PKR Zara's Recovery Thread

Zara

Country
United States United States
Had my PKR this morning and now home. Everything went well. Nerve block is still working so pain level is not bad. Now I am elevating and icing and just took a Norco to stay ahead of the pain. It was weird getting up at the surgery center and them telling me I could put weight on my new knee. The people there were so nice and supportive. Pt was suppose to come tomorrow but called and cancelled. Maybe Saturday or Monday either way I learned from bonesmarties what I need to do for myself. I am so grateful I found this forum.

Congratulations on your surgery and being home. It is kind of amazing to be able to put weight on our knees right after surgery and at first unbelievable.

Keep elevating and icing and take your medications on a schedule. Have a peaceful evening.

Hello @Zara - and :welome: to recovery.

I have moved your post-op update and used it to start a recovery thread for you.

Please post all updates or questions about your recovery in this thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that?

It's good to hear that your surgery is over.

Here are our recovery guidelines - lots of helpful articles:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I’m glad that your surgery has gone well. Staying ahead of the pain is a good idea.

Just a quick hello to let you know we are thinking of you. Keep resting/elevating and icing with medications taken on a schedule. Have a peaceful day. :flwrysmile:

Last night could not sleep despite being up early for surgery in the morning and taking pain meds. Pain was not to bad but just could not get comfortable. This morning walking around the house doing a few things but now pain level is up. Laying down, icing and elevating plus pain meds. Have to remember what I think is just a little walking is more than my new knee is ready for. Having that nerve block makes you feel like you can do more than you should. Slow and easy.

A lesson we all learn. Our knees feel like they can do anything or almost anything and we get a little over eager to experience our new joints but they are babies and need much TLC. Luckily they let us know immediately that they are not happy. Your only activities right now should be ice/elevation/rest and medication with short trips to the bathroom. Have a peaceful restful day.

Yes, the nerve block is a double edged sword. That is where I got in trouble with my first PKR. One minute you think "This does not hurt at all". One hour later " What have I done!!!".
Stay with slow and easy, you will be fine.

Last two days have been miserable. Nerve block wore off and pain increased despite icing, elevating and resting. My pain meds weren't helping either so called my nurse to see if I could do a different combination of my meds. Helped a little. Today my knee started feeling better in the afternoon. Pt came for first visit. Did an evaluation and went over some easy exercises. She was very nice and didn't push anything. I can't believe how tired I get so easy. When I first got home I couldn't sleep at all. Today I actually slept, thank God.

I am glad that your pain is more under control. Smart move to call the nurse to get assistance with the medications. You just had major surgery with much carpentry being done to your bones with power tools and all your soft tissues and nerves were disrupted and moved about. This really tires our bodies out and much rest is needed for healing. The energy drain is real and lasts for a while. I hope your night is peaceful.

Question for anyone- before my surgery I was always hot and having hot flashes. Since my surgery I am cold and have the chills on and off. My temperature is normal so no infection. Anyone else have this?

Many of us had this same cold feeling. It probably comes from icing and not moving around as much. I had my surgery during a hot spell that was in the 90s. I would go sit on the porch for a few minutes to warm up! Some use a heated throw. I didn't have one, but will get one before my next replacement.

Yes, many of us warm blooded people were cold for weeks after this surgery.

Cold but with hot flashes on occasion!!:heehee:

Welcome to the recovery side! It's a great place to be, even though the process is much slower than any of us like :D Take it a bit easy in the beginning, just getting up and moving around and going to the bathroom is plenty to start off with. Best wishes on your recovery!

5 days post-PKR. I had my first official physical therapy appointment. First PT that came just did an intake and gave me some exercises to try. This PT was hands on but very gentle. Didn't do anything beyond what I would allow. I asked her about her philosophy on working with knee replacements. I could certainly here the myths about knee getting stuck because of scar tissue and the goal of ROM. However that is not really what she put in practice. She did measure my bend and straighting but did give me numbers and said as long as I am progressing that's all that matters. So glad I learned about recovery and PT from this website. A little sore but very manageable.

Update on my progress. Had PKR on 9\17. There were times when I questioned whether I did the right thing by having the surgery. Luckily finding this forum I was more prepared for the up\down of recovery. I still have swelling and stiffness but it is getting so much better. My doctor was very pleased with my progress. In home PT was helpful and at my final evaluation said I was way ahead of where I should be. I finally feel like I am going to get through this recovery with positive results. Ice, elevate, pain meds, patience , and this forum all helped so much.

@Zara glad you are starting to see positive results post op. It can take some time for a knee to settle. And it is still early days for you - not even one month yet. Great that you have the routine down.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back