PKR Zara's Recovery Thread

Great report. Slow and steady will definitely get you through the recovery journey. :flwrysmile:

I started outpatient physical therapy last week. First session was just an evaluation of where my knee was. Started with gentle stretching with no problems. This past Tuesday was my second session where I did stretching exercises and electrical stimulation to get my quad working. Later that night I woke up with the back of my knee hurting. Now my knee is hurting in the back outside area. It feels like a tendon or muscle is stuck and won't let my knee stretch out. Anyone have this happen or know what this is? My knee was progressing so well until this happened. So frustrating.

his past Tuesday was my second session where I did stretching exercises and electrical stimulation to get my quad working. Later that night I woke up with the back of my knee hurting. Now my knee is hurting in the back outside area. It feels like a tendon or muscle is stuck and won't let my knee stretch out. Anyone have this happen or know what this is? My knee was progressing so well until this happened. So frustrating.
It's obvious that you did too much at PT. You need to do just a very few gentle movements. Your knee is not ready for what happened to it Tuesday. Walking around during the day taking care of your own daily needs is PT. You have found out that your activities at PT were too much for your knee at this early time. Tell your therapist to cut way back on what's she's doing. In the meantime use lots of ice and elevation to help calm your knee down.

That is my thought. My next session is Tuesday and I plan on cutting way back on exercises and focus on gentle stretches. If this isn't ok with my PT then I won't be going. My knee was feeling good until this. Thanks for the reminder on PT.

Has anyone had a Baker's cyst? If so what did you do in terms of treatment?

There's not a lot you can do about Baker's cysts, but you could try icing the back of your knee, to see if that relieves some of the pain. Make sure you have some cloth between your skin and the icing medium, to protect your skin from frost bite.

Here's an article about Baker's cysts, @Zara .
Baker's cysts and other knee bursae

6 weeks post-op from PKR. I had my 6 week follow up with my OS this week. He was very pleased with my progress and ROM. The nice thing is he is not concerned with numbers as long as I am making progress. My biggest concern is, when can I start riding my horse. He said 4 more weeks and I can ride given I follow certain guidelines such as using as mounting block for dismounting and no jumping. I am so excited to have a timeframe to start riding again!!. I am going to start working with my PT on exercises to help with my riding. I am very fortunate to have found a PT that I like and listens to me. In the beginning my PT talked about pushing ROM and a window of opportunity but I made it clear I wouldn't tolerate forcing my knee to do anything. I am so thankful to this forum for all that I have learned. This surgery takes a lot out of you and recovery isn't a straight line. I keep in mind that there are good days and bad but overall the good days are increasing!

Slow and steady, don’t rush the recovery, 6 weeks post op is extremely early in recovery process..I am now 9 months, and still experience an ache in the knee when walking, and exercising..not necessarily a pain, but a noticeable ache...
at 6 weeks I was under the misguided thoughts that I should be almost 100%...my fault for being so unrealistic...best wishes for a slow and steady recovery

Listen very carefully to your knee when you start riding your horse. If any increase in pain, wait a while and try again.

My granddaughter is taking riding lessons and the last 2 weeks I went with her and watched, and realized how much of an effect it could be on a new knee replacement. We have other members who did ride again after replacement, so try not to rush it.

This past Saturday I must have done to much during the day. Later that night my knee started hurting and despite icing, elevating and pain meds I was unable to get comfortable or sleep. Sunday morning I could hardly walk. Later in the afternoon my knee started feeling better but boy was that a wake up call. I guess it was my knee reminding me it is early in its recovery. @Jockette thanks for the advice on riding. This weekend was a reminder that I need to be careful with my new knee and not rush into riding. You are correct that riding will tax my new knee so I plan on being very deliberate with my return.

Update on my progress. (PKR on 9/17) I had been doing PT 2 times a week. My therapist was supportive and never pushed on my knee. Then last week he wanted to work on getting my knee straighter. He messaged my knee cap and moved it around. It didn't hurt but just felt weird. Then he started pushing down on my knee to see how flat it would go. That was super painful. It took me by surprise since he has never done anything like that before. I decided I was done with PT at that point and cancelled my remaining sessions. My knee was sore for two days after. Now doing much better without PT. I am walking longer distances and even took a hike in the woods with my dogs. Continue to learn from others on this forum. Next big thing will be a return to riding!

Being only 8 weeks post op, you are doing great! Enjoy the walks with your pooches, something I enjoy as well..I am a big fan of measuring my walks, exercise etc with Fitbit and Iwatch ... it is good to see the progress one makes... My motto has been and continues to be “Time is your best friend” In the recovery process...

I’m sorry your PT caused a problem. It seems some of them can’t leave well enough alone. You’re right, you don’t need to go there anymore. Your walks with your dogs are very good for you.

Ten weeks post-op from PKR. My knee has been progressing nicely since no more PT. I still have swelling and will ice and elevate every day. This past weekend I rode my horse under my trainer's supervision. She has worked rehabbing several riders returning to riding after knee replacement. This was the first time riding with no knee pain! Later I made sure I iced and elevated my knee. I had no increase in pain that night or next day!

What wonderful news! You are doing so well.

Back to work this week. Due to Covid I am working from home. I am doing more sitting at my desk and boy didn't realize how much my knee would hurt. Trying to find a comfortable way to elevate my knee with ice. Also getting up to walk and stretch. Didn't think it would be a big issue.

It was many months before I could sit comfortably with my foot on the floor. I found that almost any height was better than my foot on the floor. I kept a low box under my computer desk to put my foot on and it did make a difference.

Even as a passenger in the car I kept a small pillow on the floor for the foot of my operated leg. (best tip from a friend who told me she did that after her TKRs!)

@Jockette thanks for the ideas. You are right any height under my knee is better than my foot on the floor. I am going to put a small pillow in my car for my knee. It was just surprising how much it bothered my knee.

Is there any way you can work in a recliner with your leg elevated? I was able to do that and it really helped.

@sistersinhim I'm looking at getting a new desk chair. I will see about a reclining one. Yesterday I had my leg up on my big yoga ball which helped but need more stability. Keep on trying.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom