Yea!! On Recovery Side and Doing Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope your doing well this morning and your PT agreeing with you. Seems like it is a daily adjustment isn't it until someday we just don't have to think about it. Goodluck and I've been thinking about you.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010

Thanks Sandy and Donna. It certainly is a daily adjustment!

The pain still comes and goes, but sleep is getting a bit better which is a real relief! I am definitely considering the massage idea as this has been mentioned to me by a number of different people. I'm going to ask my physio about it on Tuesday.

Thanks for the info. Hope you are both doing really well. Have a great weekend. Maggie

I think the massage therapy sounds more and more interesting. It certainly relaxes tense muscles and stimulates blood flow. Let us know if you try it and how it works.

In the meantime I hope you continue to improve and are doing well.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010

Hi:

The combination of PT for strength, chiropractor for skeletal balance and massage therapy for muscle memory has just about finished my rehabilitation from knee surgery. Because of this combination, I have no pain in either my knee or lower back and my ROM is 0-125.

I urge you all to take the last step and try massage therapy to help your muscles "reprogram" and therefore, remember how to react to your new gait and stature. Before beginning, I was skeptical but after 2 sessions (30 minutes each) my back muscles began making
necessary change. I'm guessing in another month, I'll be on a maintenance schedule rather than a therapeutic one.

Give it a try! You won't regret it!

Thanks, Jon. A number of people have recommended massage therapy to me. Sounds as if you are doing amazingly well. I'm so happy for you. How much are you allowed to do with your horses now?

What did the chiropractor do for you? What type of treatment exactly if you don't mind my asking?

I am already looking forward to Spring, as the cold and snow here makes it difficult and risky to get out at times. I'm glad my next TKR will be in the summer months.

Keep in touch and again I'm so happy that you are able to pick up your life so well and carry on! Maggie

That's just great, Jon! You have certainly had a stellar recovery. It's so gratifying to see you back doing what you love with no pain. Way to go!!!

Hi Maggie:

The chiropractor leveled my pelvis to match my new gait and leg length. It took about 3 weeks. Manipulation was the only treatment.

Spring is good! It's been a exceptionally cold and snowy winter here in Kentucky, which has restricted outdoor activity considerably. I've ridden a couple of times, but both my horses and I are used to riding and training daily. The end result is fat, bored horses.

Much to my surprise, my surgeon released me to ride at 6 weeks. I have another checkup on 1/20. I don't know if they will take pictures or not! If so, I'll post them.

Good luck & remember, recovery is an individual process, which means it's important not to make comparison to others, but instead to make progress at your own pace.

Thanks, Jon. Didn't realize you are having so much snow and cold weather there. You and your horses must be anticipating Spring even more than I am - lol.

What does your day look like now, as far as activities are concerned? I am still finding doing heavier housework like vacuuming takes me several tries and I pay for it for a couple of days with extra pain and swelling.

Nights continue to be a bummer for me. I like to lie on my sides, but my knee seems to freeze up and get very painful by morning. Otherwise I think I'm doing okay - lots of muscle aches and pains though. Your suggestion for massage is my next step I think.

My extension is okay, but still not too great. I have tried your suggestion re watching my gait and my daughter laughed at me and said I looked like I was marching in the army - lol. Guess I don't have it quite right yet!!

Anyway, excuse all the complaining, please. Actually when I look back at where we were and how far I've come, it is pretty amazing! I just want to feel really good about this knee before my next TKR in June.

Hope your cold weather abates soon so that you can really enjoy those beautiful animals of yours. Take care and have a beautiful day. Maggie

Hi Maggie I had my surgery the month before you and I also have many of the issues you have. Nights are not my friend either most of the time. I sleep with a pillow between my legs and sometimes it helps and sometimes not. I also am very stiff in the morning until I get to moving. I also still have swelling like you. This has really been alot more than I had expected. It is indeed a journey. I feel like a turtle in this race even though I know it is not a race. Just really will be glad when this knee is not the focus of my life. Whew...... I feel better just to vent to someone else who REALLY understands. Thank you !!!!:bow:. I hope things get better for you very soon.

Hi, Judy. I know exactly what you mean. Some nights I don't even want to go to bed!!

My knee was doing really well until about 2 weeks ago. That is when muscles and tendons and who knows what else decided to complain bitterly. I just want this knee to be happy before I undertake the second TKR in June. Do you need to have your other knee replaced?

Let's hope for a great night's sleep tonight! Maggie

Sorry you are having a tough time at night. What you are experiencing is pretty common among BoneSmarties. After walking, and moving and exercising the tissues around our new knees are just plain MAD! And want us to know they are mad. I found that if I could limit my night time motion, I did a lot better. I started sleeping in my recliner. It kept me from moving and it was easier to keep the ice pack in place all night.

Also of note, several people have found that magnesium helps them sleep better. I have not tried this however.

Hang in there, it really does get better. It is not a fast recovery for sure. But each day gets a little better. When you hit about 4-6 weeks you almost feel like you might be part of civilization again.

I refused to do the stomach injections. And guess what the option was... 1 full strength aspirin daily for 30 days. So much better than giving myself stomach injections.

That's a nice option! I guess it pays to ask always.

Maggie,

I hope you are feeling better! It is no fun to hurt and wonder how much you can do without hurting! :th_console:

Yes Maggie I do have to do the other knee as well.:th_sigh:. I am going to wait until this one feels alot better than it does now. At least we only have 2 knees thank goodness!!!! And yes a good peaceful nite tonite would be wonderful.

I really understand the sentiments about not being able to sleep. Between the night sweats and the aching knee I get frustrated too. I seem to sleep better if I am sure to stay on an every four hour pain schedule. Ice helps too. Seems I'm Tierd all the times and struggling to get my flexion everyday is sometimes overwhelming.

The thing I keep thinking about is that we have got to rebuild our muscles, stamina, strength and range of motion. It gets hard sometimes but coming here reading where many of us have the same frustrations helps me deal with it. So many times I have said to Ray that I'm not the only one and not alone. Think goodness for Bonesmart and our nurturing group.

I hope you get some relief soon Maggie!

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010

Well, I've had to cancel physio today because I think I may have an ear infection. I began having bouts of vertigo this week and now some pain in my right ear. A couple of times I have come very close to falling due to the sudden vertigo - scary!! Anyway, I'm seeing my GP this afternoon so hopefully if it's an infection we can nip it in the bud.

Oh Maggie - I hope not! That's a horrid thing to have.

Ugh!!! I've had inner ear infections and the accompanying vertigo. It's the pits. Hope you can nip it in the bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom