Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

THR Wound vac questions

sdgrandma

Country
United States United States
My husband had a right total hip replacement on Sept. 10th, 2020. He had revision surgery for multiple dislocations on Oct. 16th, and a second revision on Nov. 10th for the same problem with repeat dislocations. He wore a hip abduction brace from Nov. 3rd until the surgery on the 10th. This time the doctor used a constrainer liner in the socket. They put a small negative pressure wound vac (Provena Plus) and dressing on the incision and put the abduction brace back on.
The reservoir on the wound vac pump was empty until late Saturday evening, and then there was a little blood in the tubing. Yesterday (Sunday) morning the 150 ml reservoir filled up in 4 hours. We talked to the on call PA twice and he made arrangements for me to go in and pick up a second reservoir. Last night it was half full and the drainage overnight was minimal. He had no answers for why the wound had started to drain. The drainage looked like fresh blood, not old blood.

My questions: 1) Has anyone had experience with a wound vac? 2) Is it normal for a wound to start draining 5 days after surgery instead of right away? 3) The pump is programmed to run for 7 days and will turn off tomorrow night about 9 pm. Then I am supposed to remove the pressure dressing and pump. Has anyone done this? The Provena website says the dressing should be removed by a healthcare professional, but his return appointment is not until two weeks post op and I am worried about leaving the same dressing in place for another week. The surgeon is not in the office on Mondays and his assistant is out with Covid.

clodaghcov

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello,you are doing well helping your husband i had wound vac and mine started leaking after 5 days, mine was caused by a haematoma and better out than in, I really think a healthcare professional should remove this,could your general practice nurse help out? Much better to for the drainage to come out.Good luck and i hope this hip stays in placexx

OP
OP
sdgrandma

sdgrandma

Country
United States United States
I’m sorry you had to have a wound vac, too. Thank you for the information that your drainage started at 5 days. That is reassuring. And I agree—I’d rather it drain out than stay inside and delay healing. I’m going to call the office in the morning and ask them to remove the dressing since the pump is programmed to stop tomorrow.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Chanel5
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom