• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Yeah! Greetings from the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.

byroni10

Well here I am 4 days post surgery and felling pretty good all things considered. I woke up after the surgery in the recovery room and was amazingly clearf headed and pain free. The pain free part was of course due to the epidural, but it was great and took quite a while to wear off. The clear headed part was due to the fact that I had sedation during surgery but no anesthesia--what a difference. Everyone that I spoke to that day and the next said that I sounded so good and so normal.

My biggest concern had been pain management, but that has also been going very well. I was on the pain pump for the first 2 day, but now it's just percoset as needed. Fortunately I'm tolerating the medication pretty well with minimum side effects--much to my relief.
It was great to be able to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom with a walker. Even got to wash my hair at the sink. Overall It has been less of an ordeal than I had anticipated.

The big question now is where I'll be going for rehab. My health plan only pays for certain types of facilities (sub acute) and wouldn't even authorize a stay until they evaluated my progress in the hospital over the weekend Then it also depends an the availability of beds. Going home without rehab is really not an option for me as I live alone nd also have to do stairs to get in and out of my apt.--something we haven't practiced yet. But hopefully I'll know more soon

I just wanted to check in, report on my progress and give some encouragementto those who are still pre-op. Now that I'm on the other side I'm feeling so much less anxious and calmer. So hang in there all you pre-ops. Yo uwill soon be emailing use fromthe othe side..

Roni

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hey, Roni! Good to hear you've had a trouble free progression to recovery! If it had gone any smoother, you'd be coming home already! :snk:

You take it easy and you will be home in no time! :thmb:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hey Roni - welcome to the other side. Please let us know what they decide about rehab.

Happy Healing!

Motherofmany

graduate
Hello Roni,

Welcome to the other side. You are doing great! I enjoyed the epidural also with no general anestethia. I also opted for no pain pump this last time and was very clear headed like you. Was able to control pain with by mouth meds without the side effects.

You will definitely need help the first few weeks no matter how well you are doing, so keep that in mind when selecting rehab. Hope the one you choose is available. I've a friend in her 80s who just had her second knee done after less than 2 months from first. She lives alone and went to rehab facility for about a month. She just came home and is starting inhome therapy as transportation is an issue for her. She called me to check in and I was able to give her some advice on issues she is dealing with. Even recommended her to bonesmart for all the great information and encouragement.

Follow doctors orders and keep your pain meds going even if you feel better. It will help with pain and swelling and help healing and ROM. Glad you are doing so well and more relaxed now. This is a big surgery and will take time to heal, thankful you can do so painfree.

Blessings,

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
Welcome to recovery, Roni!! I'm so happy things are going well for you. Here's hoping it continues. I'll be looking forward to hearing more from you as you progress.

cjsmom02

:th_jumpy: :th_jumpy: :th_jumpy:

Congrats on making it through so far and for doing so well. Keep up the good work!

:th_jumpy: :th_jumpy: :th_jumpy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
arroyo65
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom