yoga

Status
Not open for further replies.

gammy

Two weeks short of a year since my surgery (two knee replacements, yes, both at the same time). Feel great although left and worse knee gets stiff. Want to know if normal that can't get on knees..hurts.:D

Everyone is a little different as far as kneeling after joint replacement surgery. I had to work up to it gradually. First I kneeled on the bed for short periods each day. Then I switched to the carpet. It was more difficult, so I had to just put slight pressure on my knees at first. Gradually it got easier over the course of a year. Now at 2 years I can kneel on hard surfaces too. I can't do it for long periods of time yet, but I'm hoping even that will come with time.

Go at it gradually. You have to "desensitize" your knees somewhat. At least I did. It will feel really odd for quite a while. Maybe not pain, just strange. That gets better with time.

I was really happy at six months when I could do Child's Pose in yoga. I still cannot sit on my heels. Now, with my new knee, I am back to stiffness (five weeks). I knelt down at communion last week, without even thinking---my priest said, oh no, you should just stand!!! I have to admit, that I was glad to stand up--too early for right knee to be kneeling!!!

I did a lot of kneeling in pt. Would kneel on the bed and allow my butt to sink down. Just like Jamie said-- a little at a time. Kelly

I'm still trying to 'desensitise' my knee at 14 months. I so want to kneel to pray in church. The thing I'm missing most of all.

Jo, have you tried kneeling first on the side of a bed? I used to kneel at pt on the tables with a pillow under my knee. Then, one day I just sank down at the communion rail---and I was home. I think you can get there, you have great rom---it is just an issue of getting used to it and trying it at home where it is safe the first 50 times.

I have to admit that when I knelt down without thinking last week--I was oh so happy to come back up!!! Kelly

I can kneel on my bed, but I don't like it. I did it during physical therapy for my shoulder when I was around eight to ten months out from surgery (on a padded PT bed thingy). I didn't like it then either. It isn't really painful, but it feels weird and then there's the mental aspect of what I think is going to happen if I kneel.

I don't like how it feels and right now it keeps me from having to do some housework-related stuff that requires getting onto my knees.
:hehe:

I have a think memory foam cushion which I put on the floor between two chairs. It gives me something upon which to heave up my not inconsiderable bulk!

And we don't have communion rails in Pentecostal churches! But I like to kneel and sometimes lie prostrate when praying - least I always did like to! (One o'them things that go by the board when the knees start up!) I never felt so close to God as when I was face down on the carpet!

I wrote this prose poem that kind of epitomises how I feel when prostrated

Love Psalm

I feel Your soft caresses,
Your warm breath
Cascading over my head and shoulders,
down my arms like silk chiffon.
You are the core of my body,
the essence of my soul,
My heart’s beat,
the breath of my life.
You are the meaning of my life
my Saviour, my Father, my God.
I, whose rightful place is
to kneel at Your feet in penitence
Hardly daring to touch
the tip of Your toe with my tears.
How is it possible for me
to stand before You thus?
Only by the love of Christ
the Blood of the Lamb
The desire of God to be united
with His people.
Only because of this can I
stand before You
Be one of Your sheep
Your beloved child
Only thus can I dare to
love You and return
A tiny part of that love
You have expressed to me;
My Holy Saviour, my Father, my God

Jo, what a loving and heartfelt poem. I can see where you get your strength from

Well Jo,

I am sure you know that as an Episcopalian I have not spent a lot of time prostrate on the rug of a church! However, if that is your goal, I do understand . . .and I have two thoughts on this. If you can do it by kneeling on your memory foam pillow and eventually, get there, great!! If you cannot get into that position, then you will have to look for the lesson in your experience.

I think that God sends us many lessons in life--in my own case, I seem to not see the more subtle ones and I mostly get hit in the side of the head with my lessons!!! Knee replacement is one of those---I have learned alot more about compassion for others. I have learned to jump up and help the person struggling with crutches or a walker. I have learned with a great gift health is---and to feel compassion for those who do not share my physical health.

Medaevail churches did not even have pews---everyone stood up for prayer. In our case, many Anglicans have begun to stand for prayers instead of kneeling. So, perhaps you may have to find joy in standing before God with your prayers. when we kneel or lie on the floor, we create our own special space with our God--but with standing we are more aware of our congregation---perhaps that is your lesson, Jo. To find the joy of commnal prayer--to glory not only in your relationship with God but with your relationship with godly people. To be beside your fellow worshipper and perhaps to see a need that one of your neighbors might have.

Remember--I am not an easy learner in all of this!! But, acceptance of where we are is something that I have had to learn. Right now, I am doing well with my knee but I have to accept that I have hours of the day when I am in this bed with my knee on three pillows. Last time I spent a lot of time complaining about that fact. This time, I have spent the time reading the posts of others and trying to feel where they are coming from and what help they might need. In short, to be a member of this community rather than a whiner and taker.

Jo, I am sure that you will find your lesson in all of this---I hope you learn easier than I do--some of my lessons have been quite hard since I think God ran out of patience!!! But maybe you will have to pray upright from now on so that it is easier to hug and love those around you. Kelly

Oh, you know what, Kelly - I think you and I are a lot more alike than we realise! :hehe: I fully concur with everything you have said and know for sure that God is teaching us all the time. What a lovely post! Thank you so much - you are obviously a very Spirit-filled lady. :catkiss:

It was comforting to read your posts this evening! It bought a smile to my face...every night I ask the Great Healer to take care of my new knee...frequently throughout my recovery I've turned everything over to the Lord!

Yes, it has taken me along time to come to grips with my infirmaties and to accept the fact of the new knees. I have gone through grief and denial and then, finally acceptance.

I have been a jock all of my life---and have been fairly arrogant about my physical health and strength. Then, to encounter weakness and pain and disability was almsot embarassing to me. At ski school, lask of strength is weakness---and there is no sypathy for it. Also, of course, at 66 I am also facing aging and not being able to ski like I am 25.

Last winter, I finally released my fears and anger--my denial, my efforts to appear Normal. I finally came to acceptance and joy in the fact that I can still ski and enjoy myself in the mountains. I don't ski as hard and as fast as I used to ski, but i have joy in the mountains every day of my life. I looked to the hills and found my strength there, waiting for me.

Even now, while I spend this time lying in bed, propping my knee, I try to remember the pleasure and joy of walking and skiing with knees that don't hurt. I try to be grateful for this surgery that will allow me to cintinue to lead an active mountain life. I remember the day in soccer that I did not start at the beginning of the game. I cried---and then had to decide---did I love the game enough to play and not worry about "being the best"; or did I play because I was the "best".

I knew that I loved the game and would continue to play no matter what. I played that day and many days after that. The same with skiing. I love it--and I love teaching skiing even more. I can no longer bump down a mogul run at top speeed, but I can slither down a mogul run and have a ton of fun at the same time.

I will ski this winter with great pleasure just to be out there, in the mountains!!! Kelly

Great post, Kelly. Although Phase II of your life may not be quite as push-it-hard active, it still has a lot to offer. To most folks on this forum even your scaled down activity is awesome and inspiring!! You always amaze me....in fact I think of you and your determination when I face something that is a little tough in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker