Yeah - No Manipulation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ouch

Hi Everyone:
Well, went to the doctors today (4 week post op) and he was so terrified that the doctor would hurt him again by jerking his leg like last time. Totally different doctor today, he was gentle with him and got him to a 75. (Is that good for 4 weeks?) He said he would have liked 90 by now and expects him to be there in two weeks when he sees him ajgain. He said the leg is still very swollen, and I explained he cannot elevate when he sleeps because of his spinal surgery. But he said he could start out-patient P/T. We are so happy although I know this is where the real pain begins. Thank you all for getting us through this.

Ouch
That is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has had a time of it. 90 is where they want you at 4 wks. usually. But he will get better no doubt.

Out patient PT does not have to hurt. Just look for one of the newer therapist that does not believe in the aggressive ways.

I had one and it did not hurt and I am doing fine in my ROM.

Tell him he gets a big High Five from me and you too, because you have helped so much.

Keep up the good work and try and get the same doctor you had today.

I am truly delighted for you both, ouch. You must be really happy now you know you're on track - well, pretty much. Well done, both of you.

Ouch....great news. I know you both are very happy. Be sure he takes pain meds on schedule about an hour before any therapy....and we'll be looking forward to the next good installment of your saga. It will get better!!!

Oh, thank you all. I have really worked hard with him. My arms and back are killing me, but it was all worth it to see the relief on his face when he said he could start out patient p/t. One question though, if the therapist cannot get his rom to 90 in 2 weeks, could the doctor still suggest the manipulation? I feel the swelling is hindering him a lot too. I am using the polar ice machine now 1 hr. on and 1 hr. off during most of the day and also regular icing. The knee has to be above the heart, right?

It should be, but I thought he had a spine or hip problem.

Hr on and hr off is that not a little much? Jo can tell you on that. If he has a lot of swelling, I would think the doc would take that in consideration.

No, that's not too much to use icing. Actually it's pretty hard to overdo that as long as you have something next to the skin so it doesn't get too cold.

Ouch....it is possible that a manipulation could be suggested. But don't worry about that or dwell on it at this point. Right now you both need to concentrate on keeping swelling and pain at a minimum and working with the therapist. Be sure and do a LOT of communicating with the person about what is working, what is not, what their goals are and how they intend to reach them. The therapist is now your new best friend!

Great News, Ouch!!! Keep up the great work,team!!! :)

He can keep his leg elevated when he is in the recliner, but not in bed when lying flat.
I do keep a barrier between his skin and the polar pad. I tried the pad myself, it isn't as cold as the ice packs and I will only use it at night after his exercises, (regular ice packs during the morning exercise), but I will discuss this with the therapist when he sees him. He may want to try something different.
Thank you all for your concerns.

Ouch....you are doing such a wonderful job caring for your husband. He is truly lucky to have you there for him. Having cared for both my parents and my hubby after surgery, I KNOW what you are going through. You must have been there to really "get" it. Hon, you are a wonder!!! Be sure and take just a little time for yourself now and then. It makes a big difference!!

Ouch, Just caught up with all your posts. I must say, you two have really been through a lot. He's really doing well for all that's happened and YOU are doing tremendous. Having been there with my own hubby, I know how it can be. As Jamie says, take time for yourself, you deserve a break and a great big Thank you! I've always said the "behind the scenes support team" mainly the spouse, is the one that takes the tears, fears, hopes, panics, yelling, and hope. You are the cheering section and the solid strength that helps get us through the worst and then some. I'm so proud of you, but again, please take time to rest and do something just for you.
Blessings to you~~
Nancyo

You better practice what you preach, Nancyo!!! :)

So true. The spouse takes it hard and does so much.

I am 9 weeks in and my hubby still thinks he needs to do everything for me. He is such a wonderful person. I am so
lucky!:D

Ouch do takes some time for yourself.:thmb:

When he is taking a nap, you try to take one. Even if he's not, if he is comfortable just go lay down yourself. I know my husband was tired after taking care of me. I am glad your husband is doing well. ......Take care of yourselves......Your both are in my prayers........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I ask, what is a manipulation and why do they have to do them sometimes?
I'm facing a RTKR within a year.
My knee is 15 degrees or more valgus, very swollen, very painful at times,
other times not too bad but never great anymore.
I'm having pain after walking a few minutes now or standing to do the dishes for example and long distance driving is becoming a problem even.
I'm bone on bone and only 47 that's a drawback for me but its come to a no choice point now as far as a KR goes.
I have to wait till next summer because my husband will only have that time free to be here for me then.
So I'm looking into everything on it now and came across people talking about manipulations, I've never heard of that before so if you could fill me in on what it is and when its necessary I'd appreciate it, thank you :)

Wrappergirl, I put your other post like this one into its own thread. You can check out responses there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • eaglemom
    Staff member since May 24, 2021
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads