TKR Year On and Possible Loose Prosthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Homeport

I'm glad you got an opinion about your knee sorted. He sounds so much nicer and far more sensible than the previous one. I am as pleased as punch that you don't need an MUA, that's great news xx massage is wonderful on a stiff knee. I'm so glad that it helped you.

Love from Nana moon 27 x x x
Thank you Nana I am pleased I felt bit despondent last week ok it's slow but will get there hugsx

20/01/2015

Celle I saw you post on another discussion about bone on bone taking longer to recover I was bone on bone and also they said something about side too on top half why is it longer to recover please

20/01/2015

Hi @Homeport where was this discussion? Most interested and I. glad you asked that question X looking forward to reading the response x

@Nana moon 27 Perhaps a silly question but what is an MUA? Looked it up on the internet and got Make Up Academy and other irrelevancies!!

So today had to go to doctors for blood tests because of weight loss just to make sure the doctor said
Hubby picks me up and drops me choice was walking home get taxi or take car so I thought nice weather walk bloods done the part back to town was fine then slight incline along main road but shops to distract my knees mumblings stopped at bakers for Belgium bun for me and hubby and then started the down hill part now if anyone knows or looks up gold hill Shaftesbury or hovis hill this is its twin seriously steep and I have to go down it to home had sticks knee went into silent shock and I went down it like snail
Lol now in doors swollen ankles and knee screaming at me so I am not doing that again too soon

20/01/2015

The thing is @Homeport at least you've tried. Sometimes we have to push a bit just to see how far we can go. I've done it myself so many times. Oh but I do feel for you with swollen knees. That's a rotten reward for trying. However, you've got the satisfaction of knowing you went for a successful walk part (minus the hill) and yummy a Belgian bun. I hope you're enjoying it with a nice cup of tea whilst elevating and icing x x

I'm doing a bit more because of being on steroids. My knees love them. I think it's because the inflammation must go right down inside. That tells me that the revision is probably still healing inside a little still.

Hope you get comfortable really soon

Love Ann x x x

Thank you Anne yes on top of that was the leg hour at physio now resting tomorrow I have another physio appointment I am cancelling she was a bit tough and I just can't face her
Weekend we are going to Brussels for communion of granddaughter hubby is driving and we are taking a granddaughter of 12 with us she is a sweetheart and they don't have much so we treat her as much as we can will stop a lot on way for stretching

20/01/2015

I love the food in Belgium---I hope you had some good lunches!! The bread was fabulous. i loved all those nice little towns with outdoor restaurants everywhere. What a nice country.

I would not tolerate a tough PT for five minutes. She is working for you and needs to take direction from you. If she cannot be made to hear--they get a different pt. Believe me the owner of the facility will want to please you and not loose the business.

Celle I saw you post on another discussion about bone on bone taking longer to recover I was bone on bone and also they said something about side too on top half why is it longer to recover please
@Homeport I don't think I said that. Can you quote it for me, because I think you might have misinterpreted something. Most of us are bone-on-bone by the time we have our joint replacements.

I know that my first knee replacement took longer to recover from, but that's because I left it too long and by the time I had surgery I had lost a lot of muscle strength and some of my tendons and ligaments had got distorted.
I'm afraid I don't understand the second part of your question.

Please don't let that PT do rough things to your knee. Think about the soft tissues, she's going to undo all the good you've done so far x (((hugs)))

@Celle maybe it was me misreading with my addled mind at moment I thought it strange too as you say by time op is done we are bone on bone thanks Celle x

@Josephine I totally agree with your mantra she is not touching my knee the hospital physio I saw last week for an assessment just gave it a nice gentle massage and did wonders for movement and this physio from local hospital seems to think force is way forward great let her do that to her own knee but not mine
You have done brilliantly without I will too
How is your return to work going?

20/01/2015

18 week post

Return to work has been tough although we are now at end of half term so I have had week of a sort of rest we are packing up to move although husband is great and does most
The school is split over a number of buildings and one of them the old music hall is a walk out of the school up incline down very steep stone steps then uneven paths to a partly renovated building down stairs is ok but to use upper part of building the stakes are narrow the hand rail is not attached in places and the carpet upstairs uneven
I was sent over there twice in one morning with just a 20 minute gap to get room ready again for an exam
I was in so much pain by the end of second exam I was in tears and emailed the examinations officer pointing out the health and safety issues for children and staff and said I did not want to work in that building
The rail is still hanging despite maintenance being informed by me too
I ice lunch times and raise leg and in hall walk with no sticks because of the noise to students I find it a great place to practice my slow steady gait between rows of chairs and I can also sit if need be so apart from the one building I am enjoying return to work and the extra money is welcome too also up and down the stairs at school is all helping knee adjust to normality

In terms of where I am I don't know about MUA yet only when I return for next appointment to hospital in June. I am not going to push that appointment forward I have every confidence in my ability to get there it is not a race and I might be slower then some on the forum but I see improvement all the time
I am sitting in bed knees raised towards me and never thought about it. I walk normally up and down stairs and without limp unless tired, but if out and about I still take my sticks with me to remind people to be careful and to help gait.
I have my static bike on lowest seat setting now still doing ten minutes most days, have managed to keep the 17 kilos I lost off and am in a healthy mi setting so there is the bonus plus new clothes
My leg is almost straight my husband massages it morning and night and applies pressure to it once after to help and the bend well I can do most things but it is stubborn about how far it will go and I will work on that any suggestions appreciated.
PT is over and hydrotheraphy too so it's all down to me now.
I still find I need a pain tablet in the morning and two at night but I guess in time that too will go, I have cut back but I still have the up operated knee pain to deal with too.
I am following this forum still I feel you are all part of my recovery process and thank you x

20/01/2015

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the app for measuring ROM and if it's right it appears to be 125 which is going in the right direction at last leg is not totally straight but pretty close to it and I am walking good without sticks no limp
In bed I can sleep most ways again and that has to be one of the best things lol

At next hospital appointment I will ask what timescale for second knee being done after looking at X-ray surgeon thought it looked pretty tidy and I should have asked what he meant he added he wanted first leg well recovered before second one is done

20/01/2015

Hi @Homeport. That was a lovely update about your knee and how you're getting on back at work. Posts like this are so useful to people returning to work and might be anxious about it xx

I'm glad you got the app to measure your knee bend. Wonderful. 125 is lovely...well done xx

Anyway, there is a phrase, "Slow and steady won the race".

They do like the other knee healed before they do the other one but that can vary from each individual surgeon. When he said your other knee was tidy it may be that perhaps there's not too much loose debris, or bone spurs. I'm no expert at all, far from it. I'm merely guessing that's what he meant.

Sleep is very important, you're right. I'm glad that you are getting a decent amount.

Thanks for sharing your update.
Love Nana moon 27 xxx

So a six month update
Plus side
No arthritic pain
Unexpected weight loss of 17 kilos

Downside
Sensation of needles trying to escape my knee sometimes really sharp sometimes tingly on top and outside of knee
Stiffness and some knee pain makes walking slow
Knee gives way and as result have fell out of door and bruised the operated knee and both elbows and had it give way on stairs
Plus Unoperated knee is behaving badly with pain and giving way too
I have developed pain in both hips and was sent for spinal and hip X-rays hips are ok but have some spinal issues basically wear and tear narrowing
I have got extremely clumsy dropping cups as well and I am concerned what this is all leading to can I put this all down to knee recovering and just give it time
So I am feeling bit fed up having blood tests next week in case have anaemia or thyroid issues

20/01/2015

So sorry to hear this. I hope your doing alright. I know it can be a mess with knees. I pray that you get better. I been clumsy on mine to. Not fell but few close calls. Xxx

FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties