THR Wound Dehiscence

Saffron Blu

Country
United States United States
Hello Fellow THR,

I had my first anterior (L) THR on 6/6/22. I was recently diagnosed as having bilateral hip dysplasia that apparently I was born this way, but six years ago this condition presented itself and began affecting me.

I'm under 50 yrs of age. Prior to finally finding an experienced orthopedic surgeon who was willing to perform surgery on me. I was bone on bone and in a lot of PAIN.

I went back to work in a week's time! I know tongues were wagging including my PCP and surgeon. I was told the average time off is three months. I'm definitely taking three months off for my other hip surgery.

My concern is, I have a small section of my surgical incision that keeps on opening back up. I believe it's called a wound dehiscence. My surgeon treated it, but opened itself back up. He said that he cannot operate on my other hip as long as my incision remains open.

I've tried medical glue several times, steri strips, left the wound covered and uncovered. This darn thing just won't heal up completely! It'll heal with a scab then the scab falls off by itself and leaves a small deep hole in my thigh and then the healing process starts all over again. The surgeon has debrided my wound and clean it out, but I'm in this neverending cycle. I cover the wound when I shower.

My question is should I go in to get stitches for the wound? What will make the wound completely close? I don't want to wound to heal open.

Please advise and thank you.

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Saffron Blu Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry you are dealing with an open incision. What is your surgeon's suggestion for this?

Can you get referred to a plastic surgeon? They are often consulted in these situations.

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hopefully it'll lighten as time goes on.
Yes it will, to a thin white line. Please let us know when you get your other hip scheduled. We'll be here to cheer you on. I hope you have a nice holiday weekend!

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Have a wonderful week. :)
@Saffron Blu

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads