THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi g8 progress Chris you are catching me up!....my only remaining symptom is stiffness after sitting down for awhile....so its some yoga stretches when I get up in the morning... :)

Me too clifford149, glad to hear you are doing well too. :)

Awesome report zauberflöte! As you were describing your big day out, I was thinking "oh no, what has she done?" But so pleased to hear you have no bad lasting effects.

If you could do all that in one day without climbing into bed in a fetal position for a week, with ice, you are doing very well indeed. All that bending and twisting after a long ride and a Costco visit-OY! We also had that monsoon rain a couple of days ago, and are getting another today, so I hope you are not swimming in your basement as I write. Congratulations on surviving your very busy day.
Haha LeeApril26 unfortunately for me, the hip is having the last word now... but so far no swimming, just sprinkles, whew!

BarbaraR thanks for stopping by! :)

Thanks for the compliment, ZF, but you don't need any help from me. You have a wonderful natural, free-flowing cocktail of a style, with a twist of wry humour, and don't even think of ever changing it. Now, about those flute lessons you promised me...
glynis you are too kind-- and the funniest person in this room! (can I get off those lessons now?)

Hi g8 progress Chris you are catching me up!....my only remaining symptom is stiffness after sitting down for awhile....so its some yoga stretches when I get up in the morning... :)
clifford149 I don't dare even think about yoga yet! Good for you :) have you gotten the bike out yet?

As you were describing your big day out, I was thinking "oh no, what has she done?" But so pleased to hear you have no bad lasting effects.
sigh octopus sadly the hip is acting up more as the week goes on. I still have hope that it will go away in a few days. Just went for my bedtime walk, so there too! Now I ice after that walk-- a great excuse to come on here and visit :)

zauberflöte all that activitiy...The thought of shopping wears me out.​
Well Kylesh we've even, then :) The thought of even 3.3, never mind 33, miles on a bike wears me out LOL. I would far rather be able to ride a bike and burn calories than push a shopping cart filled with them!

zauberflöte Sorry you are in pain, but glad you didn't have a repeat flood in the basement. Today is absolutely gorgeous here-hope you are having one, too.

Just took a ride on your roller coaster, dear zauberflöte and can really empathize, for many reasons. And it's true there are many examples here in BoneSmartLand of grace , so feel free to read my thread if you want a dose of no-grace. I think this hip replacement theme park we are all visiting is so exasperating and even Mother Teresa would feel discouraged and probably p.o.'d at times, too. We just wanted our normal lives back. We weren't asking for the moon. I'm glad you can get some relief from the ibuprofin. Like you, I took a brief spin on a bike (well for me it was actually a little pedaler that you pedal around while sitting -- how easy does THAT sound?) and only five minutes one night and ten the next and I was in a LOT of pain the days after and have not tried it since. Too soon, I guess. I think others here maybe have had some problems with biking, too. As always, I appreciated how enterprising you are, the wearable ice pack is something I have tried to create but so far not successfully.

How are you today? I posted elsewhere that I think the infamous post-op blues (and energy drain, too, for that matter) is NOT just a "fresh out of the hospital" experience, but a few months out, where we all are now, and I suspect will rear its ugly or sad head periodically. I am very "Three Faces of Eve" myself these days; too blue to post at all. Then, simultaneously feeling serene-ish and more or less hopeful, but with my eyes welling up.

Hoping your weekend goes well. And the roller coaster is more ridable than it has been. Take care and post when you can.

zauberflöte

Then hubby hit the Kangaroo and the insurance wrote that car off..

Poppet OMG! It was so weird to read that sentence to think someone would encounter (of all things) a Kangaroo on the road! But I guess it would be just as weird to you if someone said they totaled a car when they hit a deer. I didn't think 'roos were that big tho. Live and learn :)

Hi there Peaches.. Your comment...

I posted elsewhere that I think the infamous post-op blues (and energy drain, too, for that matter) is NOT just a "fresh out of the hospital" experience, but a few months out, where we all are now, and I suspect will rear its ugly or sad head periodically. I am very "Three Faces of Eve" myself these days; too blue to post at all. Then, simultaneously feeling serene-ish and more or less hopeful, but with my eyes welling up.

Honey, you could not have said truer words... I am sad and yet happy for you because I know that recovering from a THR or TKR for that matter has to be one of THE most frustrating, life changing experiences!

Sad because even at 21 months post I could have written those words! BUT.. The 'sad' times get less and less and the months progress!

Happy because from where I am at in my projected timeline for recovery of 24 months, life is slowly getting better. My job is all consuming and there is little time for fun or exercise, BUT, when I walk generally at work or shopping I can feel a strength in my hip, the surrounding muscles, ligaments and of course Elmore Oil takes care of the soft tissue swelling that I still get daily..

So... THR recovery for me (and I suspect for most of us) is a marathon, not a sprint and life is different because of our experience.. I believe it changes us, emotionally, philosophically and physically, and maybe that is not a bad thing.. For me, it has taught me 'not to sweat the small things', given me more patience (or perhaps forced that on me) and is teaching me that 'it is all about the journey'....

And, so it shall be for you honey :)

Runaround Sue... Guess what! We narrowly missed another Kangaroo Friday night on the way home, again on a very busy main road! Now, that one was scary, because it was coming straight for my side of the car..... Life in OZ is so much fun, lol!

Poppet I can't imagine a kangaroo coming straight towards your car. You must see kangaroos a lot. We see them in the zoo....lol. The only scary thing I ever see coming close to my car is an occasional deer and that's bad enough for me. zauberflöte ByGosh sqwerlie I am so sorry you are all experiencing problems with recovery. I hope this soon passes for all of you and you get out and enjoy life and the weather before it gets back to winter again.

Interestingly enough, we are seeing more and more Kangaroos in actual city areas.. We have droughts and they come in for the green grass and the man made water lakes etc.. Hubby saw one bouncing down the main pavement of a major shopping centre a few months ago. They are a way of life in OZ! They used to be contained to the bush, out of site, but as we encroach on their rural habitats, they have no where else to go, but to come into the city. We also build nature reserves amongst some cities, so there again is better feed for them and incentive for them to move in with us.. Thankfully, we don't see many on the coastlines... So roll on retirement! sandybeach :)

I haven't been here because I've been visiting, in my limited time, other folks' threads. Sometimes only one per day, or even none, sigh. Thanks for all your concern and happy discussions on my deck :)

I held off on my 3 month/13-14 weeks report until I got the past few days behind me, hoping to be able to say I sailed through. Well, I almost did it!:yay: In a five-day period ending yesterday I drove 4 different cars a total of 800 miles, 700 of them alone in the car! (Fear not, this is highly unusual in my life, and won't happen again till the Christmas music season).

Friday was 400 miles. Our son's graduation from his training program, pack up the dorm room and on home. There were 4 cars involved in that one, of which I drove two, think of this Marx Brothers scene and you'll get an idea of how I felt! I did survive that one, and had plenty of energy Saturday, also stiffness and soreness resolved overnight. So far so good, eh?:dancy:

Sunday was 200 more miles, and a full day in between legs of the trip. Again, I did really well despite all the sitting, plenty of energy that evening and the next day!:happydance:

Tuesday, yesterday, was to be the easiest one-- another 200 miles with a nice relax-and-giggle with my dental hygienist at the 100 mile mark. (I kid you not, we have a ball!) All well, trip fine, drove car #4 which is the sweetest little thing. But perhaps the humid heat/no ac/'active ride" of the car, and road noise from having the windows down were the last straw. I know that lifting my op leg higher between gas and brake pedals was not good for the groin. Anyway, I got home, put away my things, and collapsed on the couch for 2 hours of drowsing, very very nice!!:zzz: With even more groin pain, sigh. But I've been reading people's threads who are a month or more ahead of me in recovery saying that maybe it's just time to get on with life-- I may do that too, and just pray that all the ibuprofen I'm still taking doesn't turn me for the worse.

All in all, doing very very well, I think. I just have to stop obsessing about this groin pain? Or do I stop everything and rest for 2 weeks? What's a girl to do?? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Peaches my wearable ice pack was a hoot! It depended on so many variables being just right, and looked extremely foolish....but it worked and that's the main thing! I do understand your Three Faces of Eve feelings, and I sympathize with you no end. You are so used to life in the city that you may not see how it looks to us-- all that schlepping and climbing and subway-riding and all and a full work day in between, and then still supper and tidying to take care of. I am tired just writing that! We suburbanites have NO idea how spoiled we are with a car to take us everywhere! Your blues are entirely understandable :)

sandybeach thanks for your encouragement! I think my problem is I'm getting out and enjoying life too much too early!:skep: :heehee: We are hoping to get a little September-on-Cape-Cod vacation in. Perhaps we'll get that sunny breezy Cape weather instead of the chilly rainy Cape weather!:yes:

sqwerlie I'm sorry you're having a downturn-- better rest now while you can before harvest!

So... THR recovery for me (and I suspect for most of us) is a marathon, not a sprint and life is different because of our experience.. I believe it changes us, emotionally, philosophically and physically, and maybe that is not a bad thing..
Poppet ne'er a truer word spoken!! :)

It's good to hear that you're doing okay. I hope you can get nice warm weather for your Cap Cod vacation. The weather here in our part of the country has been so crazy this summer. We have gone from sweatshirt weather to extreme heat and humidity to where it's been miserable to be outside.
That's a lot of driving in a few days. It's hard being in the car that much. We drove out to Pennsylvania a few years ago, shortly after getting home is when my hip problems started to show it's ugly head. I will always believe the drive there and back irritated what was already going on.

All in all, doing very very well, I think. I just have to stop obsessing about this groin pain? Or do I stop everything and rest for 2 weeks? What's a girl to do?? LOL​
Hi zauberflöte, The groin pain I experienced was excruciating pain....i can't imagine that you are overstating the pain you feel. Hard to get interested in life when you have high pain levels. Have you tried switching up ice & heat to the groin area?
I hope you get your September Cape Cod vacation. So beautiful down there.
Take care.
Annie

anniemg hmmmm, my pain is not excruciating, just nagging and getting more so. I've thought of heat after ice, but then never remember it when the moment arrives, silly me. What else did/do you do? Rest? not rest? Stretch? Not stretch? No stairs? Not sitting? LOL

sandybeach oh we've had the same weather, although hot and humid and upper 90's is what we're used to for summer, so when we get a day below 85 and a nice dry north breeze, we celebrate! I like to think that by now, the end of August, there are only 2, maybe 3 at most, ugly hot spells ahead of us, and then it's autumn! My cats already are doing some winter habits-- the shorter days must be their trigger, because it's certainly muggy enough out there to still be summer.

Josephine I read elsewhere that you're having a down period-- hope you fell better soon!

I had a thought (I know,"lie down and it will go away", as we used to say)-- would it be a good idea for you to post in the library that gridded graphic you made of the hip front and back views, so that we members might copy it and use it in our posts about where we hurt or don't hurt? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88