Your input needed - please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linda, can you take and have you tried Aleve? It's the only one that works for me. Or maybe you could try Celebrex once your doctor gets back (it's prescription). But do talk with your doctor as soon as possible. You need to get on top of that pain to heal properly.

Diane I think your comment about having a solid discussion with your doc when he gets back is the best idea. Since thre are so many nsaids - prescription and OTC plus the straight pain killers. I am very afraid of Tylenol because of the liver indications. I took it ony for a month, I guess, after my TKR. Maybe less. But I had this great combination of Celebrex and Lyrica for the 2 weeks right after the operation, plus aspirin as a blood thinner. I didn't feel anytihng!!! I tend to think since there is nothing that is really "safe" forever -- you might be able to vary the NSAIDs for the arthritis -- until you find what works. And it will probably be enough for the knee too as you get stronger. You could also have a talk with your pharmacist. Sometimes he/she knows a lot more about drugs and drug interactions than doctors do.....

Diane, I certainly sympathize with you. I fell again, this time very hard and landed on concrete. Went to the ER but the x-ray of my elbow was inconclusive as there was too much swelling to make out if I had a fracture in that area. Hand swollen like a puffed up paw, whole left arm in agonizing pain much of the time and miracle of miricles my left knee, which I hurt last fall, is scratched up and at the time it felt like the prosthesis came through the skin I luckily woke up the next morning with no pain there. Funniest is one toe on my right foot is totally black and blue but doesn't hurt.

I am taking my regular pain meds and break-through pain meds regularly but still hurt. Get the best relief when I add mucsle relaxer. I take the generic of Soma, one or two at a time as needed. Of course there is a limit to how many I can take a day but I have yet to exceed it as they do make me sleepy.

So I don't have any advice as to what to use for your pain in addition to what you are now taking. I would take the pain meds the doctor gave me regularly but without any certainty that you can get another prescription I can see your hesitance. You are truly in a catch 22 situation and you deserve better.

Well, I got to go, can't type long or the pain starts and since I just took my pain meds I don't want to risk getting in a pain syndrome that will last until next dose.

Good luck, my prayers and good thoughts are always with you. Janet

R-O-W-D-Y!!! Geeze...NO falling, ya hear!!! We'll have to drag out the bubble wrap for you if you continue. Hope you feel better soon and I'm so glad nothing was hurt too badly.

OUCH!!! Rowdy! Can you really be too swollen to have an Xray read properly!
Oh Jamie! POP POP POP with all that bubble wrap!!! :)

I thought the same thing Judles, how can anything be too swollen for an x-ray? I think it is because the swelling is in the joint they think it may be masking a hairline fracture in the elbow. I know that my left arm is stiff and no longer bends the way it did but I think that is because of swelling in the joint still. It doesn't appear to be swollen but I suppose it could be swollen in the joint and not particularly show swelling otherwise. My hand is not swollen too badly today and I can type without any pain. What hurts is my shoulder but that has been hurting for quite a while now, only worse since this fall. In my defense, lol, I was taking the label off of a box to put in recycle and my husband got home and I forgot my son and my husband had stacked some boards below where I was working and I tripped over a board that was sticking out. I didn't tell them because I didn't want to make them feel bad and they would have. I just landed really hard on cement but it could have been so much worse and I feel really lucky. I just have to slow down and stop trying to do two, three and four things at a time. This fall has really accomplished that, but I have so much going on and so much to do I am more aggravated than anything. I do so appreciate this forum, thanks to you all, Janet

Rowdy--
Glad you're feeling a bit better today. I pray that you'll continue to heal without any more mishaps. What a trooper you are not to blame your guys for contributing to the fall--don't know if I'd be so kind. I bet my inner child would be demanding ice cream--LOL
Blessings,
Irene

Rowdy! Just feel better darlin'! We need you in good shape!!! :)

Rowdy, you are beyond kind to think of my problem when you have more on your plate then I could handle, I'm sure!
I thank you for your advice and I am going to see if we can get Soma, or something along that line, in Canada.
I'm glad your feeling a little better but for goodness sake take it easier and try doing one thing at a time. This multi-tasking and not leaving some of the work for your family can come later!
Keep the faith and try and relax more.

Diane

Grandma I hope you start feeling better. I have read alot of your posts and you are very strong, hang in there and get better soon. . Rowdy what are you doing! I am so sorry for your fall. Yes take it easy and rest that's what you would tell us right! Take care, get better soon. You are both in my prayers.

Can you really be too swollen to have an Xray read properly!

Very easily! When there is a lot of soft tissue, whether swelling or fat, the bone gets masked in a cloud of what looks like cotton wool and definition is lost. If the patient has osteo-porosis it's even worse because that will make the bone a fainter image too.

Rowdy I am just reading all this; have been working the last few days and no time to read . You really have to be aware of your body and where you move. I really hope your elbow and arm improve quickly but take it from me .. I am such a Klutz I trip over everything so I have learned to watch my feet. Balance is much better since the TKR but I'm still a klutz!! You feel so good with the new knee... You ( me too) forget to watch out the way you did when walking was painful !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom