Yikes! Only three more weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Organize post op clothing. I made sure to have plenty of elastic stretchy but loose legged pants and easy to slip on cotton tops, so I was dressed for the day with just two items, plus underwear. I couldn't concentrate enough to read so I watched mindless tv...if that woks for you. I bought two pairs of easy to slip on shoes, sketchers slip on runners and go walks with memory foam so I could start running get off with pristine unworn out shoes. If you don't have any, go shopping if you're able. It helps to pass the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in the Willamette Valley, we were directed to use special soap on a scrubby sponge 3 nights before surgery and, yes, we were directed to change the sheets every night for 3 nights before surgery. Perhaps there is a hospital reg. about that, or perhaps the orthopedic center has that rule? I don't know. There may be some indication that it helps prevent infection? I just did it as directed. I didn't take another shower the morning of surgery since I reported to the surgicenter at 5:30 am.

I think your surgeon was being over-cautious, @BBCG. Clean sheets for 3 nights is unusual.

I wasn't told to wash sheets before surgery, but didn't want to deal with them afterwards, so washed them the night before so I could come home to a clean bed. I don't think I would've washed them 3 nights in a row unless something spilled on them!

Love Josephine's comment about the party in bed!

I probably would have washed my sheets before going to the hospital regardless, just because it was nice to come home to fresh sheets if nothing else. :) Unless you have a personal maid doing your laundry:heehee:, 3 days of clean sheets is excessive.

Has anyone had a positive result (carrier status) for Staph on their nasal swab test? I just found out his morning that I have to use a nasal ointment and special soap for five days prior to surgery. @Josephine Is this common?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to use nasal ointment, but they have everyone use it. Didn't have any testing for nasal. I think I only used the soap for 3 nights.

Yes, they called me and said I had a positive result, and I had to do the nasal swab for five days. But I never heard anything more about it other than filling the prescription and doing it. No second check of any sort. And I was also advised on this website not to worry, that it was pretty common.

I was even told to not let my cats on the bed with me the night before surgery. I came on here and asked and was told pets were no problem. My babies comfort me and I comfort them and I needed them the night before the big day!

You don't know how it lifts our hearts to read a post like that! Thank you so much

This thread should now be titled "Yikes, only five more days!" I really need to focus on positive thoughts and low anxiety activities. I have the Huddleston book Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster and the accompanying relaxation CD. I think now is the time to dust those off!!! Hopefully at this time next week I will be on the other side. :yes:

Is anyone else having trouble with the Bonesmart forum today, i.e., slow loading, changing appearance, etc.?

Nope, it has been OK for me today.

The site would not allow me on this morning. Said my password was no good. So I tried to have my password sent so I could update it and it didn't seem to work at all, but then I tried logging on with the new password and it worked???? So, you're not the only one. Things are a little buggy.

There have been some occasional problems with the site that are being looked into. Hopefully it will not cause you further problems.

I know telling you to relax won't help but many find that when the day finally come they become very at ease and ready for surgery. You won't be alone with all of us right along with you.

@newlybionic Thanks so much. You guys do not know how much you have helped me already both directly and indirectly (reading posts and articles). I know all of you will be with me and I will carry that into surgery on Tuesday. I am so glad that I found Bonesmart. :loveshwr:
@FlaGranny You will be in my thoughts and prayers on Monday. I'll be right behind you on Tuesday.:prayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562