Young people getting TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least I'm not the only one now around my age. Makes me feel better. Thank you I'll let you know how mine goes.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Seriously please do. My anxiety rides on it ha-ha.

Lol I know how you feel I'm less then 2 weeks out.

The spinal wears off that day. I believe it's different than the one for a c section.
Of course it's not different! A spinal's a spinal!
I can't stand being in a bed all day.
Honey, you'll be so zonked and feel like you've had an argument with a Mac truck so being in bed won't be a chore. It will be cosy and comfy and you'll sleep most of the time and the hours will fly by. Enjoy it!

Thank you if I'm in bed hopefully I am knocked out. I won't mind then.

@Vangheluwec you will most likely sail through as being young does make a difference. I had a tibial plateau fracture at 41 years old. Now being 52 I can feel a big difference between recovery of TKA. Tissue & bone heal at whatever rate & we cannot speed that up but being young helps so take that as a plus.

Be prepared for two rough weeks post op & then it gets better. You will have ups & downs. Ice & elevate is so important.

You should only be in the hospital 2 days at most. I could have gone home in one day but my pain level was too high so I stayed one more day. I had a block for anesthesia and was up on a walker 8 hrs post op, no cathedar YAY.

I was able to get out of bed and walk less than 12 hours after spinal
I had feeling in my legs then

With the pain management pump and the pain meds, I did not feel much of anything---and, as Josephine stated, your pain meds will pretty much allow you to stay in bed---and you will not have a problem with that!

Good luck. Just ask the anesthesiologist about the continuous femoral block. It gives great pain relief...I had none

As you approach your big day---stay with us and let us know of any other questions or concerns that you may have.

We will be here for you throughout the entire process---all the way through fully recovered!

3 days out. How do I get my nerves under control, I'm so stressed at worrying what can go wrong. I'm starting to have a hard time sleeping because I just lay their and think about what is to come.

3 days out. How do I get my nerves under control, I'm so stressed at worrying what can go wrong.
Focus, instead---on what can go right!!! We all tend to focus on the "What ifs"---but this surgery is the most-performed in the world, and the chances of a great outcome are tremendous!!!

Focus, instead, on the positives---what you will be able to do when you have your TKR and are fully recovered---focus also on the pain-free lifestyle that is to come!

I'm trying that taking myself it will all be better in a few months. But like you said we all focus on the worst. Especially when I'm laying their trying to sleep. I will do my best to focus on the good. I think a lot of it might just be the fear of the unknown afterwords and the actual surgery. Idk it's just so close I did expect this to happen as it is new to me but my dr is good (I keep telling myself that) and I trust him.

@Vangheluwec

Nerves can be, well, unnerving ahead of this surgery. But I can tell you in my experience, and in most others I've talked to, the surgery ends up being very anticlimactic. Truth is, the surgery is the scariest part leading up to it, but it winds up being probably the easiest part of the whole experience.

Your youth will serve you well and you will do great. Can't wait to follow your recovery thread!

Thank you. I just need these next days to go fast.

ut I can tell you in my experience, and in most others I've talked to, the surgery ends up being very anticlimactic. Truth is, the surgery is the scariest part leading up to it, but it winds up being probably the easiest part of the whole experience
This is an excellent point---the surgery---my BTKR----was actually anticlimactic and "no big deal." I ended up wondering why I spent so much mental energy on it.

I am sure that, down the road, yo will feel the same way, too.

I bet I will. Just like when I was nervous about the scope surgery and the minis us surgeries.

It helped me to plan a trip in the future. In late January I will be almost four months out from knee number two, and am going a few hours away for my husband's birthday weekend. A very small trip, but have had huge fun and distraction researching the area on trip advisor and setting a doable agenda. Helps to have something fun to work toward. You will do great! Keep us posted on your progress.

I have a road trip to Texas planned in March already I usually live their in the winter but can't this year so I have to go get my car inspection and tags then. And in the way back were stopping at family's in Kansas. So I guess I already have something to look forward to. I love road trips always something to see and do. I will be about 4 months out by then just hoping I don't have a problem with the 1500 miles one way. Plus we always stop off in Nashville or St. Louis and will be staying a day or two in Dallas for my daughter. ( American girl doll store). We love Dallas. And Chicago on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member