Yay, Special Soap Time! 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!

Hipster64

Country
United States United States
So the countdown has begun and 5 more days to go. I am officially using my special antibacterial soap from the hospital when I shower tonight! It's now starting to seem more real. I will be hearing from the hospital on Friday as to when I can arrive on Monday.

We are trying to get as much of the little things done as possible before 7/15. I paid my August health insurance portion already (my workplace will cover their portion on my leave of absence, but I have to pay them the portion normally taken from my paycheck), my husband has already gotten his MA vehicle inspection sticker which is due this month, I got my hair done before surgery, and am paying off credit cards and bills as quickly as I can. The less that I need to do post-surgery, the better.

I have actually had a pretty good week so far in the physical sense. Over the last few days I've been mostly relying on Tylenol and 15mg Meloxicam a day and have been able to get by with one Tramadol a day. Yesterday I actually drove myself-the 5 minutes to the next town over to get my hair done and wasn't screaming in pain when I came home. I was even able to go out for a bit this afternoon with my husband...we went to Wal-Mart (I pushed the cart which helped), went out for ice cream and stopped at the Subaru dealership to schedule a 6K service for his car. And this morning I really had a breakthrough....I was able to bend over with not much pain and pick up the cigarette butts and litter that blew into my front yard, which I haven't been able to do in weeks! (We live near a main road and trash in the yard is a regular occurrence, which drives me bonkers).
These good days have been so good that I can almost delude myself into thinking I don't need surgery after all...then I remember that I am on vacation time, am still on meds, using the disability placard when I go out which alleviates my walking long distances, and have much less stress in my life at this time-the pain was excruciating while I was working. But then I start to think about how much more I will be able to do once everything is resolved...if I am getting by now, imagine what I can do later on!

You sound like you are in a very good place. Come on July 15!! yes, we know the time is looming near when the special soap comes out.:bath:

You're just a few days ahead of me, @Hipster64 I start the daily showering with that awful antibacterial cleanser beginning Friday. It is SOOO drying, and I've also got to start using this yucky nasal ointment twice daily beginning on Friday, and need to somehow fit in an EKG and a blood draw this week or very early next week. I guess it's good to be busy, less chance of freaking out! Had my pre-op today and it did make the sobering reality (hospital! hip replacement! big scar!) quite real. But I've done this before and it really and truly wasn't that bad. The pre-op nurse said that, although no firm guarantees, it's very likely a second hip replacement surgery and recovery will be very similar to the first which was a relief. Didn't "love" the first one but I got through it, with fairly minimal discomfort and a slow but steady recovery. Sounds like you're almost all ready to go--hurray for you! You are going to do great and (hope not) if you ever have to have a second hip replaced you might kinda-sorta have a more blasé approach! Okay, not really, but certainly way less scary!

Last edited:
@Hipster64 Oh, yes, the delusion! I know it well. Anytime I sit in a chair now without pain, I find myself thinking, “It doesn’t hurt that much” :). And then I do something I used to be able to do- take out the garbage- and crunch!!! - and I just shake my head again at how delusional I really am.

Hoping everything has settled down to a dull roar with your family, and that you get some fun (Fun? What’s that?!) tucked into your countdown days...

Best wishes for Monday and a smooth recovery back to a full life without limitations.

Barbaraj: I have to have the left hip done too 6-12 weeks post the right one but the surgery has not been scheduled yet. I spoke to the OS yesterday about that and they said it should be around 9/30. I should be a pro at it by then. However I have to go through all the pre-op stuff again at the hospital except for boot camp-which means another PCP clearance, OS clearance and telephone clearance with the orthopedic nurse.

Ptamigan: Yep, that delusion is a sneaky one! After getting back from my little shopping jaunt and ice cream run I had to sit down on the couch ASAP. And yes, things in the family have finally settled down. My dad was discharged last Tuesday and my sister and her family returned from Maine on Sunday and have already helped him out with yard work. In fact, we are all going to my dad's on Saturday for a cookout to commemorate his discharge from the hospital and my entering the hospital!

Leejaa: Thank you for your well wishes!

Last edited:
Wow, @Hipster64 a second hip surgery will be scheduled 6 - 12 weeks after the first? Seems like you'll barely have had time to get used to your new hip before they'll be taking the other one out! I hope that doesn't feel too rushed. In some way, I wish I'd been able to do that. I was so convinced after my first surgery last year that I heal and have a grand long time before the other hip needed replacement. Both were arthritic, but the right one, which was replaced, was in the worst shape. In fact, the left one simply wasn't bothering me at all. Well, that all changed after the first surgery. Even as I recovered from surgery it became evident that the left one was beginning to ache. Frankly, I could probably go longer without this second surgery as I'm really not feeling as bad with this hip, just a constant ache which really acts up when sitting, especially in soft chairs. As an avid reader, it is tough to not be able to sit for very long without real discomfort. But, all that's gonna change next week and I'm looking forward to a complete recovery, both hips replaced and then next year--I so earnestly hope--no more hip pain at all, and can focus my attention of living the good life again!

Barbaraj: That's what my fear is on the left hip-that it will quickly deteriorate post right hip surgery-because xray wise it's much worse than the right one, but the right one is more painful, probably because it's doing double duty and taking over for the left one. Right now I'm feeling pretty good but again, I am not doing too much.

I know it seems like I am rushing Surgery #2, but my OS said he can do a subsequent surgery 6-12 weeks post the first one, especially since I have to go back to work. I am hoping to return after Thanksgiving if possible, but put in for a leave of absence until 12/29 just in case. Also, from a health insurance perspective, I will wipe out my $3500 out-of-pocket maximum for the year on Surgery #1, so from a financial standpoint, it's in my best interest to get Surgery #2 done by the end of the year because it will be covered in full. If they do Surgery #2 around 9/30, as they mentioned to me, we're looking at about 10 weeks between both so that's not too bad.

Please keep us posted on life with two replacements. I can only imagine you have nowhere to go but up. Since you're two days after me, I will see you soon on the recovery side!

I did my knee replacements the same year in 2013. I did the worse one first and all went well but knew the right one would need doing also. I was in the grocery store after the first surgery and recovery and I had pain and then realized it was my other knee so I said I am not putting up with this. My surgeries were about 8m apart, mainly because of work schedule but same year and my thought was the same with a $3000 deductible why wait and put up with pain if I can get it all done. I was really happy not to have pain with daily activities as I am sure you will be with your hips. It is a wonderful sensation to feel normal again.

:hi: Happy Saturday!
All ready for Round One? I'll bet you're as ready as can be.
Most likely you've checked all off the list, now the waiting begins. :bored:

Please know that pre-op prep usually runs smoothly and the surgery site care team will keep the mood light putting you at ease. Surgery will quickly be in your rear view and the healing will begin. I'm quite sure you will love the result and look forward to having both surgeries behind you. Keep you're eye on the prize, life will be so much better by the New Year. I'm excited for you! :happydance:
Wishing you comfort as you await Monday.
@Hipster64

Hey, @Hipster64, I think your decision to do your second hip fairly soon after the first makes good sense financially and certainly getting them both done and then being able to sashay into 2020 with two brand spankin' new hips will be great! I had hopes of waiting a L-O-N-G time between surgeries, but only because before the first one the other hip wasn't bothering me at all despite also being arthritic. I suspect I was foolish in this regard but my surgeon didn't point this out to me, and simply said, "well, you will need the other one done at some point so let us know". If I'd realized that as soon as one hip was almost recovered the other one would start kicking up, I'd have gladly made two surgical appointments closer together. I tried really hard to strengthen up the musculature around my glutes, quads and core, and I'm stronger as a result but there is just no denying that the hip ache in my left hip, although not as bad as the first one, is there 24/7 and I'm tired of it. Why wait until it's much, much worse and I'm hobbling badly? So, onwards--it's our week next week, wahoo!

Last edited:
Good luck with your first THR....
I personally think showering with that awful soap got so long was worse than the actual op!![emoji79]

I had my 2nd THR 4 months ago & it’s fabulous...

You will get both yours done this year & be a different person....

Thinking of you... hope the weekend is stress free xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hello! I hope you re enjoying your weekend.. Monday will be here soon! I kind of liked the day before surgery.. it's like I would go into overdrive of sorts and just went about the day, getting things in order. I hope it flows smoothly for you, too! See you on the other side!! :martini:

Thank you all for your well wishes and kind words! I will be thinking of you next week as well, Barbaraj,!
My OS called Friday afternoon and informed me that as long as I recover well from Surgery #1, Surgery #2 will be scheduled for 9/9.

Getting nervous but just want it over with. I will keep you updated in the Post-Op Forum when this is over with. Thanks again! :)

Way cool about a second surgery being scheduled so quickly because, of course, you ARE going to do just fine with hip #1! Have faith and confidence in yourself and your excellent surgical team! Like everyone else, I'm sending positive wishes and hopes your way for Monday. Hoping your the first surgery of the day so you'll be done before noon and well on your way to a solid hippy recovery! Cheers!

Best wishes and healing vibes coming your way for tomorrow @Hipster64 !

September 9th...promising news! I'm sure you'll be ready, willing and able.
You'll be feeling wonderful by the holidays with two shiny new hips. :happydance:
We'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Big hugs!
@Hipster64

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom