THR Younger Patients

DEL2020Dec-14

I am 42. I thought I just hurt myself in softball one year, but I got to the point I couldn't walk. I finally bit the bullet and they found severe osteoarthritis in both hips and several labral tears, meaning total hip replacement on both hips is in my future. The first is scheduled the 21st. I am nervous, worried that when I have to get this replaced eventually, there will be more complications. I keep thinking I should just suck it up longer. It will be an anterior repair. Anyone had a hip replacement when they were younger and had a redo? Or someone who is younger now having it done?

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!

While you are on the younger end of average, its not at all uncommon to see members your age on the forum. There are at least two here currently and you should be able to locate their threads in the Hip Pre-Op side. One is (Fitness123) and her thread title is “Scared of getting a hip replacement” the other is (Chaotic) and her thread title is “Made it around the corner and back again”.

Following is some info you may find interesting -
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Please try not to worry. Understandably it’s difficult not to, but THR has excellent outcomes based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before, making it a possibility you’ll never have to experience the procedure again.

Stop back often. We’ll be here to offer support and encouragement as you move toward surgery and through recovery.

Wishing you comfort as you await the 21st.

Plenty folks. Just follow the links in Layla's response.

No, sucking it up just results in pain. The hip will continue to deteriorate and you'll start compensating in all kinds of ways (muscles and tissue shifting around to lesson the load on the bad hips) ...

So you're highly active. Have you talked to your surgeon about your goals afterwards? Yes, there is a very small chance of complications, but I'm not sure the complications you're referring to are the complications my surgeon referred to when he gave me his overview. Are there particular complications you are worried about?

Assuming you want to get back to softball, I say pick a really good surgeon and consider having the surgery. The hip will not get better on its own. This isn't a 50-50 surgery ... where there's 50 percent chance of disaster. Good surgeons have very low complications rates.

All I can say that sucking it up is not living. It usually means you are limited in what you can do and have to keep giving up things you enjoy or face major pain. Most of us no matter the age want to get back to living our lives without constant limitations or having to sit things out due to pain. The decision, of course, is yours.

I recently turned 38 and had my hip replaced 3 weeks ago. I made the decision because of the pain was getting worst and worst and I found myself making more and more adjustments to my life to compensate. Finally when my leg wouldn't even allow me to do work outs on a low impact elliptical. I decided whatever life is like after a hip replacement it must be better than what I had. When I met my surgeon he told me the story of Bo Jackson and how he had his hip replaced and continued to play pro sports. That sounded much better than what I had going on so that's when I made the choice.

If there is one universal theme and truth in any of the threads here it’s that once you’ve been diagnosed with arthritis causing you pain and limitations, there’s nothing that will make it heal and get better on its own. It usually gets worse and worse in a shorter and shorter time span. I’m glad you advocated for yourself and got a diagnosis and surgery date. OSs don’t pass those out for no reason. There are no awards for being heroic and sucking it up in this case. Only more pain and misery. Stick to your plan. You’ll thank yourself later. ❤️

I was 42 years old at the time of my THR. That came about because of a hip fracture that I sustained in a mountain biking crash, so I can't say much about the decision making process. It's been ten years though and my hip is just fine.

If you've been athletic your whole life, you still will be after hip replacement. Some things just don't change. Since the pandemic started, I've been doing lots of running and cycling to stay fit. I can do whatever I feel like though. Most of the people around me have no idea that I have an artifical hip.

I did about a month of physical therapy before my THR, so I was strong going into surgery. Post-THR I did two more months of physical therapy. I feel that really helped me get started on the right track. After I graduated from PT, I just worked out on my own to get where I wanted to be physically. It wasn't very different than the kind of athletic training that I'd been doing my whole life.

Best Wishes for your big day tomorrow!
Surgery will soon be behind you and the healing will begin. We will look for you on the Recovey side. Lots of support and encouragement to be found there if you care to join us.
All the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blessings for successful surgery and good pain control. Update us when you feel ready.

Best wishes for your surgery and a smooth recovery with great pain control. I hope we get to hear about your recovery when you feel up to sharing. :flwrysmile:

See you on the recovery side.
The start of a great recovery back to a healthy happy life :ok:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom