Lounge Doctor

THR Yoli's Hip Recovery Thread

Yoli

Country
Mexico Mexico
Hello June Sunbeams!
Today was my first day back home, having been dismissed from the Hospital yesterday. I was feeling pretty good this morning, even managed to shower and get dressed (with help).
I was feeling so good that I walked myself to the bathroom, and walked quite a bit with the walker. I feel as if my right (operated) leg is longer than my left. Doctor assured me that will normalize. Was feeling pretty good but then pain hit me in the afternoon. So I’m now icing and elevating my leg. Ice helps a LOT!
Lesson learned today... slower and less is better.
Hope all June Hippies are doing well.

Celle

MODERATOR EMERITIUS
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Yoli - and :welome: to recovery.

I've moved your post from the June Sunbeams and started a recovery thread for you.

The team thread is primarily a list, to allow you to see who has had surgery the same month as you. We ask that each member records their progress in their own recovery thread and not in the monthly team thread. It would get far too confusing to have everyone posting in the same thread.

So please post any updates or questions about your recovery in this thread, your own recovery thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts .

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle

Celle

MODERATOR EMERITIUS
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It sounds as if you're doing very well so far.
Here is some reading for you - lots of informative articles to help you:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OP
OP
Yoli

Yoli

Country
Mexico Mexico
Thanks @Celle
Moving slowly but surely.
Will read up on the articles.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
United States United States
Good to hear you’re resting comfortably at home and doing well, Yoli.
Its good you’re learning to take it slow from the beginning and the benefit of ICE. :ice:
Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
@Yoli

OP
OP
Yoli

Yoli

Country
Mexico Mexico
June 10, 2021
Today is day 12 after my surgery. I am pain free and off pain meds! So grateful for that. The pain meds were actually making me anxious, nauseous, and dizzy. Also, finally able to sleep on my left side with pillows between my legs so my lower back is grateful as well. Coming home and being in my own space is healing in and of itself.
My doctor allows me to walk inside the house and small walks outside in the garden. No stairs allowed!
My physical therapy will begin in 10 days, once staples are out.
Hope all June Sunbeams are on the road to recovery.
Yoli

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
You’re doing great, Yoli! Good to hear. Thanks for updating. Pain free and off meds is a milestone for sure. The ability to sleep comfortably is also a great achievement. Wishing you a smooth recovery.
Please stay in touch. We’d love to follow your progress.
@Yoli

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Sounds like you are starting this recovery splendidly!
Slow and steady is definitely the way to get back to your life quicker.:ok:
Hope your Sunday is sweet!:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Yoli

Yoli

Country
Mexico Mexico
July 23, 2021
Staples came out yesterday. Scar is gnarly, but I’d rather have a scar than pain.
My doctor observed me walking and says I’m still limping, I tend to lift my right butt cheek. So, I really have to concentrate on walking evenly so as not to develop a permanent limp.
He still wants me to continue to use the walker, but I will begin physical therapy next week, so hopefully I can stop using it soon.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hi @Yoli Thanks for the update!
Keep heel-toe walking in mind in an effort to resolve the limp.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual…hope it helps.

1627142717668.jpeg

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Yoli nice update! There's no shame in using your walker longer if it helps improve your gait. I used mine for quite a while and even when I switched to the cane I kept it handy for those days you just get tired. Also kept it next to the bed for those late night/early morning trips to the bathroom. Definitely wanted to stay safe.

OP
OP
Yoli

Yoli

Country
Mexico Mexico
Yes @Elf1, I am still keeping the walker next to my bed precisely for those "sleepy" walks to the bathroom. Went to my PT session this morning. Did some work with the elastic band, leg lifts, bridges, and opening hips wide... felt sooo good! No more pain. I'm feeling so blessed, but still taking it slowly so as not to overwork.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Yoli!
I hope you have a great week and continue to enjoy steady progress.
Stay in touch! :wave:
@Yoli

OP
OP
Yoli

Yoli

Country
Mexico Mexico
Thank you @Layla,

I am happy to report that I almost don't think about my hip anymore. I am walking without the walker, and unless I'm overly tired or I'm sitting for long periods of time, I believe I don't have a limp anymore. Still going to physical therapy once a week and doing the exercises at home on my own. I also started swimming which is fantastic!
My surgeon reminds me that I need to still pace myself until I complete my 3 months anniversary before I can resume my other physical activities such as walking the dogs, biking, hiking, etc.

Hope all June sunbeams are on their road to recovery.

Yoli

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FunctionIsFun
Recent bookmarks