Bilateral THR Yogi recovery from BTHR.....

Yogigirl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well that wasn’t how I expected to struggle! Really low BP stalled me post op and I felt like pooh for hours.
Now it’s just my normal low and my issue is weeing! Never normally an issue. I’ve drunk so much, put fingers under a running tap, left taps on. Tried a bedpan and a commode (I stood up and it was hard but fab!)
Any ideas please? Sorry to make this my first recovery post but it’s frustrating me as I don’t want a catherter.
Apart from that I’m uncomfortable but not in pain (thank you drugs) and just keep thinking about how I am going to sleep on my back?!
So so glad I’m on the other side!

You guys are busting through the Recovery side gates one after another today. First Cecropia, then shrek008, now you! :yay:
Welcome to the bright side, so happy to see you here! :welome:
I'm sorry you've had a rough start but it sounds like things are better. Not sure about ideas to help with urination other than time and drinking water. I hope you are resting comfortably and have a peaceful first night.

Following you'll find the Recovery Guidelines. Check in whenever you're feeling up to it. We'll be here.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Oh yay, do glad to greet you on the healing side and say we'll done to my new bilateral pal!:chuckmarch:
Both at once!?!
That is your new moniker you know.
Unfortunately, the body''s reaction to anesthesia is unpredictable.
I had little appetite also, but do try to sip and if the catheter is necessary, try not to be too upset.
I had one inserted (surprise to me) that was taken out about five hours post surgery.
Roll with it for now...you might have to ask for ice (I did) when things start "coming around"
I know you are happy to be Done and will be happy that you will get through the tough stuff and be on your way to getting your life back.

Healing mojo coming your way @Yogigirl :console2:

Wonderful to see you on the recovery side, all done! Sorry about the weeing..........I was wee-wee-weeing all over the place and the nurses hated me!!! I hope they keep you comfy with the pain meds and ice. Soon you'll be on your way to getting your life back. Get some rest, you need it now! :SUNsmile:

Thank you everyone
I feel amazingly comfortable considering though I am assuming that’s the drugs!
I’ve elevated my legs but not been offered ice. I may ask although I am ok at the moment. I’m planning to ask for a sleep aid as I’m wide awake after dozing a lot through the afternoon. Also I’m a side sleeper normally so not looking forward to sleeping on my back with a cushion keeping my legs apart.
Still smiling that I managed to stand up for a minute & it didn’t hurt just felt weird and slightly detached. I understand your muscles are looser post op & it felt like that!!!

So happy to see you here on the recovery side and you've already stood up! Sorry about the weeing issue and have absolutely no idea to help you along other than keep hydrating. Hoping you have a restful night, understand the sleeping on the back, not looking forward to it either.
:ok:

Congrats on the new hips! Yes, to wee or not to wee, that is the question (over and over for the first 24 or so hours :heehee:) It seemed like I would just get comfortable then I would be up again and have to sit a while to go. Part of the shared experience, I’m afraid. Anyway that’s one hurdle. Hopefully you will be reasonably comfortable and get some rest. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you need or want. Looking forward to next update. ❤️

Congrats @Yogigirl, my BTHR buddy! Wow amazing they got you up right away! That is such good news... I too had low BP and came close to being transfused so they gave me a ton of IV fluids. In recovery they put in a catheter. It was great at first because I didn’t have to move to pee. If you had a spinal, as I did, it can affect your ability to pee. They can do an ultrasound to make sure your bladder is being emptied, lowers the risk of UTI. Keep up the spirits and good work!

PS I started sleeping on my side at about Day 20 (very carefully with pillows between my legs), that’s with a posterior approach.

@jwadds three more weeks before side sleeping sounds doable. Thank you.
Yes I had IV fluids and as much as I could drink....they said I was dehydrated so much by the operation that my body absorbed everything initially rather than excreting it. Which makes sense.
So far the worst bit has been the first few hours of feeling pooh with a low BP and being so immobile. I’m not in pain which is great (apart from where they did the stomach injection)
I’m excited about tomorrow and walking.

Congratulations! All done now and you can concentrate on your recovery! :)

Congratulations!! Hopefully you got a bit of decent sleep and are being kept comfortable. Do ask for ice to keep the swelling from taking hold which can cause added pain. Enjoy your little walks today but watch the speed limit!
:flwrysmile:

Hope you got some rest last night, glad to hear no catheter was needed, don't like those things. Here's to getting up and doing a little walking today and hopefully your pain levels stay controlled. Have an awesome day!
:yahoo:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette