BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

X2Mangie’s pre op journey

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by X2mangie, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I think you'd be wasting your time trying to discuss it with the PT.
    Just tell him/her at your first appointment that you will be co-operative, but you will not allow any exercises that take you beyond discomfort into pain, that you do not want the PT to push or pull on your knee, and that you will not exercise to what you consider to be excess.

If the PT can't follow your wishes, there's no need to argue. Just leave. You can do exercises at home, or look for another clinic, where they will respect your wishes. Your knee can recover, even if you do no formal PT. Your normal activities of daily living will be enough exercise for it.

It's your knee and you have the absolute right to say what you will allow to happen to it. You don't have to please your PT. She/he has to please you.
    Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I agree with Celle and I will not be going to PT next time. I’ve seen, countless times, where Josephine asks members what exercises they are doing, and when they tell her, she tells the member to stop doing them as they are causing pain and swelling, or are not even appropriate for a knee replacement.

We think our medical professionals know what they are doing, and we trust them, only to find out later that there are many contradictory opinions on this recovery. So, there’s no one right way, and we can choose for ourselves how we recover. I didn’t know that before finding Bonesmart.

I also don’t like confrontation. I wouldn’t try to change their minds, I’ll just do what I think is best for me next time.

3. X2mangie

X2mangie member

Thanks @Jockette and @Celle! I guess I will play it by ear and just be firm about what I am willing to do. :umm:

• Like Like x 1
  4. X2mangie

X2mangie member

Thanks, @SusieShoes !! I did have to go back today for another blood draw....am assuming they forgot to include something.:shrug:

5. X2mangie

X2mangie member

I got lucky and found a recliner that lifts also....used and ugly as all get out, but it is in good shape and will do the trick. Silly me, I thought I could just toss it in the back of my RAV4......nope! Those turkeys are HEAVY!! My son will help me with his truck after Christmas. I also picked up a very nice walker from a friend. On the way home, I stopped at Starbucks for a coffee and , while in line at the drive thru, I had my foot on the brake when I got the most amazing shooting pain in my right knee. I am so happy I threw on the parking brake before moving my knee....otherwise, I am sure I would have crashed into the car ahead of me! I live in the mountains with a very windy road, so getting home was interesting....further proof that I really can’t put this surgery off!
    My pre op with the surgeon is the third and my husband is going (again, at my insistence.)Planning on a talk with him on the way home reiterating that I will certainly need help, at least for a bit, and to tell him what, exactly, that will be. Can’t expect him to read my mind. And I also know I will have to adjust my thinking. There will be things that are not done around here the way I would do them and I am just gonna have to accept that. Ugh! I have always been so independent, but this will also be my motivation to get back to driving and work and independence!

6. X2mangie

X2mangie member

Thanks @SusieShoes ! Idid have to go back for another test my surgeon ordered, but that was 10 days ago, so I am assuming all it’s well there. I talked at length with my surgical coordinator today in which I expressed my concerns regarding my husbands PTSD and my allergies to adhesives of any sort and many drugs. She put my mind at relative ease and emailed my surgical team, too.
    My restless leg syndrome is awful tonight....just can’t stop the twitchies! Since it is 3:20 am, I may as well try googling for some ideas regarding that
    Hugs to you all!:yawn:

7. X2mangie

X2mangie member

:dancy:I read somewhere, here, I think, that 50mg of Tramadol might solve the restless legs and sure enough! It worked! Thank God!

8. X2mangie

X2mangie member

Oh my stars! My pre op is tomorrow. The office called to ask why I had not done the bloodwork, EKG and gotten the ok from my GP. What? All of this was done Dec 17, which I explained, then called my GP to get everything faxed again.They did and I called to make sure with the OS. Nope! Not there! It is now 4:45 and they close at 5:00! OS is saying they will not do pre op tomorrow without bloodwork and I can feel myself ramping up with anxiety. Called GP back and pleaded for them to fax it right then! At 4:58, I was assured that they had all arrived.....whew! Too close for comfort! Everything seems to be in place now and I am glad. I am ready for next Tuesday, really ready.....mentally accepted this needs to happen. And happy There is the technology to make it a reality:flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun junior member

So glad everything worked out! How nerve wracking!

• Like Like x 1
  10. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

Glad to know all this got worked out. How stressful on top of everything else!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. X2mangie

X2mangie member

Yep, it was a reminder to double, triple check because I was still lacking two tests when I got to my pre op!! Luckily, I was able to do those labs right then and there!
    I ran thru a bunch of stuff with my hubs yesterday....coffee pot, washer and dryer, vacuum, ice machine,etc. we cleaned most of the day. I seem to be in a nesting phase.....I want everything in good shape when I limp out of here on Tuesday (6:00 AM....ugh) I usually go thru this when we are leaving and, of course, with babies.:giggle: It has been interesting watching myself thru this.
    Last night, I had a really terrible nightmare regarding the surgery. I am not gonna share it because I don’t want it in anyone else’s mind, but suffice to say I got up and made some chamomile tea just to chill out. As I sat there, I made a list of all things I will be able to do once both knees are done.....everything from getting down to the toilet easily to getting back to hiking the beautiful mountains I live in. It helped a lot and I decided to keep this list handy for my recovery time.:hiking:

• Like Like x 1
  12. X2mangie

X2mangie member

Ok, Gota message from Os.....because of my allergy to adhesives, he is gonna use a wound vac. No explanation about what it is...anyone know?

13. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I would question your surgeon further. The people here who have used a wound vac have stated that it is attached with tape to provide an airtight seal, so i am not sure that is going to help you.

Can't he staple the wound closed?

I just made a new year's resolution to accept help and even more to ask for it when necessary. I am having a man come tomorrow to do some work around my house. I am sick and tired of doing everything myself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I had a wonderful PT who never caused me a minute of pain and who helped me to do the exercises correctly so that I was able to rebuild my muscles. The PT cannot read your mind, tell them what you want. If they do not listen, there is another PT in that clinic who will, just ask for someone else--hopefully for someone who was trained in TKR rehab within the last five or six years. Don't worry, you will make it work.

15. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I wonder if he didn't explain fully?
    A wound vac isn't normally used unless you have an infection.

He could use sutures or clips/staples to close your wound, and then a dressing over the incision could be held in place using a crepe bandage.

And, from my recent experience when my husband had a wound infection, the wound vac had to be held in place using extensive adhesive dressings, to secure an airtight seal. It isn't possible to secure it without those adhesive dressings.

Would it be possible to discuss this further with your surgeon?

16. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    • Like Like x 1
  17. X2mangie

X2mangie member

Thanks @Josephine ! I will call office immediately....he already nixed the Coban/ crepe bandaging

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  18. X2mangie

X2mangie member

We leave the house tomorrow at 6:00AM to make it down the hill for my 9:00AM appointment for check in for my TRKR. I am apprehensive to scared silly, bit I know that I have done everything I can do to find the perfect surgeon. I have had a lot of attention this week from different offices checking on my medications arrival time etc. That gives me a lot of comfort. They seem to be on top of it. I have let them know about my husband severe PTSD from Vietnam. I have thoroughly cleaned my house and then all laundry. Starting to pack the few things I will take with me. All in all, I feel pretty prepared. :dubious: Big, gentle hugs! See you on the other side!:wow:

19. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:console2::console2:
    The very best of wishes!!!

20. X2mangie

X2mangie member

@Celle , that was my idea, but he doesn’t like the Coban/ crepe bandaging.I have a call into the office now, but if I don’t hear back you can bet I will be discussing this tomorrow morning! I do not need weeping blisters on top of everything else! Thank you for your reply! See you on the other side! :yes!: