TKR Year On and Possible Loose Prosthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homeport

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have had knee issues since 2011 and last year had arthroscopic surgery when surgeon decided I needed TKR he also felt I was too young and longer I could wait the better. So went away, did much research and chose surgeon with good reputation at Circle Bath Hospital then in November, armed with this information and having got to end of my pain tolerance and lack of mobility, went back to my GP and asked for a referral which he was more than happy to do.

I received my appointment on November 26th where he examined me did X-rays of knee and pronounced yes a new knee was needed I got my pre op January 15 and went in for operation on 20th January.

Day zero I had an afternoon operation and went down about 5pm was given spinal block did find that a bit painful then fitted catheter and next thing I knew was in operating theatre it was over almost he was just doing last stitch I had dispersible stitches with glue
Recovery was fine they warn you about the noise of the calf pumps but it was kind of soothing.

Taken up to ward about 9pm and offered food they made me scrambled eggs on toast and tea served in proper teapot with milk jug and cup and saucer. What is it about these small things that make you feel so good? Slept well.

Day one is busy morning with getting you out of bed and moving still had catheter at this stage but used walker to door and back. Exercises made me nauseous and caused me to bring back my meal from previous evening rest of day haze of sleeping I think was results of pain relief and op drugs

Day two was far better with catheter removed and the thick dressing the attached tube and box giving me pain relief direct to knee I showered and they redressed I got chance to see the scar and was impressed how neat it was.

No appetite, nauseous, tired using ice bags and attempting the exercises in knee diary I was given before operation.

Day three after long day doing stairs and exercises was allowed to come home

Being home is great. Own bed and familiar things around me. Have a medicine sheet we did so know exactly when it is due and it works. Pain is under control. I ice before and after exercises. Not overdoing it. Knee bend is my biggest issue and you panic when you read of these windows of opportunity.

Well this is my journey so far. Long way to go.

Welcome to Bonesmart @Homeport
One of the moderators will be along very soon to give you a list of really interesting and very useful articles to read about your recovery. One of the most important it would seem is to ignore anyone telling you about 'windows of opportunity' . People on here have proved that these windows just don't exist, our ROM can improve over months and even years after the TKR.
In the meantime just rest, elevate and ice your knee.

Homeport,
Welcome to Bonesmart, :welome:, glad you found us.
Sounds like you are doing well at home, and that your surgery went well.
The Window of Opportunity is a myth, you can gain ROM a year or more after your surgery. Right now swelling is limiting your ROM, as your swelling goes down your ROM will go up. You want to be sure to let your soft tissues heal and allow the swelling to go down. Often early pushing and pulling to gain ROM only inflames soft tissue causing more swelling and further limiting your ROM.
I am going to give you the post op reading, you will need it all, the articles are short and easy to read.
You will want to read the Myth Busting articles.

Please add your surgery dates to your signature, just hover over your user name top right, a drop down menu will appear, click on Signature and add your information there. Thanks!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Keep us posted on how you are doing,

Thank you plenty of reading
I thought a short trip out in car with husband to get few groceries would be ok I was really just there for change not to do anything but still exhausted me and made me realise it is early days

20/01/2015

Homeport,
It is easy to over do in the early days and become a member of the ODIC, Over Did It Club.
Right now you mostly need to Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate as directed on schedule.

I agree I see it is easy to be frustrated but it is early days also still very up and down crying for no reason
Also not sure if meds but having vivid dreams and also suddenly jolting awake

20/01/2015

vivid dreams are often caused by codeine. If your pain med is not working, call you OS to get a different one. Nausea can be avoided by eating a little something when you take your pain meds. I am American, so you won't laugh when I tell you that I had little tubs of peanut butter and crackers by my side. I would eat two crackers with peanut butter whenever I took a pain med.

Okay then it's the codeine I am guessing yes dry crackers is great idea thank you

20/01/2015

Welcome! I'm 5 days behind you have had quite a bit of issue with nausea this first week - I am finally making myself eat a reasonable amount before each dose and have not had any problems the last two days.

I found that Tramadol made me have strange dreams, but codeine made me nauseous to start with, I was ok after a while, we can't win can we?

Welcome!Remember everyones process is different,I too tend to overdue ,im 9 weeks out,i was on that emotional roller coaster,frustrated,crying/depressed one day,then feeling pretty good the next!Hang in there:flwrysmile:

also still very up and down crying for no reason
Yes, you do have a reason - you're doing too much. In the articles left for you earlier is one about "activity progression". Please read that carefully and apply. Also remember that you haven't been discharged from hospital because you are fully recovered but TO recover. This means lots and lots of rest and no trips out to the shops until week 6 at the earliest.

Also, regarding the exercises - you might like to read the potted version of my recovery (2009) to see how little exercising I did! Knee recovery - UK style.

Also my current thread (2015) for my second replacement Josephine's knee story and amazing progress

I feel guilty, my husband teaches and got the first week off work. He is now back and we have tried to set a routine so he can get home a couple of times a day. Other than that I am alone and I spend that time doing a jigsaws, reading posts on here and sudoku. Found it hard to get back into reading at the moment.

Have felt better this last few days then this weekend have had some stabbing pains round knee and rest of the operated leg and tearful again

20/01/2015

don't forget naps :)

I am three weeks had first physio yesterday and then again next week she was not happy with my rom or how straight leg is yet I found it a bit disheartening as I have been doing exercises from my knee diary I got from hospital

20/01/2015

I am three weeks had first physio yesterday and then again next week she was not happy with my rom or how straight leg is yet I found it a bit disheartening as I have been doing exercises from my knee diary I got from hospital
Well, that's hardly surprising under the circumstances. What is your ROM? (that term includes both bend (flexion) and straightness (extension).

Thank you Josephine for replying I am following your recovery with interest

As for my ROM Well she is saying 45 when she got me to do a heel slide and I admit I find that the hardest but I can bring knee up so foot is flat on bed I told her it was like that at hospital and she said no it's worse they would not let you out with less then 75 today I got on my bike and my husband was there to keep check and I managed to pedal up and back pedal back and my husband maths teacher thinks she is wrong as I achieved around 80 on bike and earlier on foot slide he thinks close to 90
I do agree my leg is not straight yet but I am doing the one she suggested on regular basis after my pain meds along with other exercises which is heel of leg resting on rolled up towel 10 plus mins at time to stretch leg straight

20/01/2015

ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1423729020.666725.jpg
ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1423729047.721236.jpg

Please can someone look at these my scar in first image is tight then yesterday evening it seemed to come apart slightly could not sleep last night worrying and frightened to bend it too much now
I did do gentle half pedals yesterday on static bike and only few minutes at time and only twice

20/01/2015

One of the qualified people will get to you like @Josephine oooooops did I do that. It could be just elasticity returning but hey it takes me all day to tie my laces so will leave it to better people than me.

Legin THR Sep 14

Hi @Homeport, I wouldn't dream of commenting on the scar, you should wait for an expert to come along for that, but it does seem very dry, are you massaging it with any cream? You can buy really expensive Bio oil,which is meant for scar tissue, but for both my knees I've used a tub of E45, morning and night. It really helps to keep the scar/knee more supple, and my first knee, just over a year old now is just a thin white line now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie