THR Yorkiegs1 Recovery

yorkiegs1

Country
United States United States
Well I had my LTHR surgery Anterior on June 12 and today Sunday 16 is four days PO. I’m feeling pretty good, doing my home exercises, taking all meds am on 2.5 mg oxycodone, 2 Tylenol every 4 hrs and some other meds for BMs which I have not done yet. I’m resting in between taking wonderful naps and icing the incision 24/7. I’m a little tired. Have some pain in the groin and incision area but I’m hopeful it will go away within a few weeks. I need to build my muscles up in my op leg so I can move it better. Am a little weak doing the marching exercise but it is getting better. So far no swelling in my legs but I am running mild temps at night with last nights it was 100.7. I’m drinking allot of water mixed with cherry juice for a little flavor. Was told it would take a full year to get back to 100%. But everyday gets better. I have a home aid coming in on Monday to help with my home PT etc. And after 14 days will have my staples removed. My husband is taking very good care of me. Cooking my meals and doing everything that I was doing but can’t now. I’m sleeping in my recliner because right now it’s impossible to sleep and get comfortable in bed. So I’ll stay in the recliner a few weeks until the pressure subsides on my op leg. My little dog Ginger knows there is something not right with Mommy and sleeps with me on my good leg and is happy to be by me. My husband picks her up and puts her by me as I cannot bend to get her yet. She is a small 7 lb toy Yorkshire Terrier.
My incision is covered with a nice waterproof dressing which is see through and any drainage will come to the top. So far so good. I had a nice shower yesterday after being in hospital fir 3 days. I have the Polar3 uncemented implant with one screw. The surgeon showed me my X-ray and it looks perfect. She said I had excellent bone quality. Having my bone density test 2 days b4 surgery the tech said I was in the green. No osteoporosis or osteopenia so that’s good news for this 65 yr old gal.
My moto is “one day at a time”. As long as I’m careful, taking meds, keeping hydrated, icing and elevating, doing the simple home exercises I should progress and bounce back quick.
I have to admit I am a little tired but as the pain subsides I’ll have more energy. I believe I made the right decision to go through with this surgery and hopefully by next summer I’ll be back on my bike.
The OP PT should help me reach my goals.
Keeping a positive, optimistic attitude going forward will help!!

@yorkiegs1 Good to see you checking in and letting all know how you are doing. Sounds like you have a good plan to work at. Wishing you a speedy recovery. And your dog sounds cute...❤

@yorkiegs1 Welcome to the other side. If you have been around BoneSmart for any length of time you will know that we do not recommend aggressive PT post THR. Please don't push to do those exercises - you will build your strength back just walking.

Watch out for energy drain (see article below). Don't fight it - just nap when you can.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
It sounds like you're doing pretty well for 4 days post op. Just as Jaycey mentioned we need to caution you in regard to PT. Marching steps are not advised and I'm not sure what other exercises they have you engaging it, but please take it slow and don't push through anything that hurts. You just experienced major surgery and your body is trying to heal and doesn't need to be put through the rigors of a workout. It is your choice but please read the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines, Jaycey, left above and then proceed with caution.
I hope you have a lovely Sunday and week!
@yorkiegs1

:hi: and welcome!
You sound to be doing very well.
All that surgery trauma needs lots of tender loving care and some time to level out.
Exercises you feel are necessary can happen after some more healing has happened.
Just walking is plenty for now and lots of :ice::ice::ice:
You are going to love your new hip!:tada:

Thank you everyone for your comments. Today 19th is one week post op. I was able to get into my bed last night after having slept in the recliner for 6 nights. Happy, happy was I. I have the home care PT aid coming tomorrow. I met with her earlier in the week and she will start me slowly on simple exercises that I can do. She said she is not the drill sergeant type. If it hurts we don’t do it. I’m using the walker around the house. I have not attempted to take a walk on the street. I live in a rural area and can go up and down the street. But currently am holding off due to Black flies and mosquitos here in the upper Adirondacks. I’ve made big improvements since I came home from the hospital on June 14. I’ll check in periodically to post more details or questions about my recovery. Wishing everyone blessings.

Glad you got a bed rest last night:sleeep: and that you are happy with your PT.
Thanks for the update.
Healing vibes coming your way:tada:

Good for you. Happy to hear the PT is a 'holistic' type and not a drill sergeant. Also happy that you are doing well. Isn't it nice when we have the fur critters around to care-take?

Read a lot of recovery threads and you will get a realistic time line of when you will "bounce back". Everyone's body is different but you most likely will find that 1 year is realistic and you will still have improvements past then.

Oh Hi!! We are almost “matching” hips as my Sx was on 6/14. My progression sounds about like yours. I am having some post op drainage and I am going to post photos at my friends insistence (we are nurses) but I think it’s fine and I called Home Health RN abd they say “they aren’t supposed to touch it until it breeches the edges” so I guess we aren’t there yet.

I am tired and also have been sleeping in chair/couch. Doing baby PT 3x wk for about 30min w Home PT. And will keep it that way.

Glad to hear all is about the Dane was your recovery. I guess it makes us feel “more normal”to have someone the same. Continued healing.

Lisa Grady

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Today is 10 days post op and I’m finding night time is most difficult. I still have pain in the groin and around the incision site which is still bandaged. And the pain radiates into my shin.
I’m icing the incision area and elevating my legs at night in bed. But I cannot get comfortable. I may sleep 3 to 4 hrs then wake up, reposition and then can’t go back to sleep.
When can I expect the surgical pain to subside?
Today I took oxycodone 2.5 mg this am and at 8pm at night. I take Tylenol in between when I need it. I only take the oxy when I feel I need it and I’d like to stop it ASAP. Am I rushing this?

Oh one more question when can I start to sleep on my side? I’m 10 days post op. I’m a side sleeper and I’d like to try sleeping on the non op side with pillow between my legs but I’m afraid. So I’m in my back for now. Staples coming out on Tuesday 6/25.

I’m finding night time is most difficult
This is a very common complaint these early days unfortunately.
I think you should stick with the meds a bit longer.

I may sleep 3 to 4 hrs then wake up, reposition and then can’t go back to sleep
:sigh:
Lots of sympathy here as this was my experience too. I would try the bed for a few hours then head to the recliner for dozing and mindless TV.:unsure:
Oh one more question when can I start to sleep on my side?
This didn't happen for me for months:gaah: but I didn't have a non-op side...so hopefully you shall have better luck.
Check out this link
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-laying-on-my-back-when-can-this-be-done.32099/

Early days, friend. Keep that patience muscle flexed. All temporary!:ok:

Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
It sounds like you're doing pretty well for 4 days post op. Just as Jaycey mentioned we need to caution you in regard to PT. Marching steps are not advised and I'm not sure what other exercises they have you engaging it, but please take it slow and don't push through anything that hurts. You just experienced major surgery and your body is trying to heal and doesn't need to be put through the rigors of a workout. It is your choice but please read the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines, Jaycey, left above and then proceed with caution.
I hope you have a lovely Sunday and week!
@yorkiegs1

Good to know the answers to my questions. Thank you so much everyone who responded.
I already feel better.
My PT was here today and she was very gentile. Hosp said do ex 3 x a day PT said it’s to much just do once a day. She said some peeps are too anxious and do more harm than good. I have been walking around the house with my walker. My husband has been great with responding to my every desire ( thank u honey). I dropped 4 lbs with eating less and healthier figuring every lb I drop is less burden on my hip.
PT said okay to try to sleep on the non op hip but to put a pillow in between my legs which I’m doing at night anyway. I may wait until next week after having bandage and staples removed. One day at a time is all I can ask.
Family visit this weekend for a few days should help perk up things. My little Yorkie loves sitting in her mamas lap.

Hi @yorkiegs1
Hope this finds you well...wondering if you had staples removed and getting settled into your "recovery groove"
All temporary and to a great end, so keep the faith!

Hi @yorkiegs1
Hope this finds you well...wondering if you had staples removed and getting settled into your "recovery groove"
All temporary and to a great end, so keep the faith!

Hi Mojo, yes staples were removed this past Tues 25th. I’m progressing. Moving around more am still on the walker. Today is two weeks from the day I came home from hospital. I have groin pain and am still icing. Have home PT come in twice a week. I’m able to sleep on my non op side with a big pillow between my legs. Today PT is going to show me how to use my cane. She said on Wed I’m not ready to transition to the cane. I’m off the oxycodone for the last 4 days and am taking the Tylenol when I need it.

Sounds all very normal to me...that is about where I was at two weeks.
Gets old quick, I know:sigh:
But you will be quite happy with the results of this slow patient recovery.
Until then, stay on ice:ice:

Sounds all very normal to me...that is about where I was at two weeks.
Gets old quick, I know:sigh:
But you will be quite happy with the results of this slow patient recovery.
Until then, stay on ice:ice:

Hi Mojo, appreciate your comments. This forum is so nice to have somewhere to express concerns n feelings. I’m icing right now. Did pretty good with PT today n walked around with the cane but not ready to transition. That groin muscle is weak which is normal I suppose. But the therapist was extremely pleased with my progress and said that I was right where I need to be at the 2 week mark.

Very early days and you ARE doing splendidly.
Lots of healing happening.
Stick around...milestones will come and we will be happy to celebrate them with you.
You are going to be so glad to have had this done...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom