THR Yay, we're done!

momofthreee

Country
United States United States
Well folks, my daughter (age 18) has her new ceramic on ceramic hip! Everything went well and I'm feeling relieved. Now just praying for a speedy recovery, no infection ever, no squeaking ever, and 30+ years from the implant! Is that too much to ask?

Anyway, just sitting here in the hospital waiting for my husband to pick us up and wanted to let you all know! :)

Oh, that’s such good news! I don’t think any of those things are too much to ask. Sending you and your daughter blessings for comfort and a smooth recovery and healing. Keep us posted on her progress. ❤️

@momofthreee to your daughter - welcome to the other side! Please keep us updated. I'll leave our recovery guidelines here for you.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

How wonderful that she is on her way home. Sending positive vibes for her recovery and 30+years of new hip letting her live her life without pain. Don't forget to get her to elevate and ice often and for long periods. I iced almost non stop when sitting, reclining or laying down. It really does help with pain and swelling.

Wonderful news! So happy for you all. Please stop by and update as time allows. We’d love to follow your daughters progress.
Wishing her perfect healing and all the best going forward.
@momofthreee

If anyone sees a terrified, stressed out parent (like I was!) show up because their teen needs THR, please tag me so I can offer support from that unique perspective. The teen stories on here helped me sleep at night, so if I can pay that forward I'm happy to!

Momofthreee, My granddaughter went through knee replacement surgery at 16yo. The second surgery was at 17yo. The prom was coming up so the surgeon told her he made sure her scars matched, lol.

She will heal fast!! Hugs and blessings!!

If anyone sees a terrified, stressed out parent (like I was!) show up because their teen needs THR, please tag me so I can offer support from that unique perspective. The teen stories on here helped me sleep at night, so if I can pay that forward I'm happy to!

Thank you for your very kind and thoughtful offer. We will be on the lookout for any opportunity to tag you. We’re happy the information you found here made the process less stressful for you and your daughter and we wish her the 30+ yrs you’re hoping for. I believe it’s attainable and if your daughter ever needs a revision, one can only imagine the advancements that will be made over time.
Many blessings to you all!

Hi friends. Today marks two week since my daughter came home from the hospital after her THR and I don't think I would believe it if I hadn't been around to see it for myself. She has been walking unaided for about a week, and gets stronger and stronger by the day. She took a brisk walk down our street and back (unaided) three days ago. I simply cannot believe it. I teased that I needed to see her xrays before I would believe that a hip replacement had actually happened :snork:
It is so good to see her getting better and stronger at all... even more so to see it happen so quickly! I guess that's youth for you! And I'm not sure what role, if any, this may be playing, but she also takes BPC 157 under her doctor's direction (both pre-op and post-op) for an unrelated reason. But I've read that some people take it to speed healing after surgery. Again, I don't know. I'm just tickled to be where we are! I now know that if her college reconvenes in August, she'll be able to get around campus with her friends and not be confined to her dorm room due to lack of mobility! It lifts a mother's heart! :)

@momofthreee that is amazing news, so happy for both of you! :loveshwr: Not to sound like Debbie Downer but just want to remind her to use caution and not overdo it. We don't want her to end up in the Over Did It Club (ODIC). Unfortunately most of us have taken a trip there when we got to feeling a little too good for our own good. :snork:. You might want to have her review the activity progression at #5 in the recovery guidelines above. We do realize that some heal quicker then others and she sounds like she's rocking this!

@Elf1 , thanks for pointing out #5 in the guidelines. Very helpful! It looks like she may be at week 3 activity with her walks, so maybe that's reasonable at her age. But not to worry, she has not touched laundry yet! :snork:

Such wonderful news! I’m so happy you took the time to follow up. Thank you! :)
Please continue to update us on her progress as time allows. We‘d love to celebrate milestones along the way with you.
Hugs to you both! :friends:
@momofthreee

Hey @momofthreee :wave:
Wondering how your dear daughter is doing on this special day of her two month anniversary? I hope she is easing back into life and you‘re both encouraged and delighted with the progress she’s made. Please wish her a Happy Two Month Anniversary from us along with wishes for a great rest of the Summer!

Hi @Layla! My daughter is doing fantastic! You would never think she'd had surgery. She has been doing physical therapy for strengthening and muscle rebuilding. She takes walks around the neighborhood. She wants to jog but the physical therapist asked her to hold off on that for a bit, which is probably good! She's just feeling great and eager to get back to full throttle :)
It's just so good to see her pain free and completely mobile! It does a mom's heart good!

Thank you so much for asking!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks