Hemi-Arthroplasty Zauberflote's Mom, Dementia & Hip Replacement

@zauberflöte hope today is a better day and Mom is doing better. It's so good that you're there to advocate for her. Make sure you're taking a little time for yourself to recharge and get some rest.
:angel:

@Jamie thank you! We know there are no magic words, and for that we have the hug you sent. I so appreciate your visit!!
@Mojo333 today better for me in that I am not going to visit Mom. So, recovery for one of us anyway!
@Elf1 thank you! I will find out how Mom is tomorrow, on tomorrow. All I know so far is that she took her morning pain meds. I forgot until just this minute that I meant to call at 2:00 again! Yesterday morning when I arrived, she was sleeping or faking it, lying square on the op hip :flabber: 45 minutes later, she awoke in pain, having refused her nasty pudding meds in her sleep. But to even be able not to be woken by turning onto that hip is quite something. Surgery was 8/1!!!!!! I couldn't sleep on either one for many moons indeed. I am glad for her.

Perhaps today is a better recovery day, because as I arrived there to meet the PT, the activities director met me and said that mom was going to be part of the group for the activity that he had just taken her in for. He is a special favorite where she is concerned, and I'm definitely going to remember him in my will, only soon :)
I just turned around and went home, instead of sticking around.

Hi Chris.. So glad to catch up on your thread and hear that today was a good day!! That's all we can ask for.
My mom lived out of state in Ohio and wouldn't even consider moving here to be with us. I had many times where it was drop everything and go. My MIL is not a nice person. She is in a senior living facility, which she chose. Too long of a story, but it's brutal at times. My husband is her only child. Ahh well.
I love that you were able to return home, knowing your mother was in good hands. :flwrysmile:
@zauberflöte

Thank you, @Layla !
Hip update: hospice nurse cam today and removed staples. She'd had a dose of morphine administered beforehand, and her phone message said there was no hollering. Also that the incision looked really really good, and nothing opened up while she was doing the staples.
I think I fell asleep while writing the above,,,,

Today's update includes report of Mom minimal pain (still on small doses tylenol+advil+tramadol x 6 hr or three times daily, with some of that available PRN) except on standing up. Yep. That hitch on starting off has reared its pretty little head!
@CricketHip I'm sorry about your MIL... I hate to hear stories like that. She may have a dementia? Nasty behavior seems to be what dementia can do.

Hip updates 8/21 Wed: PT came, took Mom for walk down to the end of the wing and back. We're going to try to get little walks into her care plan at the facility. The tramadol seems to zone Mom out greatly. She is, after all, almost 92! Maybe we can begin to wean that when next my bro shows up in a week. I'm going on a two week vacation in our favorite place in the whole world and have not one but TWO new bathing suits from that glorious end-of-summer Land's End sale.

Glad you are getting a reprieve and some fun in while the sun doth shine:swim: :SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:

Hip update for last Friday: Mom was observed walking to lunch. !!!!! It may have been her PT who was with her, but more likely a staff member.

We still have overnight private-duty care coverage, so she can get up in the middle of the night as much as her little nearly-92 year old bladder wants to.

Hi @zauberflöte
Sounds like things are going pretty well with your mom.
I hope you have a wonderful Sunday and great vacay.
Enjoy and get some use out of your new swimsuits! :swim:

Monday PT report: Mom "ambulated" (!) to the dining room, rested, and returned. Op foot drop at end of trip (a week ago it was after 30 feet!). Turned/pivoted (ish!!) with walker safely. To navigate around her room. No mention of pain at any time. (I find this astonishing!!) PT recommends dropping pain med that's causing episodes of confusion. I already tried that. Hospice dr prefers to drop advil. Just in case (speculate I) she suddenly bleeds to death in her stomach. Sigh.

Some of you have seen this view in 2017:
4EE2AAA9-E581-46B1-B82A-C7DC58B755AB.jpeg Vacation is a wonderful thing....

Wednesday PT report! Mom Ambulated with minor cuing and occasional op foot drop to dining hall, rested (I think his report meant resting while standing) 15 minutes, and then back again. She is "making remarkable progress"!!!! Once back in her room, her unsolicited remark was, "That was fun!"!!!
PT writes that she is ready to ambulate (sorry, that word cracks me up every time I write it :rotfl:) with appropriately trained staff.
Last week he strongly recommended to the facility that they install a permanent grab bar of thus-and-such specs in her teensy bathroom. Maybe someday that will happen but meantime she's stuck using the freestanding commode chair. Staff close her (by strong preference wide open) plantation blinds for that little task, and then leave this sunny airy room plunged in darkness. Mom is the only person on her wing who prefers full daylight. It's really hard to change a bunch of Southern caregivers' habits on that one ( @Mojo333 you probably are familiar with this phenomenon right?) Quite frustrating, as all the medical evidence points to what our forebears knew intuitively-- sunlight is good for the soul! And mind, and body, and emotional wellbeing! /ZF steps off soap box/ :snork:

Pain meds are being reduced. No pain mentioned at any time during PT. Hospice has started calling the facility before PT to get a dose of something in her. I may already have said that!

We are going to ask that superb PT if some lighter, smaller-footprint shoes would be acceptable. I have seen ads for huge clunky-soled shoes for the elderly, touting the huge platforms as being good for balance, but my personal experience says to me, the bigger my shoe soles, the WAY-more-apt I am to trip over the shoe on almost any surface.

So, if Mom gets to walk more, she'll be more cheerful even in her deep dementia. Winter and less sunlight are coming, so I'd like her to have some reserves of cheer and content, you know?

Good to hear your mom is getting around better!
Can you request that the blinds in her room be open during daylight hours?
@zauberflöte

@Layla I've been trying to teach them how to do those blinds since Oct 2, 2018!! Sigh....

Folks, we have a situation here. Mom fell earlier, possibly on her way back to her room from lunch. Since I'm 600 miles away, the phone and text have been put strenuously to work. The consensus was that she could go to ER to see what's broken this time, but will not be admitted. If nothing is broken, well and good. If something is we'll deal with that when I hear back from the ER dr. Regardless, return home without being admitted, and comfort care only.

I guess I may be cutting my vacation short. Bro was planning to be there Sunday anyway, but may move it sooner, depending on what we hear.

Thanks for all y'all's enormous support, you have no idea how just thinking about you all now makes me feel better.

Aaannnnnd! No damage, the prosthesis looks very good, no trauma evident on xrays, she is"following commands" so I believe they call that a good thing, and she's on her way home to be stiff and sore in her own room! They think, from reports, Mom may have turned around perhaps to see or hear somebody else, and went down slowly. On the op hip, natch.

There will be facility repercussions no doubt. They are already on probation. Every fall has to be documented for the state, which is who put them on probation. Management wants to save their own hides. Etc. Ah well.

Ugh! I'm so sorry. I'd imagine hearing this news on vacay 600 mi away felt like a punch in the gut.
Praise the Lord that she is OKAY! I know you are doing just that. With any luck the facility will not only be on high alert and step up their game throughout, but I can't imagine they won't be extra cautious in regard to your mom. At least one would hope. Prayers for her protection and healing and that you can return to enjoying a respite from all the madness!
Hugs
@zauberflöte

PT writes that she is ready to ambulate (sorry, that word cracks me up every time I write it :rotfl:)
Seriously, me too...ready to call an ambulance by herself?

Mom is the only person on her wing who prefers full daylight. It's really hard to change a bunch of Southern caregivers' habits on that one ( @Mojo333 you probably are familiar with this phenomenon right?)
I do. Need my sun. Vitamin D therapy is only just amazing.

Aaannnnnd! No damage, the prosthesis looks very good, no trauma evident on xrays, she is"following commands" so I believe they call that a good thing, and she's on her way home to be stiff and sore in her own room! T
I'm sorry for the fall, but So glad new hip is all good.
Continued prayers and well wishes...for you, and mom.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks