• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[PARTIAL KR] Wowsers!

T-bone

Country
United States United States
Am one week out post PKR on my left knee and all is going very well and, at this point, couldn’t be more pleased. My road to the PKR has been a long one and littered with hurdles. The biggest one is because I had a patellectomy in that knee many years ago. That, along with the other 18 surgeries on that knee; had shattered my confidence.

Surgery went well and I spent one night in the hospital. Had great flexion and extension when discharged (thank you long acting block). The next day not so much. I’d stiffened up and bending it was rough. Did the exercises I was given and iced faithfully. Now have 95 degrees flexion and am walking, at times, unaided with little pain other than the stiffness and surgical pain. Extension isn’t great but not unexpected due to my missing patella.

I know it’s going to be an up and down recovery period and am hoping for more ups than downs. Also hoping for many years with my PKR before I get a TKR. TKRs in people without patellar are hit and miss

Lurked in this forum while deciding whether or not to pull the trigger on the PKR and felt that I needed to share my story - especially if there are other patellectomy “victims” out there contemplating how to get relief from their pain.

Will let y’all know how my journey continues. Thanks for the great forum!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @T-bone - and :welome: to recovery.

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement, your patellectomy and any other significant surgeries on your knee - also which knee it is - so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

One of our Forum Advisors, @sistersinhim , has had bilateral patellectomies, as well as a total knee replacement (TKR). I'll ask her to come and talk to you.
I'm not aware that TKRs are "hit and miss" after a patellectomy, but I guess that's what your surgeon told you.

I'm glad you're prepared for an up-and-down recovery. Progress can sometimes be frustratingly slow and uneven, and complete recovery may take as long as a full year - but it will be worth it in the end.

Here are the post-op recovery guidelines and a list of helpful articles:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

sistersinhim

Country
Good morning, @T-bone. Please tell us your surgery history and dates. This will help us advise you better.

I had my left kneecap removed in 1991. My right was removed in '93. I had a scope and lateral release on each knee in 2005 and another scope in 2015 on the right. I was told I was bone on bone then and needed a TKR. I immediately began my search for a surgeon who had done a TKR on a knee without a kneecap. I 'interviewed' 4 or them. Everyone of them said there would be little difference in the surgery except there would be no patella to have to work on. I also found Bonesmart then that aided me in knowing what to expect.

Extension isn’t great but not unexpected due to my missing patella.
This isn't true for me. Your extension will probably be just as good or better than it was before your PKR. My extension is 0, but was longer coming in than my bend. With no patellas, my knees will always be weaker than those who have kneecaps, but they haven't hindered me from doing the things I want and need to do.
I know it’s going to be an up and down recovery period
This is true for every knee joint replacement. Some good days, some bad days. Just listen to your knee on those bad days and don't do what you did to make it a bad one for a week or so. Then, you can try it again. If you have a good day, then your knee is ready for that particular action.
TKRs in people without patellar are hit and miss
This is so untrue. I've not heard of any increased problems in patients without patellas. My recovery was normal. I chose to not take formal PT and rehabbed on my own just walking around, increasing my steps as my knee allowed without increased swelling or pain.

If you have any questions, be sure to ask me. You can tag me by typing @sistersinhim.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

T-bone

Country
Can someone please remove my post. My intention in posting was to encourage people who are starting their knee journey. Yes I’ve had a patellectomy and many people do well with them but my circumstances, due to the 15 other knee surgeries I’ve had, have prevented me from the best case scenario. Some things are not possible for me but I have always worked full time and actively participate in sports. I am proud of my journey because I’ve worked my tail off. To be told that so many of the things I said were untrue is unfair to that journey.

I wish everyone the very best. Hard work and a great attitude will take you far.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Some things are not possible for me but I have always worked full time and actively participate in sports. I am proud of my journey because I’ve worked my tail off. To be told that so many of the things I said were untrue is unfair to that journey.
I'm sorry you feel that way @T-bone . I don't think anyone has told you that what you said was untrue.
What we said was that, in our experience, having a TKR after a patellectomy is not hit-and-miss, although that may be what your surgeon told you.

There are always differences of opinions between surgeons. That's normal. sistersinhim also had multiple surgeries on her knees before having bilateral patellectomies and her surgeon had no qualms about giving her a TKR.

You're proud of your recovery, and so you should be. Every knee is different and what suits one knee may not suit another. We love to hear about people's different experiences, so please tell us more.

However, if you choose not to participate any further, then just don't post any more.
We wish you well, whatever your decision.

sistersinhim

Country
I am so sorry I upset you. You asked for other experiences with a patellectomy and I gave you mine. I've also had numerous knee surgeries, starting in 1983. I was even told back then that I'd have to have total knee replacements eventually because of my inherited bad knees.

I did lots of study through the years about knee replacements and told you my experiences from my studies and surgeries. Please forgive me for upsetting you, but as Celle said, every knee condition and surgery is different than anyone else's. Please don't go, we only want to help you the best way we can.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
T-Bone, Please accept my apology for anything said here that may have upset you. Our staff who greeted you was in no way trying to diminish all you've been through and where you are today after your partial knee replacement. Quite the opposite, sistersinhim was trying to help you see that it's possible for your knee to be better than you imagine.

Of course, only you know your body and how it is doing. But having 95 degrees of flexion 1 week out from surgery is fabulous. You're still very early in the recovery process and there is much time left for additional improvements for you.

We really want you to stay with BoneSmart and continue to tell of your recovery journey. It will mean so much to those who follow you in surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dja724
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom