TKR YYZ Back To YYC!

@sistersinhim had a medial release done at one time, and she mentions it from time to time. Is that what you’re thinking of?
Yes, my OS did a medial release when I had my TKR. Before that, I had 2 lateral releases on each knee. These are done to help the knee and kneecap track properly.

When I had the lateral releases done years ago I wore an immobilizer for 6-8 weeks to allow the tendons to heal. After my TKR I was still having pain on the inside of my knee months afterward so I ordered my surgical report and found that my OS did a medial release during my TKR. That explained my pain in that area and eased my mind, knowing it was a normal reaction to having a release.
@sistersinhim
Thanks for those details! Was wondering why they do that and effects from it. Did it heal eventually?

Also having an issue with the site when trying to logon....oops error is what I'm seeing

Last edited:
You are here, so the error must have gone away. Good!

Yes, it healed up just fine. It just took a while longer than the other surgical areas. I didn't know my doctor had done that until about 3 months after my tkr, so I was ignoring that pain in that area when I should have been treating it more gently. There is really no reason to worry about it. Your doctor knew what he was doing and he did it for your own good.

@sistersinhim yes thank you, found you folks again!

Thanks for the info on your medial release. It led me to finding out more details.

"Although rare, medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury is one of the most severe complications associated with TKA."

I'm going to look into this and maybe enquire about some enhanced imaging at GP visit next week.

Last edited:
I believe an injury would be much worse than a controlled release. Ask your doctor about it. That's the only way to get the real answer. Dr. Google can steer you in the wrong way.

@sistersinhim Dr Google can definitely get it wrong!

I had a consultation today. Everything is progressing as expected. Continue with the diclofenac gel application 3x daily. All activities in moderation.

I did ask about the medial release and was told that could delay healing.

I did ask about the medial release and was told that could delay healing.
We should be told about these extra procedures, especially since they can add length to our recovery. I didn’t know about my Lateral release until a year later, when I asked for my surgical report. My first year was really tough and it would have been nice to know it wasn’t me “not working hard enough.” Our PTs should especially be aware of all the surgery entailed so they can fine tune their program for our situation.

@Jockette Thanks! I definitely agree! It's not a matter of not working enough! So thankful to have found this forum! The look on the OS face when I asked about it was priceless.

I feel quality of recovery is just now becoming a focus for OS in my area. Great to see that shift!

@ChillTime and @blueskies are linked for update!

I am 3 weeks into a 2x week work conditioning program and making gains. Overall I can feel my flexion and extension has improved although we are not fixated on the actual measurement. I'm hoping by month end that I'll be able to do downstairs one two style. It is definitely getting easier to go upstairs.

The exercises and stretching via PT and kinesiologist are focused on my operative side and getting muscles to work/wake up. Most exercises seem to flair the joint line and also pain. Working these in moderation. We have been working on improving flexion at PT and finding that when I push my thigh/quad into the table the bending comes easier.

Don't have the vertical band sensation as much, maybe once a week or so. Finding that I am in a six week pain cycle at the moment...just as one pain eases up another seems to pop up! lol Now having issues with ankle and possibly peritoneal nerve or muscles on outside of leg. Have had ankle issue for two months but peritoneal just started right after new PT flexion regimen uugh! Taking a combo moderation and wait and see approach at the moment. Have new softer orthotics but they are excruciating even for short time and not wearing. I now feel foot/ankle is part of my underlying knee issue as I have slight bow in lower legs that is now 'corrected' in the replacement side.
Modified return to work is to start mid march but will see how this evolves.

Walking yesterday 8m x2 with 10m rest is what I can manage at the moment. This works best on asphalt pathways as they a not too icy with our warm stretch. The malls are still too much as the floors are concrete and causes intense pain afterwards.

Been thinking about other things a lot...big yay!

I had to get new orthotics about a year post-op when suddenly plantar fasciitis cropped up. That caused a whole lot of readjusting in my hips and knees until I was used to them.

Good luck with your conditioning program!

Not getting updates on my thread...I'll have to look into it.

@Susie-Q thanks for posting! I'm glad you mentioned your experience adjusting to the new orthotics! I will be trying to slowly reintroduce mine fairly soon.

near 11 months post op update for my future records!

Flexion is at 100 and extension is 0. Stairs continue to be difficult ...a few here or there downstairs is not possible without significant inflammation for 4/5 days after. Bathing is a lessor challenge getting over tub into shower is a much smaller obstacle. Driving is easier especially getting in and out of vehicle. Walking 8 mins 2x week but cannot do more right now.

Inflammation and pain is constant in the joint line. Taking Naproxen and Acetaminophen. Medial side pain and lateral lower leg(perioneal nerve and/or muscle symptoms that is brought on by PT bending and some exercises. Intermittent left ankle flare ups activity dependent.

Reduced exercise to two days a week to monitor lower leg/ankle issue. Better communication with PT ...going good and bending is more gentle.

Ohh yah 25 pounds to go til my ideal weight! Shortened daily eating window for weight loss ie no snacking :( as it's difficult to lose when activity/movement is limited!! GP says the extra weight doesn't help but don't feel this is the real hold up with recovery, lol :flwrysmile:

11 month update
I have progressed to a walk --12 minutes before I need to find a bench to sit. My standing has improved to 7 minutes in the kitchen doing food prep or standing at the clothes dryer and folding. I am just starting to progress to going downstairs one/two...8 stairs of 16 I can do at home with tolerable discomfort.

Still at work conditioning program and have cut back even more with exercises. Two days a week with PT ROM. Having radial/burning pain on outside lower leg since dec 21 and PT massaging that for now. Some exercises flare it up so going easier and monitor how it progresses. Daily stretching and foot massage for now.

GP recommended re-assess orthotics as the assessment is no charge. Getting another set as the ones I got in Sept are insufficient.

Overall I feel like the knee is a lot less inflamed and the band of inflammation extends only about 3" from the joint line. Still working on glute activation when walking and started to do some upper body weights 2x week.

Too snowy to walk outside or parking lots as of todays snow dump.... I will be hanging at home for the weekend.:flwrysmile:

Pleased and interested that you are still seeing progress at 11 months.
I am 3 months out from a lateral PKR and still have some medial knee pain particularly if I do stairs normally. Can only do a few steps down correctly.
Was interested in your comment a while back about medial collateral ligament damage as a cause of long term difficulty with rehab. My surgery was in the lateral side, so I don't think my MCL was touched. But my OS said that my MCL was stretched/stressed on the pre- op MRI and he thinks it is causing my residual pain. Just hoping it will settle with gentle exercise.

Pleased and interested that you are still seeing progress at 11 months.
I am 3 months out from a lateral PKR and still have some medial knee pain particularly if I do stairs normally. Can only do a few steps down correctly.
Was interested in your comment a while back about medial collateral ligament damage as a cause of long term difficulty with rehab. My surgery was in the lateral side, so I don't think my MCL was touched. But my OS said that my MCL was stretched/stressed on the pre- op MRI and he thinks it is causing my residual pain. Just hoping it will settle with gentle exercise.
How are things at 4 months?

How are things at 4 months?
Thanks. Still a roller coaster- but it has been complicated by a recent admission for severe sepsis due to Group A Streptococcus. Thankfully so far it has not affected my knee.
Overall I am just at the stage where I can see that my knee function is better than pre-op. Walking better and straighter than pre-op and starting to do stairs up and down normally. I still get some warmth and swelling at night but it settles with rest/ ice. But currently whenever my knee swells even slightly I freak about infection given my recent admission.

12 month update

One year since surgery with ongoing improvements to note. Going upstairs not so reliant on hand rail and more energy ..when ascending. Walking has improved ...15 minutes purposeful walking before I need a break/seat. I can now go do 3 15 minute walks with 10 minute rest in between. This takes me to failure/vice like pain and must break for min 45minutes after. Been focusing on glute activation with each step as my back has been compensating for my lazy glutes according to kinesiologist. Top shin pain has stopped along with the band of discomfort parallel with the incision.

Downstairs is very tough, the bending is too much for the most part but I try daily 4 stairs so so.
Pain is still daily occurrence but is now brought on by activity. ie. standing at kitchen sink, food prep or standing doing laundry. Significant pain when pulling exercise band from away from the body to closer or across body. Not doing this exercise regularly other than attempting at assessments. Hopefully not a sign.

Medial pain when cycling and walking is very common but much less on a scale of 5/10. Lateral pain just on outside of knee near fibia/pereoneal muscle seems to be flared up by exercises. Not sure if it's a muscle or nerve issue...get to see surgeon March 14th so maybe has some incite.

Medial pain when cycling and walking is very common but much less on a scale of 5/10.
Regarding medial pain- I still get this although improving. I had a really positive consultation with the inpatient physio when I was in recently for sepsis.
He confirmed that my medial pain was from my MCL being chronically overstretched pre- op.
He said that the most important muscle to benefit MCL issues was the medial quad- vastus medialis. He said it was generally underused and also helps with patellar tracking. He showed me a variety of the straight leg raise where you turn the foot out and engage the vastus muscle before lowering.

It sounds like everything you are describing is normal for a year out from a knee replacement. Going down steps is very difficult for a new knee. It takes much longer for most of us to do that without pain, sometimes even a couple of years or more.

I'd say you are doing well! Our gait and posture have a whole lot to do with how the rest of our body feels. Unfortunately, I still walk with my head down, watching the floor. This affects my back pain. When I can walk up straight, then the back does better. Try walking with a heel-to-toe gait with your head up. Hopefully, this will make your whole body feel better.

@EalingGran Thanks for the info! I'll check into it and see about exercises I can add to my current regime.

@sistersinhim Thanks for the info, It is good to know others are working through going downstairs at one year! Upstairs is a definite improve especially with a 2 storey home I make numerous trips a day.

Stairs can be rough for anyone. I have a single story house with 6 steps up to it. When I have to do stairs, I definitely can tell I'm out of shape for them. Since your home has stairs, you should 'train' your body to do them well. Just don't be discouraged about going down them without some discomfort. Look at all the stress you put on that new knee when you do that. Not only all your weight but also bending your knee at the same time with that weight on it. Add to that the gravity that is pulling you down, too. No wonder going down is more difficult than going up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts