PKR Zara

Zara

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for a partial knee replacement on September 17th. Any advice on pre-op things would be great. Little nervous and anxious to get this done. Thanks

:welome: to BoneSmart. Take it easy, try to relax. Tough call I know!

Hello @Zara - and :welome:

Which knee are you having replaced and which part of your knee is it? If you tell us that, I'll add it to your signature.

Here is some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Welcome to bonesmart. Anxious and nervous is a common thread for all of us before surgery. We can't wait and we worry about the what ifs. Luckily the doctors and staff know their business really well and we can trust them to do their jobs. Read some of the articles and recovery stories and if you have questions, ask here and someone usually has an answer or a suggestion.

I am wondering if there are any horseback riders out there who can tell me their experience with riding after partial knee replacement. My knee issue started last year when I tore my medial meniscus on right leg. I had it repaired and returned to riding fairly quickly. Four months later I tore the meniscus root on the same knee. Another surgery but took longer to return to riding. Since then I have been in constant pain with my knee. Now scheduled for replacement in September.

Hello again, @Zara .

I have moved your post, above,from the September Sapphires surgery thread. As I explained in my post to you there:
Please remember that the team thread is primarily to allow you to see who has surgery the same month as you. Discussion of issues, comments, and questions regarding surgery and recovery must be kept in your individual threads.

Please will you tell us the full dates of all your knee surgeries and confirm it is your right knee, so we can add that information to your signature for you?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

We have had people who have gone back to riding horses after a knee replacement and I'm sure someone will come along to talk to you about their experience.

My surgery is scheduled for September 17th. And yes it is my right knee.

My knee issue started last year when I tore my medial meniscus on right leg. I had it repaired and returned to riding fairly quickly. Four months later I tore the meniscus root on the same knee. Another surgery but took longer to return to riding. Since then I have been in constant pain with my knee.
@Zara - please will you tell us the dates of the two surgeries you mentioned above, so we can add those to your signature?

My first surgery was back in May of 2019 for a torn meniscus on my right knee. The second surgery was in August of 2019 on the same right knee. This time I had torn the meniscus at the root. Now scheduled for right medial PKR on September 17, 2020.

Thank you for those additional details, @Zara . :flwrysmile:
Your poor knee has been through quite a lot in the last 15 months.

@Zara my PT assured me that he’s not seen a damaged knee replacement just bruising and swelling with a fall or faux pas. I am going back to riding but not like I used to.... I’m looking forward to seeing others experiences, esp with English type riding where there is so much posting.

Moriah glad to hear someone else is planning on riding after surgery. I ride dressage with my warmblood mare that has very big gates. I am also wondering how posting is going to feel after my surgery. My doctor seems to think I will have no difficulties once my knee is healed and I take it slowly. Good luck with your surgery on the 25th.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
SDEE
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom