BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

X2Mangie’s pre op journey

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by X2mangie, Oct 16, 2018.

1. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

United States United States
    Today was interesting. I got an email from my OS office. They had me down for surgery on 1/18/19. I was told, originally, that it was 1/8/19. I figured that that could have been a typo, you know 1/8 or 1/18. And it turned out I was right!! I am SO grateful that I double checked it!! I also received my ice machine (motorized air cast Cryo cuff). I haven’t used it yet, but I am happy to have it here.:happydance:

2. beachy

beachy post-grad

I would definitely hook up the cryo cuff and play with it now. I waited until a few days before surgery, hooked it up, tested it and that was it.
    I should have used it several times before surgery because there was more to it that we didn’t figure out until a few days after surgery.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

Oh! Good call! Thanks! How are you doing, @beachy?

4. beachy

beachy post-grad

Doing well, thanks!
    Finally in a routine where I know what works and what doesn’t. Today is 1 week!

• Like Like x 1
  5. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

I Originally set my surgery in January because a) I didn’t even want to think about it.....being somewhat still in denial and b) my surgeon was happy as his schedule was slammed Today, 6 weeks later, I am regretting that decision. It feels like my whole body is giving up! Now, both knees are screaming and swollen, but what hurts the most are my lumbar back, thighs, calves, butt! I know I am standing strangely and stressing the musculature big time. I have cut my hours to half time (massage therapist) and I even use a roll around stool a bit. I still have 11 weeks to go! Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!:roseshwr:

6. beachy

beachy post-grad

Can you see if there is an earlier date available? Or a cancellation list?
    I know how you feel. I put mine off too long.

7. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Tell your surgeon you want to be top of his list for cancellations. Have all your tests done (the ones that can be done ahead of time, like if he wants a cardiac stress test, or an allergist). The blood work will have to be within a few weeks, but you can get that done quickly (same day even) if need be.

Cancellations happen. I was literally prepped for surgery the other day (not knees) when I heard nurses calling patients for another surgeon to see if someone scheduled later in the day could get to the OR quickly. Yep, a cancellation. Someone didn’t do their prep. For knees, cancellations are unlikely to be THAT last minute, but you might get lucky and get an earlier date.

8. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 junior member

@X2mangie I am so sorry to hear your body is rebelling on you all at once. I know what you mean about wanting to change your mind about scheduling. I was originally having my right TKR next May, but once my back, hips, glutes and hanstrings started rebelling TOO, I moved it up to December. I truly hope you can get an earlier date.

I finally resorted to going to a chiropractor, as I have 20 visits a year and already met my out of pocket for this year. I figured if they're going to be free, maybe it will help get me by for awhile. I'm not a hug fan of chiropractic care, but not against it either. My first session Wednesday made a world of difference, so I'm going to keep going if I need to.

It helps ME to read what you're dealing with though. I didn't know everything surrounding our knees could rebel like this. I thought maybe I was just stressed and tense. The chiropractor told me No, all our surrounding muscles and joints are compensating and overworked because our knees have failed us. Makes sense!!!

9. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Very true that our knees can affect other parts of our bodies. My back and leg muscles seemed to improve quite a bit after I recovered from my tkr.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

@kneeper and @Rockgirl4 and @SusieShoes I was not prepared for the rest of the body to start acting up, for sure. Although, it makes perfect sense. I called my OS last Friday to see about the cancellation list, but the scheduler had already left for the weekend. I will call in the am and see what I can do.
    @beachy Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery! I haven’t tried the Ice machine yet. My husband said he would help me yesterday and then either forgot or got busy...... hard to tell with him. He will be gone tomorrow and I have the day off, so I will try it by myself. I can’t quit figure out how I have the cuff inflated and laying on the couch AND plug it in to start it at the same time, but I guess I will figure it out:rotfl: Thanks, you guys, for your support!! Means a lot!

11. beachy

beachy post-grad

My cryo cuff has a switch that starts the inflation/cooling. Hubs fills with frozen water bottles and ice, puts it next to my recliner on a tv tray and plugs it in. I place the cuff around knee and secure it where I want it. Then reach over and turn it on. I can adjust the flow of ice water and reposition the cuff whenever I wa nt. I also have a fresh frozen gel pack under my knee.
    We go through this a couple times a day and before bed.

This is why I wish we had some trial runs before surgery. It took a few days to get the routine down. One day it just wouldn't work and I was planning to return it and see how fast I could get a replacement. Just what I want to do a few days post op. After a few minutes we realized hubs didn't plug it in. :hairpulling:

12. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

@beachy Oh man! That sounds like something mine would do! I am really trying to give him the space to show me that he is capable of taking care of me. He is very self centered, so that worries me a lot. I am trying to train myself to ask (specifically) for what I want/need now, so we are both used to it by the time my surgery rolls around. He made a great dinner last night, so that is a great start:ok: Also, I am preparing to deal with physical therapy. Scheeesh....Hope you have an easy, healing day!

13. beachy

beachy post-grad

It was an honest mistake and became a joke.

In my case it's been trial and error. I leave lots of room for both. Let's call it a learning curve LOL.
    I screw up, he screws up. We eventually find something to laugh about. I didn't know how much help I would need at first. He didn't know either but we figured it out as we went.

There are many people who don't have a loving spouse or partner to help them. I try to remember that when I get annoyed with mine. And then I feel grateful and tell him.

As long as you have the equipment and some of the little helpful things you'll be fine.
    Just remember to plug in the cryo cuff :rofsign:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

@beachy I used the Cryo cuff last night.... works well:roseshwr: I used 3 frozen water bottles and water and I am in LOVE with the thing! I also got my lounge doctor today and am elevating right now. I babysat my 1 and 3 year old grand babies today....phew! Hope you are healing well!

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. beachy

beachy post-grad

You need that after babysitting a 1 yo and 3 yo!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

:puppysmooze: Yep, still on it, with my little Cairn Terrior in my lap! I think she is gonna be happy to have me home once I have my surgery!

17. beachy

beachy post-grad

I'm glad it's helping you. And puppy snuggles to top it off! The best.

18. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

:flwrysmile:Has anyone used the Active Scar Shield? Also, since my OS nixed the AquaCell bandaging for me (severe allergy to adhesives) and I imagine I will be having gauze, any tricks for waterproofing that so I can take a shower? I don’t love the idea of no showers for 2 weeks!! Thanks! I hope you are all having a terrific day!!

19. flsungirl

flsungirl member

You are so fortunate to have found BoneSmart early on. I wish I would have sooner! I kept postponing my knee replacement surgery until one day when my orthopedic doctor asked me what my quality of life was. And when I seriously thought about it I realized I had none. I had just adjusted to not doing anything for years. I am way too young to be living like this! So we set up surgery for 2 months after that visit to give me time to get everything set up, including time off of work. It’s not been easy, especially when my surgery was cancelled 2 weeks before because the hospital didn’t take my insurance. You figure that would be something they should have looked into 2 months earlier! Then I got a call a week later and was told I was scheduled for outpatient the following week September 10.

Just now that it’s a roller coaster with good and bad days. Sometimes wondering why did you do this to yourself! I am almost 7 weeks post op and can finally say mostly good days. Be aware of PT and follow your bodies signals. If it hurts....stop. Best advice you will come to know.

Good luck with your surgery. New year new knee!:mooncat:

• Like Like x 1
  20. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

Thanks @flsungirl ! I am slowly getting stuff I will need....gotta watch finances as I am self employed and if I don’t work, I don’t get paid! BoneSmart has been really wonderful! My next thing may have to be a recliner....I would rather not, but my couch is pretty soft and I am having trouble now getting off it. Was that a problem for you?