Year old knee question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepper

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone, My PKR is 13 months old, Walks really good, some stiffness and tightness feelings after work. My main question is does everyones knee still sting bad if you catch your foot, or your leg gets jerked a little, or just hit a landing a little to hard. What the heck is hurting in there after a year?

Thanks for your time, Pepper

Hi, Pepper...it's great to hear from you and to know that your PKR is doing well.

I do think it's a common thing to get those painful twinges when your knee moves in a way that's a little out of the normal. I've had it at times...and even still do now and then after almost 3 years. You know the new joint is just the mechanical part of the knee....you still have lots of muscles, ligaments and tendons that can take a long time to strenthen and become normal again. I believe this is especially true for anyone who does not seriously target those muscles with exercises once recovery is complete....that would be all of us who aren't athletes and VERY active in sports.

What type of exercises are you doing these days?

Hi Jamie, A fast walk is about all I can get away with, I farm so I get plenty of activity. It seems if I target the area I really pay for it. Tried bowling with the grandkids over the holidays and that was not good.Maybe I should go back to the PT and get a better set of exercises. Thanks for your time...... Pepper

Jamie is right about the odd pain here and there because of soft tissue. Every once in a while, I'll complain about how my knee hurts and my daughter who happens to be a bit of a smart alec will say, but Mom, how can your knee hurt when it's not real?

If you feel the pain is a little more then soft tissue pain as Jamie describes, you might want to pay your surgeon a visit just to ease your mind that nothing is wrong with the prosthesis.

It appears that the new knee isn't going to be like a brand new natural knee, and that there will be limitations and unusual sensations that will feel different from our past experiences with the original knee.

The trade-off is that the replacement knee has given us a new lease on life and provided an opportunity for a more active and healthy life with much less pain than was possible with the old damaged knee.

That's a good exchange

Pepper...Welcome home. Good to hear from you.

I like you am just about one year. Made a trip to the OS this week for a different reason, but I took the opportunity to talk about my almost a year old knee. I am still having swelling and a good amount of discomfort. He xrayed it and the hardware was great. He poked it and said the quad and the IT band were both inflammed. He gave me a topical NSAID (I cannot take oral), prescribed more recumbant bike use.

So I am :egdnc:back to starting kind of at the beginning with biking and easy exercises and the NSAIDs. Let you know how things progress. What he said made sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom