Yoga and Indian Sitting?

curtbiz

Country
United States United States
Hi,

Glad I found this forum, really made me excited to get my hip replaced! So much anxiety before, but getting less and less due to all of you!

Anyway...maybe I am confused, but I know they always talk about limitations after the surgery, so I have a question about sitting "Indian style" and the yoga sitting positions? What about the squatting you normally see Asians typically do? Sorry for the cultural references, but the best was to explain it...lol

Hi, @curtbiz. Welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you've joined BoneSmart and that you are finding it helpful. You should be happy about getting a bad hip replaced. It will mean the beginning of your new life.

These days not everyone has limitations after their hip replacement. This was the norm many years ago because surgeons used the posterior approach and there was a risk of dislocation if a person resumed normal movements too soon. But today surgical techniques have greatly improved and fewer surgeons are actually establishing limitations. Even if you are advised to limit certain movements after surgery, it will only be temporary.....say for 6 weeks or so.

That said, whether or not you will be able to sit "Indian style" or do a full squat or accomplish all yoga positions is not something anyone can predict. It's an individual thing. But we have had many members who have gone back to these activities afterwards. So, I would say if it was something you could do before your hip went bad, there is a good chance you'll be back to that activity in the year or so after your hip is replaced.

I was fairly flexible before my surgeries, and I continue even now to be able to move without much restriction. I can sit with legs crossed on the floor, although I struggle more to get up, so I don't choose the floor if I can avoid it. What limitations I do have are my own fault because I spend too much time sitting. If winter ever finally finishes for real, I will get back to a lot more movement outdoors.

Lots of our members do yoga...just ease back in gradually.
Squatting to sit....just the thought of it makes me ache. But if you could do that up till now, you may be able to resume it when you are fully healed. That's one to discuss with your surgeon.

You may have some restrictions imposed by your surgeon in the first six weeks or so...as Jamie pointed out, this varies considerably. But in the first six weeks you're well-advised to take it easy and go slow anyway, so the restrictions aren't really much bother.

I asked my surgeon about sitting “Indian style” last week and he said if I was able to do it before, I should be able to do it after I have recovered and done PT to regain my flexibility and strength...at about 3 months or so? ( I’m having posterior)

Hello and Happy Sunday :wave:
Wishing you all the best tomorrow.
You're going to love the results of your THR.
Will look forward to following your healing journey on the Recovery side.
@curtbiz

Best wishes for tomorrow and an easy recovery. Soon, no more pain and on your way to regaining your life.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks