Yoga and tkr

Status
Not open for further replies.

skigirl

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
I went to yoga last week for the first time in a while and I was so surprised to see that when I tried to sit cross legged, my knees were popped up much higher than before my tkrs.

I talked about it with my pt and it is obvious that as we get weaker and stiffer from bad knees--parts of us shorten up. In my case, my hip flexors. So, having tight hip flexors and tight quads is what is preventing me from getting to the lotus position. Gentle stretching is the answer, of course. In other words, yoga.

I find that yoga is a system of stretching that really is helping me get past some of the "stiffness" that lingers after the tkr. When I go to yoga, I tell the teacher before class that I have had knee surgery and am stiff. That way, she/he can be more understanding and helpful. I try to do everything, but if I struggle, the teacher usually suggests an easier way to do things. I also have signed up for "Gentle Yoga" for right now.

But, it is helping, and I can feel some of those tight places start to loosen up a little. I put an extra blanket on my pad, so that I can kneel during the child's pose---which is getting easier and easier for me to do.

I think I am going to try some "Hot Yoga" as everyone of my friends swears by it to help relieve stiffness!! Kelly

What is "Hot Yoga," Kelly?

You know what, Kelly - ever since a child I've never been able to sit cross-legged at all because my adductors are so tight. When I took up horse riding, getting on and off was a nightmare for the same reason. And when I sat on the saddle, I was clipped on tight like a clothes peg! My trainer said it must have reduced the risk of my falling off by some considerable %! I talked with physios about it and they gave me some stretches to do but I couldn't seem to do them to the extent it made any difference and in the end they said I was too tight and needed to see an orthopod - for a tenotomy! No thanks! The very idea!

Gosh, Jo, I agree---all of those surgeries like the tendon release they do on knees are questionable at best and mutilating at worst.

It is intersting to me that adults do not have the idea of leading a child with patience and joy to those things that they do well!!! and just moving on from those things that are physically difficult. If you had had one leg, they would have treated you differently. When your body does not bend or stretch in the way someone else wants it to do---that is another type of disability. And surgery is NOT the answer~!!!!

I also have never enjoyed riding horses--and I am sure my tight Hip flexors play into that as well. But, you did stumble into nursing which seems to have been a very satifiying career for you, Jo. So, you did find your way to what you do best. Too bad those other adults could not have helped you with out with some positive thoughts!!!

Jamie--hot yoga which has a real, official name that I cannot remember. is yoga in a very hot room---about 100 degrees. Apparently, the heat and the sweating help you to stretch your muscles. I have read positive reports in several books and magazine articles on arthritis. I have been meaning to try it--there is a studio here. I will let you know how it goes. Kelly

My 27-year old daughter has been doing yoga lately. My Mom also did it. I'll never forget when she (my Mom) came home one day and stood on her head.

Good luck on your yoga, Kelly and hope to hear more about it!

Yes, Kelly....I would be interested to think what you think of the Hot Yoga!!! It sounds like it would be beneficial.

Kelly I have never really tried Yoga but have always loved dance. I may look for a class post-op when I get to a point in my recovery that I am able to start. Do you recommend starting in any one type?

Donna
Scheduled Novemeber 1 2010

I would look for any class that is labeled beginner or gentle at first. I mainly do hatha yoga, as that is the type often taught in my area. I have heard that Naam yoga is a very gentle type of yoga as well.

I also have loved dance--took modern dance in college and often afterwards--yoga is the closest that I get to those types of classes!!

Make sure you tell the instructor in advance that you are new and that you have knee issues. She will help you if there is a difficult position---she will give you an easier way to get the same effect. All of my yoga teachers have been wonderful, gentle and very fit!!! Kelly

I did about 4 sessions of Hot Yoga (it's called Bikram Yoga here) back in the summer of 2009. It's very hot in the room, I heard it was 105 degrees but maybe it varies, and lasts for 90 minutes. It's really soothing on the muscles, I found after 3-4 sessions I was getting stronger in my core and my knees really felt good from all that heat. I had to stop going because my folk's house had to be sold as soon as possible and that ended up ruining my right knee, making it too painful to do the yoga again.

I'd like to start back up again but I think I need to wait until I'm closer to 6 months or more post-op. There are some positions where you are on your knees and I know I'm not ready for that yet.

Skigirl-
I'm so glad you brought this up. I just happened to see a show on TV about a yogo class for older people that use chairs for the postions eliminating the the need to get down on the floor. And I thought perfect! I had tried yoga only once and could not kneel on my knee and struggled thru the class. The instructor asked me why wasn't I able to do the poses. I think I was the only one to every flunk yoga!
I get a massage once a month and my massage therapist goes to the Hot yoga classes and loves it. They are a bit pricey though. Yoga has been in the news lately and there was even a large get together down by the lake this weekend in support of November being National Yoga Month. This would be a good time for me to look into an arthritis yoga class in town. I bet there is one someplace.
Thanks for bringing up this subject. I think it could be a benefit for us all.
Martha

I am happy to see so many people look at yoga. I went to a Brkram yoga (thanks, susie)--which is held in a hot room--105 degrees today. I thought I might not like it because of the heat--but, my muscles felt so long and almost liquid feeling. it was like something shifted and I could move easier.

I still could not sit completely flat while cross legged, but I have been working on that and there was an improvement to day. It felt wonderful to let my quads stretch out. I could not do every position, but the instructor was great and would offer an alternative position to me immediately. Remember to tell your instructor before the class that you have fake knees and especially if you have trouble kneeling.

At the end of the class, I got up from a seated position--from the front, using my leg muscles. I was shocked!! I have been flipping over with my hands and feet both on the floor and then pulling my upper body up.

Today, I got up, put one foot flat on the floor and then---lengthened so that I was standing. That alone felt so wonderful. The center here had a special--5 classes for the price of 3 and one half. I did buy five classes---perhaps one a week will make a difference for me. Kelly

I like Bikram Yoga. It is very hot and that simply warms up the muscles to relax them. I have been told that "I am yoga" because I have a lot of flexability, in fact, too much and this is one of the reasons I seem to hurt myself. My PT told me not to do it too much, but I enjoy the stretching so much I ignored that advice. Since I have been doing it on and off for years, I just do my exercises outside of a class.
I now use the poses to stretch after hiking or biking.
I am trying out pilates and gyrotonics in the near future. I am still having some knee issues despite all my activity and I hope these new exercises can help out with the quad ****.
Enjoy the yoga. It has been around thousands of years so there must be something to it!!!
Sandy

Thanks Kelly for getting us to think more about Yoga. It sounds like a good way for us to get fit without pounding our new knees. For those of us who have never tried it this may lead us to new exercise love.

For me I miss my aerobics and dance. This could be just the ticket for me when I get my new knee. Have anyone tried Tai Chi?

Donna

I should maybe try some Yoga for tightness. I still can't get down and up very graceful. I will give it a lot of thought before I join a class. I am thinking about aqua fit classes for awhile. Thanks for the advice.

I am looking forward to going again if only for the heat the muscle relaxing. I need to wait a few months though......probably after Christmas. When I went back in 2009 I told the instructors (seems like I had a different one every time) that I had arthritis and they were usually very good at showing me another way to do something or to use a towel if I couldn't grab my feet in a certain way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member