BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Zauberflote back for #2!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by zauberflöte, Jun 5, 2017.

1. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

United States United States
    Hey everyone-- last time I started out here, I brought brownies, but I didn't have time to make any today...:wink: I am scheduled and partially pre-cleared for my left hip, 20 July, for a nice summer recovery start-off. Same surgeon, same hospital, only we've moved "back home" so the drive is now an hour and a half instead of 45 minutes, sigh. Not gonna be fun on either leg of the trip, is it.

I was here 4 years ago, and in that 4 years I have, surprise, aged four years or more! In worse shape, heavier but not by much (I gained 20 lbs after the first one, possibly due to pigging out on any food I wanted, and eating cheese for lunch and chicken or salmon for supper Every Blessed Noon and Night for almost a month-- I craved animal protein (Me, the "mostly vegetarian"!) ), and wonder of wonders, less tired, due to a cardiac ablation a couple of months ago.

My previous recovery was swift in the first two weeks, and then slowed down to normal for a while, and eventually by about 16 months I was thinking I was all done. Until I got to 24 months. And then until I got to 36 months! And I kid you not, even at 48 months I was making gains.

Recovery routine will be much the same, except we now are in a split-level house instead of a rancher, so, stairs! And a teeny baby kindergarten sized toilet, so I will have to use the commode over it, UGH. I share the bathroom with my husband and grown son, as they use the shower. Really, you'd think in 1978 they'd have built two bathing places in a three-ish-story house that has three of everything else but the shower! SO logistics will be interesting. I'll also have to have a transfer bench for the bathtub-type shower, where in the previous house I had a walk-in shower with a very shallow lip. And so small that I pretty much couldn't fall down because I'd wedge myself upright on the way down! Where all this equipment is to live I haven't a clue. There's no room for it in the bathroom or anyplace else on that floor. And I have no rugs to take up because when we moved in here I never put them down, so there.

This poor hip has been postponed twice, for a total of 11 months delay. First time because my mother, living 600 miles away, suddenly had to go to assisted living, and us two far-away kids had to pitch in to help the right-there sister with that huge task. The second time, there were cardiac issues....This time, our son is in bad shape, but I am in too much pain to let that affect me this time around. Also, my husband's mother passed away day before yesterday. We are doing well after that, as it's been expected on and off for over a year, but there's still a ton of work and business to get accomplished. It's a large and unusually well-behaved family, so my three sisters-in-law and I can work on cleaning the house out with no friction. The memorial service will be on Cape Cod 4 weeks after my hip. :rolleyes::shocked:but I'm going for it. It's only a 90-minute flight, and then we can rent a big ol' SUV with cushy seats for the next 90 minutes of the trip. If anybody has any recommendations on that front, please do say something!

I hope what I'm about to do doesn't break the internet or Bonesmart! I want to say hey to everybody who's in July, because we'll see a lot of each other sooner or later!

@Peaches peek in shortly before July 20 so we can catch up.
    @KiKi60 good to meet you!
    @sutree and you! I don't think that one's spelled right... ahhhh! @Suttree

@gaulsuerou hello!
    @Steelergal hi!

@sandyb hope to see you around!
    @BlueSkys come say hi :)

@cpollock and @fenway09 here we go!

I have many friends who I promised to notify, but I'm drawing a blank, so will say goodnight for now. I won't be on here often until the last week or two-- life is hectic until at least then.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Tags:
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

You did it!!!! You started your pre-op thread!!! I'm so proud of you and now it's official. New hip, here you come!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well here you are! Well done! We are with you all the way on this.

Just a tip for your travel - book assistance both going and coming home. Aisle seat is much easier for a new hippie who might need to get up and move around a couple of times during the flight. And be sure your surgeon knows you will be flying at 4 weeks out.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Peaches

Peaches

SO happy you are finally scheduled, @zauberflöte! You have certainly paid your dues waiting around, for various reasons. I hope you are not in too much pain now. The only good thing about OA pain is that it can be erratic and as maddening as that is, sometimes you'll get a good day out of nowhere. I hope that's the case for you.

Very sorry about your mother-in-law's passing.

We understand you don't have much time to post, but please know everyone is thinking of you and pulling for you and will be waiting for your posts the closer it is to lift-off.

Take care.

5. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

Yes on both counts-- I've booked a wheelchair, but can't really see where in these airports I'm going to be able to use it. Also shelled out for a "more space" seat, and for DH to sit next to me. JetBlue seats are comfy anyway, and hubby won't react badly when I encroach on his personal space in my exercisings. And absolutely, OS will know! I'll have a two-week follow-up to talk to the PA, who relays questions to the OS, and then comes back and garbles the answer, you know. We'll also rent a cushy car instead of taking the bus for that final leg, so we can stop and let me perambulate. I have discovered that those instant "snap and shake" ice packs are next to worthless-- they last about 10 minutes, so that one's going to be interesting. But in a car, we may stop at a gas station and get a bag of real ice!

Hey there @Peaches ! Thank you for your thoughts, and yep, I'll be back in awhile :)

6. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

I did a 6 hour car trip (me driving) at 4 weeks out. I just took several of the snap and shake ice packs and used about 4 during the trip. Yes they are short lived - but easier to carry with you.

7. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

Ha! @Jaycey last time I didn't dare get behind the wheel until week 5. I had severe brain and vision fuzz, maybe from the GA. I am in awe of you for that trek! It then took me 2.5 weeks of daily practise to get my drive time up to 30 minutes, as I knew I had to drive myself to my 8-week followup. All interstate, 60-65 mph in heavy traffic.

Do you think the instant cold packs will fly as carryon? Maybe I'll need to call airline...get a letter from OS...

8. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

It's all on the TSA website . You will probably need to present them for screening but you should be able to fly with them in your carry on. You might want to check with the airline as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

Thanks @Jaycey ! One step at a time... ;)

Night pain has become so bad that I've had to add tramadol 50mg to my night regimen. One a couple hours before bed, and the other when I get up to go to the bathroom. Certainly helps the pain, well into the morning. Now if I could only fall back asleep after I've drunk water (I have no idea why, but if I drink in the middle of the night, it keeps me awake!)

I've found an interesting form of "take no time at all" hip strengthening exercise. I am a fan of contradance music (waves to @sharonslp ) and bought some for my phone (no working music player in car...). So...in the car, drive drive and dance dance in my seat. Not recommended for high traffic or back roads! I use the same music for aerobic dance exercise, which has become a joy since my ablation.:egypdance: I find I have a little less pain on climbing stairs, and it must be because of this?

10. sharonslp

sharonslp Forum Advisor

Chris!!! I want to say welcome back.....but geez, not because of a painful joint! Still, it was to be expected, and you know just what to do. My own second hip was an even easier recovery than the first, so I'm wrapping up some good second THR vibes for you in a lovely package with ribbons and bows and sparkly stuff and sending it your way.

And for the record, I'm still contradancing. :)

Sharon

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

Great to see you Sharon @sharonslp ! You know , it's (ALMOST) worth it, having to have a hip done, to see wonderful old friends :) :)
    So these good vibes...will that mean in my marathon barf session immediately post op, I will be glitter-barfing? :rotfl:
    How is the lawyering? :)

12. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Ask for anti-nausea meds before your op and take them regularly for a couple of days post op. It makes those first days SO much easier.

13. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

Ahhh @Jaycey you don't know me and GA...I do ask, and get, and then 2 more, all pre-op, and then after a couple of hours of frequent retching post-op, the nurses decide I wasn't making this up, and find a 4th med, and that finally helps. ;) I am the queen of anti-nausea meds !

14. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Can you have a spinal and sedation instead of GA? I was nauseous for weeks post spinal surgery due to GA - and was on anti-nausea meds. Spinal was magic - no groggy feeling or dizzy spells.

15. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

That does sound lovely! I remember reading up on that, and there was mentioned a risk of chest paralysis. Somebody either on here or a Cheeseburger friend related waking up with a ventilator... that scares me more than a few hours of retching while high on percocet. Soooo... it wasn't all that bad, considering. Just funny to Talk about...

16. sharonslp

sharonslp Forum Advisor

Well I certainly hope you don't have to barf at all this time. But if you do, glitter will keep everyone entertained at least.

Lawyering is still in progress. I finish law school in December; take the bar exam at the end of February. Then I will play play play until I find out if I passed. Whatever will I actually do with this law license? I am still not at all sure, but I am confident that when the time is right the way will be clear. Or....I'll just stumble into something somehow and it will end up being the right thing for me to do.

And yes....if you have to have yet another joint replaced, at least you get to do it among friends.

• Like Like x 2
  17. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

Wow, almost finished at law! Drifting into something right doesn't seem bad to me-- go for it!
    So many people have said their second hip was a faster recovery than the first (of course plenty say the opposite...) Time will tell I expect! And yes, among friends is the best way to recover!
    I have to get up at 4 am-- am I sleepy? No. Sigh...

18. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

Well! Two weeks 5 days until The Day. There has been so very much of a negative nature going on here at home recently that the positive things sort of slide by me. I am in no way ready for this!
    To Do List:
    -Buy a car (yep-- teenager who'd just, and I mean JUST ,gotten his license, rear-ended me at a stoplight and my car is so old his insurance will total it...and give me about $250 for it. Ha. Looking at a 2005 Toyota Sienna now, maybe.
    -get all pieces of my new bed together
    Interesting. I've been sleeping on an air mattress with some lovely memory foam on top of it, but it's just too short. So, whaddya know, Amazon carries foam mattresses! Made in USA! By the same folks who made my topper! So, I got Twin X-long. Hubby will be jealous...but that means all new bedding, from the allergy cover that will hold it all together to the sheets. At least I already have pillowcases ;) I wonder if my blankets and comforter will be long enough...
    -adapt an oat-flour muffin recipe to include mushed cooked carrots, prunes, and prune juice. Some experimentation will be required. Ideas welcome!
    -Costco run!
    -pay up all the bills, which unfortunately mostly come due around my surgery date.
    -move adult son someplace else besides here at home. Or postpone surgery for the third time :headbang:
    -sneak special-needs trust for said son past him (he's 27) in such a way that he agrees to it enough for the bank to believe he did it willingly. Thank goodness hubby has to do that-- he's been the one to have charge of the money so far, and son only knows he's "got assets", not the amount of them.
    -Clean The HOUSE :censored:
    -cook and freeze hospital food
    -keep up with laundry, shopping, etc

I have reserved a hotel room for one night in a hotel I know has good beds (remember, no ibuprofen for a week pre-op), 5 minutes from the hospital, which is an hour and a half from home. Not looking forward to that ride home, nope.
    I have booked flights for the whole family to Boston for my mother-in-law's memorial service at the end of August. Have been cleared to fly. Chose JetBlue which as I recall has comfy seats. Booked rental car in Boston.
    Done hospital pre-op.
    Got clearance from PCP and cardiologist. But I have to call the cardio back, as I was appalled at the apparent lack of communication amongst her, my electrophysiologist, and my chart!

I hope to be back sooner next time but I just never know. Post op, that's when I'll have some time...

19. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Wow - I am tired just reading your "to do" list. Please take it easy my friend. Everything does not need to be perfect. Maybe make a priority list versus a "to do"?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

@Jaycey you are so right. So we'll need to win the lottery so that I can delegate those tasks... $$$$$$$$