THR Xanax for muscle relaxer?

Laylalu12

Country
United States United States
Hi and thanks for this forum. I had an anterior hip replacement on 6/28, outpatient. They got me up and walking at the surgical center and I’ve had no problems walking at home or doing the PT bed exercises.
I don’t have pain in my hip but I still have muscle pain in my thigh, below the incision, periodically. I’ve tried twice to take Tramadol for it when I couldn’t sleep due to this pain, but when I wake up I’m dizzy, nauseous, and feel horrible, like I might pass out.
I’m also taking Tylenol, meloxicam and baby aspirin.
I don’t want to take anymore tramadol or other opioids (I had a very bad reaction to hydrocodone when I broke my wrist a few years ago).
A friend said Xanax would help relieve muscle pain and my anxiety about not being able to sleep because of it.
Has anyone ever tried this? And did it work?
Or any other non-opioid?
Thanks!

djklaugh

Staff member since December 30, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Laylalu12 Welcome to BoneSmart! I am sorry you are having such trouble with pain control and sleep. I would strongly urge you to call your surgeon and get a different pain medication since Tramadol is causing you unpleasant side effects.

While Xanax can help with anxiety and might help you sleep it really does not help with pain. Plus it can be highly addictive. IMO (not a doctor or a nurse) it would not be a good choice for you at this point in time.

Are you elevating your leg and applying ice? Both of those can help a lot with pain. Also here is additional information about managing after surgery:

Proposed new global macro:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

CricketHip

Staff member since June 5, 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I had a car accident last summer and was given xanax for the neck and rib spasms, but only enough for three days. So I agree with @djklaugh about that not being the best choice for you at this time. I doubt any Dr would give you and enough medicine to really help.
I am guessing if you speak to your OS office that they would be able to figure out something that you can take.
I seem to recall that some of our members were prescribed a muscle relaxer but can't imagine that helping much with the pain, but haven't had to use them in the past, well, not for many years, I do recall that they made me very sleepy.
I really think that if you contact the surgeons office that they would have some solution for you. If not, maybe your family doctor who may know your medical history in more depth.

Glad you are here! Hang around, there's so much to read and learn from here!

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Please speak to your surgeon about the appropriate medication for your symptoms. Only someone familiar with your entire medical history should be commenting on what medication you should be taking.

OP
OP
L

Laylalu12

Country
Thanks for the input and support. I’m going to call the doc tomorrow. I’m just very leery of the opioids as I’ve reacted badly to two of them so far.
Maybe I’ll just need to tough it out with ice, Tylenol and meloxicam. I know some people are able to do this.

OP
OP
L

Laylalu12

Country
Another question: do most people take a break from the comptression socks during the day? And for how how long?

Eman85

big-cheese
Country
I can't tell you about compression socks, I never had them. As far as pain meds go that should all be by OS recommendations and they should be aware of your previous reaction to any meds. I wouldn't go off script with any meds for pain relief. What bed exercises? Are you doing leg lifts, bridges, or abduction? It doesn't take much to make the muscles sore. Maybe increase the ice and celebrate with a PT holiday or 2.

hhhooray

Country
I had to.. lol. Either that or scratch them (and myself) to pieces. I found when I was awake I moved my feet, ankles and legs quite a bit. For me, after the first week, it was mostly when I slept.

I'm interested to see how others handled them.

ljpviper

Country
This absolutely hits me in the gut. Benzos should not be prescribed for anything other than anxiety for a short time, ie panic attacks. I was prescribed them for sleep back in 2006. Surprise, when trying to get off them they change your brain chemistry, its a complete nightmare . The doctors know nothing of the dangers of benzos. They are highly addictive and can alter your chemistry in as little as two weeks of use.

Its a huge epidemic around the world.

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Another question: do most people take a break from the comptression socks during the day? And for how how long
Since the protocol for this varies so greatly from surgeon to surgeon, and many don’t even prescribe compression socks, it’s best you phone your surgeon’s office on this and get advice from his / her care team.

OP
OP
L

Laylalu12

Country
Thanks to all for the info. A quick update: for the past 2 days I’ve only taking Tylenol and meloxicam for pain. The good news is that I haven’t had much pain, so I don’t think I’ll need to take the opioids or anything else narcotic at this point. What a relief! I just don’t think that I can tolerate opioids well at all. Anyway, I talked to the doctors office and they said it’s good if the non opioids do the trick.
I cannot believe how much better I feel with those opioids out of my body. Science really has to come up with a better way to manage pain. After all, we figured out how to send people to the moon
I also asked about the compression stockings. They recommend two weeks for the surgical leg, and one week for the nonsurgical leg, unless there is swelling or other problems. So tomorrow I will get to take off the one on my right leg for good! Yay!

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and enjoying steady improvement.
Please stay in touch and update as time allows. All the best!
@Laylalu12

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Easteach
Recent bookmarks