• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Yippee, I went forward too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawnie

graduate
You were all right, I have gone forwards today.:thmb::whis:
I have to admit that I didnt believe you all when you said I would go forward by the end of the week, but I should have known better than to doubt my BoneSmarties, I started going backwards, managed 5 minutes, then just went forward for a further 3 minutes. :bow:
How long should I be doing it for? I dont want to stop, but I'm still frightened that I do too much and make my knee swell too much. I iced for 1/2 hr afterwards. Any suggestions on how long would be appreciated. XXX

stives

graduate
Great news Dawnie! We knew you could do it, and soon! Now there'll be no stopping your progress. :thmb:

Don't overdo it though. I would suggest you just use the exercise bike until you feel you've done enough - your body will let you know when that is. Maybe just for a minute at a time initially, but you could do it more than once a day. Gradually it will get easier, and the swelling after each session will get less, and you can do it for longer.

Best of luck. Keep shouting!

JudyS

alpha
Country
United States United States
Dawnie I have not had experience with this, but great job. I'm so happy for you, i know that is a great milestone.
judy

Janey

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Dawnie. Im newish to Bonesmart and v plsd to hear re yr backwards/forwards success on bike, espesh after reading yr other thread re ups and downs. UR very brave having 2 done at once...Ive just had a partial and thats sore enough!! Any tips re how to ease leg rd, fast or v slow????
Good luck...keep going round and round.

Janey

Pat29627

post-grad
Country
WTG Dawnie!!!

Now you've done it, it will get easier and easier, then you can lower the seat and make it more difficult. :hehe: Don't do a long time, just a few minutes and slowly. Later ride for 20 to 30 minutes and build up speed as months go by. Happy Riding!

OP
OP
Dawnie

Dawnie

graduate
Thank you all for the support and advice.
Janey, I just kept rocking until I felt it pulling, then held it for 5-10 secs, it has taken me 3-4 weeks to go over backwards and another 6 days to go forwards, I honestly did not believe I would ever do it. Just take it easy, dont do it when it is very, very painful, just stretch the muscles slowly. (Listen to me, giving advice :wink:) LOL.
The recovery has been so much slower than I anticipated, and at times has had me almost suicidal, but the depression seems to have passed, :thmb:, It may be down to the fact that I now take very few pain killers, if I am sore thru the day I will take 2 x paracetamol but that is not very often now, I still take 2 x para with 2 x tramadol at bedtime to try and ensure a good nights sleep, which I have to add, is generally successful.
Good luck with your recovery Janey and if you have any questions our Momma Hen Josephine is a true treasure. XX

Texas

alpha
Yeah!!!!!!!! Im happy for you.......Next yr will be a great year for you i can see it..............)

Janey

Country
Hi again Dawnie. Thanks for tips. Am taking max dose of tramadol too at mo 2x 50mg 4x per day and have been for 2 yrs. Did you hv any probs decreasing dose? Not ready yet but did miss a day prior to op when I ran out of pills and was very twitchy...it wasnt just pain, incr heart rate, sweaty and agitated??

Janey

OP
OP
Dawnie

Dawnie

graduate
Janey, I was taking 10 x 50g a day for 7 weeks, then stopped almost overnight, but after 2 years you may have problems stopping them, I would think you would need to decrease very slowly over a long period but Jo will give you better advice, she will be on soon. Although I think she's a bit under the weather. GET BETTER SOON JO. XXX

Janey

Country
Thanks...theres no rush...I think I'll be on them for a wee whiley yet!!

Janey

abunnybabe

graduate
Country
WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO Dawnie Girl!!!! I'll bet you were screaming and just grinning from ear to ear. Keep up the good work and you'll be biking across Europe next Spring!

cindy88fan

supremo
Country
Dawnie...Great job! I told you that you would better be going forwards by the end of the week! I scared you didn't I?:shk: When I first started riding the bike at PT he had me go for 10 minutes each day. If that's too much then back it down a bit but I think you are a strong lady and 10 minutes to start with will be fine. Good Luck...I am so proud of you!!!!

mtngal67

Oh my gosh!!! I'm so super excited for you! Isn't that the BEST feeling ever?! (well as far as the whole new knee business goes anyway!) Just gives you that "maybe I -am- going to be 'all better' someday" mood boost! Congrats!!

Gale
RTKR 10-5-09

Judles

alpha
Country
Verrrrrrrry Cool!!!! Dawnie,,,,, Come Bike to Long Island!!!! You"d LOVE it here!!!!! )Ou sound GRRRRRREAT, Girl!!!! (:)0)

OP
OP
Dawnie

Dawnie

graduate
Thank you all, you were all soooooo right.
Can I make Long Island in 10 minutes???????? Sounds great, lol.
You all better have the ice ready when I come a knockin on doors lol. :hehe:

Texas

alpha
Hey Dawnie you still sound cheery what big difference keep it up , Im so happy for you....you deserve it......from across the pond............)..........

OP
OP
Dawnie

Dawnie

graduate
Thanks Kim, I seem to have gotten over the depression (thankfully).I managed a full 10 minutes on the bike this morning, done just over a mile. :blush:.
And my knees do not feel too bad, I iced for 1/2 hour afterwards, but I am chuffed that I could do 10 minutes, hopefully starting on the real road to recovery now.
Have a great day everyone. XX

Judles

alpha
Country
Hey Dawnie, So proud of you, sweetie! You're at the"Luh" part of Long Island! You keep going, girl! It's all uphill from here! OK! In bike terms...hope it's all downhill, easy coasting! You know what I mean!!! LOL!!! (:)0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom