start were heel raises and bending my leg at the knee lifting my foot rearwards, both I do while standing holding my walker. Then I sat in a chair and lifted my legs straight out. It was past 2 weeks before I started building from there. I've searched the net for THR exercises and some of the best info was on the replacement joint sites. All of my exercises are from the handout the PT gave me at the hospital and what is in my hip replacement handbook. Another simple thing was using a towel roll under the ankle for 15 min every hour you're sitting or laying down during the day. If sitting in a regular chair just put the foot on a table or foot rest to keep the muscles stretched.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  20. Mojo333

Two weeks out...not necessary to do much of anything except the light stuff and walking.
    Very early days and lots of healing happening.
    Hips don't need exercise to get well and you can work on all that other stuff down the road.
    You sound splendid.
    Have a restful weekend Z!:yahoo: