Young and so many doubts

Did you get your ice packs? I bought some on Amazon. I'm in Florida so it's VERY hot and they seem to be working ok.

I too have had days of more pain then usual (imagine that!), so I think the Hip is trying for one last hurrah before surgery.

You are THIS close! Hope you rest tonight.

Does anyone have suggestions for ice packs to use? I’d prefer ones that will keep cold for a LONG time so I’m not constantly having to change them out. I’m having surgery in the middle of summer and it will be HOT! And no A/C :scaredycat:

I can't speak to their effectiveness yet, but I have 2 to try out...

https://tinyurl.com/ybfbuz4q
and
https://tinyurl.com/yca25pp4

The gel beads do both hot and cold, so thought I'd give them a try to see how they perform.

So many people at work are feeling sick!! Please let that stay away from me!

Oh no you can't get ill.:no-fin:
We've got things to do.
So sorry you are hurting so much now.
I had gotten to the same point!
It IS miserable...and sleep had become almost impossible.
Glad you don't have much longer to wait. Hang in there @LuvDisney :console2:

I have good and bad days too, but recently came back from holiday having had a "Trash the Hip party" - I did everything I wanted to do bar scuba as that puts other people at risk. Swimming was fine, snorkelling ok, steps, within reason but hobie cat sailing and dancing killed me and I woke up screaming at 3am. This convinced me that getting the op was the right thing to do. My avatar here is of one of my favourite beaches. I plan to go there in 6 months time a "new woman"... Best of luck and don't get ill!

@SurreyGirl Yes, dancing with my husband while in Mexico I felt fine doing it due to the alcohol but the next day the pain was so bad! I can’t wait to be able to dance with him and not worry!

It's going to happen :happyfeet:

LuvDisney, I wrote a detailed account of my surgery in my thread, "My Tips before surgery." Read about my experience and you may find some information that will be helpful to you. I hope knowing how well things went for me will calm your fears about getting this done.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is normal to have those doubts. I was in denial when I first started having hip pain. My only regret now is that I wish I had done it sooner. Prolonging the inevitable only gave me a longer recovery, with bad gait habits to break.
What was I trying to prove?

this is one of my main dilemmas. i just got diagnosed with moderate hip arthritis and learning as much as i can. i have stopped all high impact activities. but that burning question of IF or WHEN .. sooner vs later.. etc. goes on and on in my mind all day long. and to add to the confusion some say wait, some say better to get it sooner, etc. ...

this is one of my main dilemmas. i just got diagnosed with moderate hip arthritis and learning as much as i can. i have stopped all high impact activities. but that burning question of IF or WHEN .. sooner vs later.. etc. goes on and on in my mind all day long. and to add to the confusion some say wait, some say better to get it sooner, etc. ...

I'd said for years "I need new hips" When I walked into the Surgeon's office in February and he confirmed that I was still in some disbelief. He told me we can wait (I waited a few months due to scheduling issues), we can try PT and injections but you are just delaying the inevitable. He said you are already making adjustments to what you can can do, your hips are to the point that you are just delaying the inevitable. He said recovery would be easier because in general I'm not limping (I do only when pain gets real bad) and hopefully I can get more years out of the new hips than the old ones.

Can't wait to hear how your replacements go! I am young as well. I have some OA but deal with more bone spurs and impingment than anything. It causes me a lot of sharp pains with everyday motions and high restrictive ROM. My OS said wait until I can't, but I am on the fence about it too. I agree to not let it get too bad, but it's hard to think "oh am I in enough pain yet?"
My OS was a 3rd referral. The 1st two were not sure how they could help me (the actual ball, socket, and femur are deformed).
There are a lot of activities that I enjoyed that I cant do or am limited (hiking, biking, walking, tennis) , but I'm not sure if they are nessesary enough to say yes I want to go ahead and do it.
What made you decide to say yes in the first place? Did you have like an ah ha moment of 'yep I need to'?

I made a decision long ago that I was going to QUIT quitting things I loved due to something hurting that is very fixable. If you look back over the years and remind yourself of all the hikes you didn't take, bike rides, mountain climbs, wrestling with nephews, playing backyard football, gardening - WHATEVER you've given up - and ask yourself if it's OK that your life has become so restricted - then you can probably rationalize other ways to not get fixed. Maybe walking with a cane isn't so bad. Maybe not having restful sleep isn't too big of a deal. Maybe dancing with your child at a wedding isn't special...

Everyone on this board who has made this surgical decision has no-doubt played mind games rationalizing away our pain. Just ponder what you want your life to be like.

2nd replacement scheduled for next Monday (I'm 54) and I can't WAIT to get back to full mobility! Being 54 there are automatically things I can't (or shouldn't) do but walking/hiking/biking pain free sure aren't on that list.

6 more days till surgery. I’ve gone from having so many doubts to being oh so ready for it!

I’ve decided to use the Ice Packs they have at the hospital I work at and fill them with water/alcohol. I figure they should last awhile...

I'd said for years "I need new hips" When I walked into the Surgeon's office in February and he confirmed that I was still in some disbelief. He told me we can wait (I waited a few months due to scheduling issues), we can try PT and injections but you are just delaying the inevitable. He said you are already making adjustments to what you can can do, your hips are to the point that you are just delaying the inevitable. He said recovery would be easier because in general I'm not limping (I do only when pain gets real bad) and hopefully I can get more years out of the new hips than the old ones.

so were you moderate or severe with the arthritis?

what kind of pains where you having? and activities you stopped? or distances you could walk? not walk, etc., kind of an overall impact question. curious as i am starting to think "just get it over with"! thanks and good luck.

what kind of pains where you having? and activities you stopped? or distances you could walk? not walk, etc., kind of an overall impact question. curious as i am starting to think "just get it over with"! thanks and good luck.

I was having sharp pains in my hip and groin. The faster I walked the more it would hurt. A leisurely stroll for the most part isn’t an issue. Stairs I eliminated because they would hurt when I did them and make my stationary pain worse. Even a Hill incline usually causes pain. Standing for a long time also isn’t my friend.

Well, I’m now post-op. I’ll get a new thread in recovery going soon. All I can say right now is I’m so very thankful my surgeon stuck with only doing one side at a time. I cannot imagine both hips feeling like this right now.

All temporary poor LuvDisney.:console2:
So glad to hear from you though.
This is the tough stuff...hope they are being good to you and that you will be able to go home soon.
Healing hugs:roseshwr:

@Mojo333 Im already home. The hospital sends most of their patients home the same day. Start to finish I was there about 8 hours. Before leaving I had to be able to walk with PT, get dressed with OT and go pee.

Had in home PT today just to make sure I was doing things safely. I’m a little uneven so I’m wearing a shoe on my non-surgical side to try and help my gait straighten out. I was rocking while walking.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts