THR Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)

Nice update, @CricketHip! You seem to be doing well as you re-enter the working world but are trying to hold back the floodgates somewhat in terms of your schedule. I am sure that it is really, really hard to control your workload--sounds like you're pretty darn popular if you're having to push appointments out to November, surely a testament to your skill and professionalism. I, too, had an anterior approach and my gait, even though I'm walking without pain these days, is distinctly off--it just feels "weird" and when I described it to my therapist today, he said he understood and would work with me on my gait to help me feel more normal, as if hips, thighs and knees are all moving more smoothly together. This issue is not uncommon with hip replacement, he noted, and he'd heard the concern from other patients. So, if you're ready for it, I think a PT consultation might be of real benefit for you. Happy Thursday!

An update to my recent update. I have an appointment for next Tuesday with the recommended PT in my insurance plan. It's an evaluation and I will be most interested in what is going on with my wonky walk. It's not an obvious limp but something isn't pulling it's weight, that's for sure! I figure it's a good way to celebrate my 12th week next week!
I had a cancellation at work so took a walk outside, which helps my posture - that's my biggest concern- the leaning over a table for a large part of a session. I still live by the Bonesmart philosophy of not pushing myself and walking as much as I can without resulting in soreness.. it's beginning to pay off. I average around 7-8,000 steps daily, would probably do more if I wasn't working, too.
@Barbaraj - well don't be too impressed with my schedule. I am barely scheduled into November.. it sounds more impressive than it is!
One other fun tidbit.. about ten days ago we bought a older, classic sports car. In fantastic condition. I was wondering if I could even get in and out of it, but no problem! I do make sure to sit my butt in first and swing both legs in together and then do the opposite to get out. Both legs first then use both legs together to stand up out of the seat. It makes all the difference in the world. It's a manual 4 speed and driving it wasn't an issue either.
It's about time we began having some fun again! :driver:

Hi Carol, hurrah! Another hippie with a sports car... I get in and out the same way as you do. The only post op issue for me is finding a parking space big enough to open the door fully to get out without having to twist. Increasingly difficult in our uni carpark! We have had quite a good summer in the South of England so plenty of top down opportunities, :)

I do make sure to sit my butt in first and swing both legs in together and then do the opposite to get out. Both legs first then use both legs together to stand up out of the seat.
I’ve been doing these moves since May and I have the feeling that by now it’s an ingrained habit and I’ll be doing this forever. :loll:

@CricketHip Good luck with your PT consult Tuesday.. Prime time for it now, isn't it? I share your posture concerns.. For too long I have a habit of leaning over a table.. And leaning over to rise etc.. I tried to rise from the toilet without leaning forwrd.. It is harder than it looks!
My mother was right.. Stand and sit up straight.

:wowspring:12 weeks!!! Great to read your updates @CricketHip Sounds like your patience is paying off with steady progress. Hope you get your gait concerns ironed out. I have to constantly remind myself to stand straight. I developed a forward lean habit that is pesky to eliminate. Good luck with PT.

Nice to read that you are doing fun things and know the gait thing will improve with help from the PT. Nice and easy gets you there.

No truer words, @mikeycat !! Nice and easy is the plan.. it's helped me so far so won't abandon that philosophy
anytime soon! I'm so sorry about your hand worries. Enough is enough!
Let's have a good weekend with no worries, if possible.. at least that's my plan on this Friday morning. Im in the studio until about 2 pm and then the weekend will begin.
We are having friends over Sunday night, they love my Ohio based Skyline chili dinner with spaghetti, hot dogs and grated cheese.. a simple meal but fun.

I still catch myself lifting my left leg getting into the car. I think swiveling and coming out of the car with both feet is not only easier to do but also better on the body. I'm working on not standing with most of my weight on my right leg or leaning into a counter or table. Bad habits are hard to break, however for our body's wellness needs to be done. I'm with you working on these issues.

I agree with @Cecropia, that Sunday night meal sounds delicious. Fun and simple meals with friends are the best, @CricketHip, and I am sure you'll have a good time with your friends. Have a good Saturday, too, and I hope you spend it doing whatever sounds fun to you. I'm off to the gym shortly and then Costco, not exactly a thrilling day planned but it's raining and horrible here so good to get out and about anyway. Cheers!

Thanks @Barbaraj :yes:
I know you love the gym so you will be happy there!! Did you ever decide what option you were taking on the elliptical? More intensity or more time?
Back to the company on Sunday.. it's fun knowing I can plan things again and tolerate standing in the kitchen for longer period of times.. my recovery is stepping up it's progress quickly now, it seems.. I'm trying not to blow it!

Happy Saturday to you!
Sometimes I lose sight of the fact that in you're in recovery as you're here dispensing helpful advice daily.
It's good to read you're doing well. Hopefully the weather in your neck of the woods is pleasant today. We're looking good here...so far. Enjoy your time with friends tomorrow evening...sounds like fun!
@CricketHip

@CricketHip Cincinnati/ Skyline chili, my heart be still! My brother sends me packets and cans of It for Christmas, unfortunately hubs isn't really a fan so haven't made any.
:sad:

Congrats on the sports car! :driver:

@Elf1 Skyline is an acquired taste for some, but you should make some for yourself, I haven’t had any for a while, so am looking forward to it. Plus the friends who are coming over are like family, don’t have to have things perfectly done, but hoping to make is nice for all of us. And we’re excited about the car. :driver:
@Layla thank you, friend. :loveshwr: This recovery stuttered with its beginning but then things began to come together. The weather has been very nice, mostly cloudy and pleasant with windows open throughout the house. I’m resting for a bit, though. I’ve been on my feet all day!!

I still have that stubborn tightness and discomfort along my Iliotibial Band, full length of it. My Tensor Fasciae Latae still hasn't forgiven me, either. (sounds like something you'd get from Starbucks!) But is to be expected since I had the anterior approach and it was majorly inflamed and tensed before the replacement surgery.

Yes, probably the sorest parts of my leg.:oyvey: Like you, both IT band and TFL were sore before surgery, probably because they were both trying to support my very sad hip joint which had no capacity to internally rotate. I do massage them (TP work on TFL) which seems to help and I know, in the long run, that will have been a good thing. Security cameras on the lookout for bad gait. LOL What a great idea to be able to get a reality check on how you're actually moving through your day. :walking:Wish I had one. Pictures never lie.

Glad you're back to work. That must feel incredibly good. I've probably got another 1-1/2 weeks. I might be able to go in sooner, but not until I can drive. I'm doing some "pretend" driving exercises. Like sitting and moving my right leg up and down, back and forth onto my pretend gas pedal and brake. Not too comfortable yet, those quads and hip flexors are still a tad angry. But getting better and better each day.
Wishing you all the best...have a great weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CricketHip My ITB has calmed down a lot since the THR. . It protested a lot during the first three weeks.
Must be it is now finding a relaxed state as the stellar joints are aligned properly.

What is skyline chili? I am up to risotto! You who make that know it involves standing in front of the stove for half an hour! But mushroom risotto is delish.

My flexors are not happy with my new powerful gait in the evening.. They are used to itty bitty stretches.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CricketHip Skyline Chili I used to eat every Friday lol !
we do have some great foods here not sure if you have tried Graeters ice cream ? it is delicious and expensive!
Happy to read your recovery is going well enjoy your weekend

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom