Yesterday My Friend Had a THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cfourhorses

graduate
Country
United States United States
Yesterday my friend had her LTHR. She called me this AM to tell me how she feels. Of course she is on pain meds. She said she feels achy where the surgery was done & heavy from the swelling and tissues cut.

She makes it to the bathroom w/ the walker. Getting in bed she said hurts. She has no clue how I will cope w/ a bi-lateral. She said her arms hurt from using the trapeze and recommends I work on strenghtening my arms in advance.

I will visit her tomorrow. She used the OS I was going to use, but I canceled him when I found the OS to do the bi-lateral.

She said she is a little feverish today and could go home tomorrow but they have given her the option to stay until Sunday.

She does not feel pain from walking on the THR.
She said it is nothing to fear, (and she was FEARING the night before, her Face Book entries proved that!!).

Her glute muscle was cut....my OS said mine will not be cut...I would think not having it cut would be favorable?:pzld:

Cfourhorses

I'm glad you're not letting your friends comments get to you. It is never twice as bad to have both joints done. You're going to be fine, Cfour.

I didn't even know you could have bilats when I had my left hip done and wondered how people managed as I relied on my right side so much in those first few weeks. When I had this operation I was mindful of it and thought it probably wouldn't be too bad. The hardest part would be getting in and out of bed but that gets easier each time you do it.

So I'm clueless - what in the world is the trapeze?? I'm pretty sure I would remember something like that if I'd used it! :hehe:

Karen, that is the triangular shaped handle that is suspended above a person's bed when you are in the hospital. It serves as a brace to help you pull yourself to a sitting position, reposition yourself in the bed, or move your body so that you can swing your legs over the edge and stand up.

I have not heard of a lot of hospitals and doctors using them these days, but they do provide an additional means of support.

Oh ya those things! I think I've only seen them on tv.....come to think of it though, it probably would be handy when trying to get out bed.....although my pt lady wouldn't have let me use it anyway. I'd start pressing the button to make my bed change formation, and she'd say: "Does your bed at home do that when you want to get up? Then you can't do it here. " :hehe:

Here in the UK we call them monkey poles!

It's that triangular thing hanging over the patient's head!
at1_gstatic_com_images_0db23da094c6a1247c2a9bb5c807008c._.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member