Wow!! What a Fall!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skigirl

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
I was skiing with two friends last Thursday on a steep bump run. The snow was thick and deep!!

I skied the run twice, but on the third time, my tip got stuck in the snow and I went head over heels, so to speak!!

I heard a big POP! and I was really worried!! I lay in the snow, almost afraid to move becaUse I was worried about my knee. Then, I realiezed that my calf hurt--YES, I was so happy to realize that my knee did not hurt!!

I jumped up to say, yah and promptly fell over again. My friends called the ski patrol to drag me down the mountain. They took me on a snow machine instead of a sled, thank goodness.

I have torn my gastrox? muscle and may have a partial tear of the achilles tendon. But, my knee is absolutely fine!!! I have to use crutches for a week--yuk!! and then go see the doc again to see if they want to do a MRI--but, I am feeling better already, so don't think it will be necessary.

Next week is the last week of skiing--I hope to at least ski the last day!! My pt says maybe!!

At any rate, that was a wonderful fall--I flipped over completely and then flipped again when I tried to stand up--it was a steep run---but, two flips and my knees are just fine--what a relief!! Kelly

Kelly, you are amazing. You are absolutely the only person I know who would find glee in a fall like this!!!:rolleyespink: But I do understand the feeling that your knees are fine after something so traumatic. What a testimony to the strength of these implants!!!

Now....I hope you are feeling better each day and that your recovery from this injury is easy on you. I have no idea what it would mean to tear a muscle like that.....it sounds serious to me. But I know you'll be fine....your spirit always keeps you on top of things!

Take care and let us know how you're doing.....I'm sending you a BIG ((((HUG))))!!!

Oh...and here is a link to a site that shows the muscle itself and its function...pretty interesting.

Wow....that was some fall. I'm so glad you knee is okay, but that is tough about the calf muscle or gastrocnemius. I guess that is what you tore. Anyway, it's great that you are feeling better.

Wow! What a testament! I am truly sorry to read of your injury---especially to your Achilles---but your knee is tough as nails! Be careful of the Achilles---I have known several who have fully torn it---but then again, I know how much you love to ski! Here is to the last day of the season!

God gives us joy in bad things! Praise be!
Hope you heal up really quickly, petal!

Oooo Kelly that sounds scary to me. I'm so glad your knees are ok. I hope you heal soon with no problems. What did your doc say about skiing on it until you get your final tests. I know one of the things my doc told me is to drop and roll if I fall. Like you can think that fast. The risk for us is that the bones can break above and below the implant.

Glad your so spunky and were able to brush it off. Your amazing.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010

Sorry to hear that your season might be over but glad it looks all OK for next year. It's really hard to not immediately think I've damaged the prosthesis when there is all this other stuff which you can still hurt. I had this thing going where I had this funny pain at the top of my kneecap and was thinking all these bad things (it's comming loose....). Turned out I think it was plain old patellar tendonitis from too much skiing.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Get well quickly.

I completely understand your attitude. It is really nice to hear again that with your new knees that you are in charge.

That you have the ability to take risks, ski the bumps, etc. and that your knees are not holding you back.

Not to be mean, but it is exciting to me that you can take a fall like that an limp away and it is NOT your knee causing trouble.

It is another example that there is a good chance that my new knees(and anyone else reading your thread) will be "good enough".

Thanks for sharing,and for not be afraid to choose to take risks.

Hi Kelly,
Glad to hear you are fine (well relatively) makes me feel good for next season! With the gastronemius muscle tear, my mom did hers a few years ago and was racing (carefully and in pain) 3 weeks later. The achilles, that is a different story, let that one heal!
Congrats on getting over that "hurdle"...literally....

Kelly...all I can say is take care of those injuries. I am so pleased that God put a little buffer around you!!! Do what you KNOW is best for you. :friends:

Kelly - with your attitude and proven ability to rehab wisely you will be out there again when it is right for you. Congratulations on putting yourself in a position to take a fall like that. It took lots of hard work to replace your knees and rehab your legs so you can feel free to do what you love and get those thrills and take those risks. That is what it is all about!

Kelly, you are a die hard athlete! Hope your back in action before the last day of skiing or that the mountains in your area receive additional snow so you can have one last run this season. You've earned it. Quick healing & your story has given me a much more positive outlook on the strength & durability of our devices.

Boy, Kelly, what a positive spin (literally) on your fall!!! You are one absolutely amazing lady! You had me holding my breath to see how your knees made out. So sorry for your pain and injuries. I know you will work on healing very quickly.

It's time to pull out your knitting and enjoy some relaxation. Take care and please give us an update soon.
Maggie

Thanks to all of you for the kind wishes!! The ski patroller kept saying i cannot believe that you still have a smile on your face---even laughing.

but, he has no idea of what pain is really---sorry, but a calf pain does not even come close!!

and, he does not know what it means to have a bad fall and then still have a functioning knee!!

I actually felt happy most of the time, except when they took off my ski boot, which was super painful.

but, my knees have changed me--I don't worry so much about the little stuff now. And, yes, Gene, I think our knees are good enough!! Welcome to life!Kelly

Yikes, today I was walking the dog and my calf felt pretty good, then, I had to climb up a little hill and yowee that hurt!!! Tomorrow I am going to smash my calf into a ski boot and see if I can stand it!! Kelly

Oh Kelly ooh ooh ouch - that's gonna hurt, isn't it?

Yikes, today I was walking the dog and my calf felt pretty good, then, I had to climb up a little hill and yowee that hurt!!! Tomorrow I am going to smash my calf into a ski boot and see if I can stand it!! Kelly

That's what the extra pills are for that are laying around after the last surgery. :secretaea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks